Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,276,130 Views | 10508 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by QBCade
GarlandAg2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Available at my local grocery of choice as well, I'll be sure to check it out.
GBMont3
AG
Looking to add a few Washington State producers to my list. I'm sure a few have been posted here but I'd love to refresh the list. Happy with either Specs/Total Wine in-stocks or mailing list only. Who/what do you like?
HTownAg98
Had this tonight with some roasted leg of lamb with earthy spices and chimichurri. Everything went really well together.
greenband
AG
It was a high of 84 in Plano today, so started off with a Rose.

Decanted and finished with an excellent 2004 Italics Meritage. Second bottle of this. Used a corkscrew opener the first time with bad results. Bought an Ah So opener (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0774XBXN6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and it worked fantastic for old corks.

Now is definitely the time to drink this - smooth tannins but still some fruit. I think Taylor at Italics still might have some available.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Love the classic GSM blend. Cool to see the Carignan as well.
YouBet
AG
PSA - cool article in the latest Spirit Magazine on Aggie winemakers and A&M's foray into the business (freaking finally!!!!!!). Several folks on here highlighted in the article including Italics who I'm not familiar with but seen discussed on here.
bularry
GBMont3 said:

Looking to add a few Washington State producers to my list. I'm sure a few have been posted here but I'd love to refresh the list. Happy with either Specs/Total Wine in-stocks or mailing list only. Who/what do you like?
Look into Force Majures and Gramercy Cellars. Both make Bordeaux and Rhone wines.

Upchurch is another to look into. I've had a few Gorman wines I really liked

those I just thought of real quick.
cecil77
AG
YouBet said:

PSA - cool article in the latest Spirit Magazine on Aggie winemakers and A&M's foray into the business (freaking finally!!!!!!). Several folks on here highlighted in the article including Italics who I'm not familiar with but seen discussed on here.
And at least two mentioned have posted at one point on this thread!
cecil77
AG
Most Texas wineries are open tomorrow. Great way to get out and enjoy Memorial Day weekend - visit a Texas winery!
aggiecive
AG
Has anyone actually had wine from the de Negoce deals?
JCA1
AG
aggiecive said:

Has anyone actually had wine from the de Negoce deals?

Pretty sure none have even been bottled yet, much less shipped.
aggiejumper
AG
Correct. I'm curious to hear the first reviews.
mek94
AG
I believe the first ones are bottling now. I got in on the Stagecoach cab franc and merlot, and the Coombsville cab sauv, so I'm hoping for good daily drinkers. Am a little concerned about shipping this close to summer. Anyone have any thoughts on it? I know they will hold and ship later, but I am anxious to try.
JCA1
AG
Read on berserkers that they will for hold for summer for $5.
mek94
AG
Yep, which is not a bad deal but I want to try some of this stuff now to see if it is worth buying through the summer. If it ships to Texas supposedly climate controlled, how bad is a half day or so on a FedEx or UPS truck?
PFG
AG
And it's summer in Texas until November. So yeah. I'd just have it shipped.
cecil77
AG
I normally suspend any shipping 5/1 through 11/1. But there's so many good deals now, many including cold shipping that I'm finding it difficult to resist. We're consuming as much as every, but inventory is rising!
HTownAg98
I paired this with some leftover puttanesca sauce over fried eggs. It was an amazing pairing that I will definitely do again.
jh0400
AG
We love barbera. It pairs well with a lot of food and is a great value.
HTownAg98
High acid low tannin wines tend to pair well with a wide variety of foods. That's why sommeliers love them.
That one isn't a great value ($27), but it's an excellent wine.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Had this bottle over the weekend, really nice Pinot. If I remember right there are a lot of Cakebread fans on here. I love Anderson Valley Pinots.
752bro4
AG
752bro4 said:

Need some help/idea for a gift for my wife. Looking for a 2014 vintage of a Napa Cab. The 2014 and Napa part are requirements as the year holds a certain significance for the occasion, and she mostly drinks Cabs (and will be sharing!)

Initial glance is 2014 Screaming Eagle or Scarecrow. Any other suggestions/thoughts or connections for obtaining something? To double down, I'd like to be able to obtain a 2020 of the same when the time comes. Not saying no budget, but close to no budget.
These showed up today.

Thriller
AG
YouBet
AG
HTownAg98 said:

High acid low tannin wines tend to pair well with a wide variety of foods. That's why sommeliers love them.
If you were to force me to only drink 1-2 wines ever again it would probably be Barbera and Barolo.
aggiejumper
AG
Out of curiosity, where did you source those from? They're not the easiest bottles to buy back vintages of.
cecil77
AG
YouBet said:

HTownAg98 said:

If you were to force me to only drink 1-2 wines ever again it would probably be Barbera and Barolo.

Italian food (esp tomato based) is fairly acidic. It would be interesting to know if their grape varieties tendind the the more acidic because of their food, or vice versa or neither...
Austintm
752bro4 said:

752bro4 said:

Need some help/idea for a gift for my wife. Looking for a 2014 vintage of a Napa Cab. The 2014 and Napa part are requirements as the year holds a certain significance for the occasion, and she mostly drinks Cabs (and will be sharing!)

Initial glance is 2014 Screaming Eagle or Scarecrow. Any other suggestions/thoughts or connections for obtaining something? To double down, I'd like to be able to obtain a 2020 of the same when the time comes. Not saying no budget, but close to no budget.
These showed up today.

Ho. Lee. Fark.
HTownAg98
cecil77 said:

YouBet said:

HTownAg98 said:

Italian food (esp tomato based) is fairly acidic. It would be interesting to know if their grape varieties tendind the the more acidic because of their food, or vice versa or neither...

I think this has a lot to do with "if it grows together it goes together." It's not 100% accurate, but it works most of the time.
TP Ag '87
AG
Just jumped on the de Negoce OG N.06 2017 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. We'll see....
cecil77
AG
I think they naturally developed together eons ago. I'm just curious which lead, cuisine or wine? Maybe neither.
752bro4
AG
Benchmark Wine in Napa had 2 on their website. I called and asked if there was more, and they confirmed they had a few more, but 1-2 had slight imperfections to the labels. I told them I'd take 6 including the 2 damaged ones, we negotiated a price, and they cold-shipped to me. I've looked closely at all 6, and can barely find a mark on one of them, and wouldn't have noticed it unless I was told about it.

It was a relatively painless and simple process.
FarmerJohn
AG
cecil77 said:

I think they naturally developed together eons ago. I'm just curious which lead, cuisine or wine? Maybe neither.

I think in the case of Italy, cuisine more followed wine. Wine production in Italy dates to early Greek colonists, though then improved upon by Romans, including the introduction of cellaring. But Roman wine was pretty harsh and high alcohol. It was also a staple, so it was mixed with water and sometimes spices and herbs. This stretched the supply and made it more palatable. The vinegar offer to Christ on the Cross was a standard ration of Roman soldiers. We see this drinking vinegar in the form of shrubs in today's cocktails.

After the fall of Rome, wine dropped in popularity. In Islamic regions (Sicily) it was eliminated during periods of Muslim rule. In Christian lands, wine from grapes remained but fell more under the purview of the Church and monasteries. Beer and alcohol made from grains were the staple of choice. As wine was used for sacraments, purity was more important and the dilution and flavoring was abandoned. Wine returned starting in the high Renaissance. Probably with the fascination with the ancients, but remember that they didn't have recipes to refer to. So they took their cues from the only wine makers around, the Church.

High acid in Italian food is a later addition. There certainly was citrus, but the big red tomato sauce didn't come in until the late 18th century. For a while they thought tomatoes poisonous. Pestos were also a later addition as well as the focus on herbs instead of spices. This was due to a movement to have an "Italian" cuisine. Think of it as an extension of Italian nationalism. As much of the innovation in cuisine dates later than the wine production, I think it logical that adjustments were made to cuisine to fit the existing wine production.
gonemaroon
AG
I'm going to jump on this thread now that posting photos is easier - I bought a lot of my local restaurants wine back in March to help them out during this crisis - many unique that I have never had and glad to share some photos and thoughts.
cecil77
AG
Good stuff, thanks!

You've likely read it, I think I remember some of what you posted from it, but if you've not Inventing Wine: A New History of One of the World's Most Ancient Pleasures

HTownAg98
Opened this tonight. The only problem is that I have a 2016 of this, and the 2017 is damn good. I hope the 2016 isn't on it's downhill slide.
First Page Last Page
Page 209 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.