Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,282,580 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by bularry
mek94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been doing the same thing. Spending too much time, or maybe not enough, browsing around on Vivino and various winery sites ordering some different things to try. Being stuck at the house we've burned through the daily drinkers and are having to dip into the good stuff.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Many wineries are doing deals right now in the DTC space, you will be able to find some good value out there.
big-ag
AG
Every Facebook ad I see is for wine. They're really pushing some good deals. Need to get my $1000 government check ASAP
MooreTrucker
AG
DTC?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Direct-To-Consumer
MooreTrucker
AG
Oh yeah. Duh.
SECeded
BSD
AG
MooreTrucker said:

DTC?

Down to Chug.
big-ag
AG
Drink till collapsed
JCA1
AG
In light of all that is happening in the world, I presume there will be some decent bottles consumed during the next few weeks as people are confined to their homes. So, to try and add a little levity, what are you drinking?

I'll start. Popped a 2013 Alpha Omega cab yesterday. Just opened a 2016 Saxum Broken Stones for tonight.
MooreTrucker
AG
2017 Joel Gott 815 cab yesterday, glass of local award-winning rose' (that I had a hand in blending) on the patio right now.
Austintm
2010 Realm Beckstoffer To Kalon on Friday
2012 Fairchild G-III on Saturday
More to follow
Thriller
AG

Friday was a 2015 Joseph Phelps Pinot Noir (Quarter Moon Vineyard)
Saturday was 2014 Myriad Beckstoffer Dr. Crane
Sunday was 2015 Shafer One Point Five

We may start working our way through some of our Beringer Single Vineyard cabs. Beringer gets a bad rap for their low end wine, but the we really like some of the upper end wines.
JCA1
AG
Thriller said:

Friday was a 2015 Joseph Phelps Pinot Noir (Quarter Moon Vineyard)
Saturday was 2014 Myriad Beckstoffer Dr. Crane
Sunday was 2015 Shafer One Point Five

We may start working our way through some of our Beringer Single Vineyard cabs. Beringer gets a bad rap for their low end wine, but the we really like some of the upper end wines.

I was looking at some mid-90s Beringer on winebid.com the other day. Almost pulled the trigger.
HTownAg98

Had this Saturday night. This is kind of a geek wine, as I doubt a lot of Corbieres makes it stateside and that most people don't drink Carignane. But this was pretty good for $20.
752bro4
AG
Last night was a 2015 Cliff Lede Cab.

Bought some drinkers today. Not getting into the $100+ bottles M-Th.
big-ag
AG
Popped a 2015 Los Pinos Ranch Texican on Saturday. The one swig I had was awful but the remainder that I used on my braised short ribs worked out well.

The 2018 Daou Pessimist we drank with it didn't suck.
MooreTrucker
AG
Just cracked open a 2017 Grape Creek Mosaic. Yum!
ILikeTacos
AG
This was Saturday night, was adhering to the state rule of no more than 10 people, so there was 4 of us.

2016 realm moonracer
2016 ghost block
2016 rivers Marie cab of some sort

https://imgur.com/a/d8VEhMH
JCA1
AG
Went with a 2017 William and Mary prop red tonight. Still breathing while I finish off last night's bottle. Hope to taste it shortly.
HTownAg98
Are there other wineries that are doing virtual tastings now? We did one with Steve Burgess of Burgess Cellars last night, and it was lots of fun. There were only about 50 people online, so everyone could ask lots of questions and get answers.
htxag09
AG
I've seen a lot. Alpha Omega is a big one I saw. And I'm mailing lists of a bunch of little wineries and they're doing virtual tastings, including some in Australia.
MooreTrucker
AG
We did one Tuesday with the Gruet winery in Albuquerque, and they're doing another one next Tuesday. they offered a 3-bottle special so next week we'll all be drinking the same thing.
jh0400
AG
I've seen a few that are doing it, but I have a hard time opening three or more bottles of wine for two of us in a single sitting for the sake of doing a tasting. I'm sure the logistics would be next to impossible, but I'd be willing to pay a fair premium if there was a way to get three or four 750 ml along with 200 ml bottles of the same to support the remote tasting while leaving the full bottles intact.
MooreTrucker
AG
When I become the Wine Czar for the new Republic of Texas, y'all will all be my Department of Wines.
OrdAg89
AG
I like Grape Creek as well for my Texas wines. They normally don't release Serendipity except in the fall. Due to COVID-19, I was able to go by the winery and pick up a case of Serendipity. 6-2017 and 6-2018.
big-ag
AG
Getting married on Wednesday and obviously the wedding night will be at home. Any recs on a Cab I can get easily (DFW) in the $100-125 range? Earthier the better.
Chipotlemonger
AG
First off, congratulations!

Secondly, I don't normally shop at the store in that price range. Not sure of others but in that price range most the stuff I've tried has been club wines/DTC. But it you go to one of the big box stores or small local stores you'll have a fair amount of options I would think. Some of the Texas guys might be better able to point out wines at the price point on the shelf around town for you. Couple producers I like you might find are Shafer and Paul Hobbs.

I love Cakebread's stuff but not sure of distro there in DFW for them and what would be available.
Thriller
AG
I might suggest Ghost Block - it will actually be a little cheaper than that. They make a good Cabernet in that comes in at or under that retail price range.
Austintm
big-ag said:

Getting married on Wednesday and obviously the wedding night will be at home. Any recs on a Cab I can get easily (DFW) in the $100-125 range? Earthier the better.
If you are in Dallas, go to Pogo's and ask for Lance is a Somm (can't remember which level but he's working up the levels).

Some thoughts at that range that are generally available at Total Wine: Mark Herold Brown Label (this is a really nice wine from a guy that makes other wines well above the $200 range, both his own White Label and for others), Darioush, Groth Reserve, Shafer One Point Five
BSD
AG
We made some onion soup from the Bouchon cookbook last night and had a 2016 Pott Viognier along with it.

Other than that my wife has been guzzling Schramsberg since she can't stand me being home full time.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's not a bad one to partake in at all! What Schramsbergs are y'all into?
cecil77
AG
Been too busy drinking to check in here.

I do have the advantage of getting to barrel sample on Saturdays. Only now with no customers it's really "barrel drinking"!

Seven different cabernet clones in tanks and ready for blending/bottling. Fun times.
TP Ag '87
AG
Lastbottlewines.com blowout today. Free shipping.
wtmartinaggie
AG
we've organized a in-person virtual tasting experience as well and been working the ecommerce angle as well, but everyone is slamming people with emails so often we're trying not to be too big a part of the flood. we designed our virtual experience so it's more private and with one of our hosts in-person. the idea is that if you have friends across town/country that you havent been able to see, you can organize a tasting with them and spend some time together over a few good wines, get a tour of the caves and ask me or one of my team any questions about the wines/process/etc. we also send some food pairing options so you can make a night out of it. check it out and let me know what y'all think. any constructive criticism is welcome...

Italics Winegrowers Virtual Tasting

Here's a video preview if anyone's interested as well. Not trying to be overly salesy here or anything, but right now it's throw everything up against the wall and see what sticks...

Video Preview

If anyone has any bright ideas or if you've seen another winery do something that is working, i'd absolutely love to hear it. we've got a live winemaker session with Marbue set up for April 6th and then i'm hosting a happy hour the third thursday in April (23rd). If anyone would like to join, please let me know we'd love to have y'all.
-Taylor @ Italics
First Page Last Page
Page 204 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.