Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,284,085 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by bularry
V8Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wtmartinaggie said:

Glad you enjoyed it out here and the trip was a success! I'm putting together a few cool trips for 2020, hope we can hook up then! As we figure out exact dates, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Also, we just confirmed hosting our 2nd Annual Italics Invitational Golf Tournament at Horseshoe Bay April 3-5th next year. We did the first one at Pinehurst Resort in NC and it was a huge success.

In short, it is a two-night/day golf and wine event at the Horseshoe Bay Resort outside of Austin. On Friday, we will have a reception/wine party on the lake. Saturday a four man scramble golf tournament with a happy hour awards ceremony followed by a coursed wine dinner where we will release our new premium cabernet, Powerfade. (for those who havent visited Italics, it's a single block cab that sits across the fence from the 12th hole of the Napa Valley Country Club) Sunday, we're organizing another little tournament that's a little more high stakes. more details on that to come... if you're interested, let me know and i can shoot you more info. We'd love to have you.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested and merry christmas!

Can't PM you (you have no stars).
wtmartinaggie
AG
oh man... didnt even realize my sub ran out. I'll have to fix that.

taylor @italicswine.com gets the job done too....
-Taylor @ Italics
wtmartinaggie
AG
that's the one... my daughter loves collecting them!
-Taylor @ Italics
cecil77
AG
BSD said:

More than likely he missed it. We were actually talking about the tremendous amount of emails we both get. Certainly hit him up again. I've never known him to not take care of an issue with his clients.
Resent email to Will, and he responded immediately. He was very (unneeded as far as I'm concerned) apologetic.

Today I received my replacement 2016 Prop Red, along with a 2017 Prop Red. Way above and beyond!
JCA1
AG
This was pretty cool. So, I'm at HEB today getting stuff for Christmas dinner. I'm browsing the "locked up" wines and overhear the young guy beside me say they are out of Opus One. Somewhat uncharacteristic of me but I'm staring at a bottle of Odette when he says that so I recommend it. Kid turns to me and it's Alex Bregman. Said hi and shook hands but not sure if took my advice. He continued to mull over his decision so I wished him a Merry Christmas and went on my way.
Austintm
JCA1 said:

This was pretty cool. So, I'm at HEB today getting stuff for Christmas dinner. I'm browsing the "locked up" wines and overhear the young guy beside me say they are out of Opus One. Somewhat uncharacteristic of me but I'm staring at a bottle of Odette when he says that so I recommend it. Kid turns to me and it's Alex Bregman. Said hi and shook hands but not sure if took my advice. He continued to mull over his decision so I wished him a Merry Christmas and went on my way.
Cool story

FWIW: Opus One = overrated
HTownAg98
Festivus wine.

BSD
AG
Vegas wines

HTownAg98
Forgot to post this earlier. I have a friend that I shoot a deer for every year. In return, I get half a case of wine. This is what was in the goodie bag this year.

2017 Mollydooker Velvet Glove
2010 Lewis Cab Reserve Napa Valley
2015 Cade Cab Napa Valley
2012 Bond Melbury
2015 Vineyard 29 Cru Merlot
2015 Bevan Ontogeny

I like bringing deer to him.
BullSprig07
AG
Sounds like a hell of a deal
HTownAg98
Tonight's wine:

It's a shiner from one of my wife's former students whose family bought a vineyard near Salem, Oregon. He was a student at A&M and decided to go do harvest in Alsace and Bordeaux, and the wine bug bit him. He liked it so much his family bought the vineyard, and this was his first wine he made. If they get the winery permit approved in time, they might release it, depending on how it turns out. If they don't get the permit, they'll just ship it all to Texas and give it to friends and family. The wine is a rose of Pinot Noir with some Pinot Gris added to bump up the acid. This is a tank sample that is still going through lacto.

Kind of cool to get in on the ground floor of a new winery.
txag2008
AG
JCA1 said:

1 trashcan bang = merlot
2 trashcan bangs = chardonnay
BigAg95
AG
The wife decided to blind me last night and selected a 2017 Linne Calodo zin blend, not realizing it was a relatively expensive bottle and a baby. Nevertheless, it was fantastic. First glass was pop and pour, and I poured the rest in the decanter and drank slowly. We both loved it, loads of cherry and chocolate and a super long finish. Very good stuff!

By the way, I failed the blind, as always. I guessed Paso and that is was young, but I thought it was a cab.
FTAco07
AG
Tonight is Vin Vault in Dallas. I hope to see/meet one or more folks from this thread there!
BSD
AG
Looks like Adam Lee and Aaron Pott will be in Houston in a few weeks. They will be at separate events. Adam at Hugo's and Aaron at Georgia James. Both are paired dinners.
Austintm
FTAco07 said:

Tonight is Vin Vault in Dallas. I hope to see/meet one or more folks from this thread there!
Went to the one in Austin last night. Really good. Highlights were Seven Stones and Spottswoode
752bro4
AG
Austintm said:

FTAco07 said:

Went to the one in Austin last night. Really good. Highlights were Seven Stones and Spottswoode
Looking forward to it! Did Modus have their rose? Just got my allocation email for it today.
cecil77
AG
Austintm said:

FTAco07 said:

Spottswoode is my favorite Napa producer.
BullSprig07
AG
My brother did a harvest at Siduri in 2010 so will be at the Adam Lee dinner at Caracol with him and our better halves.
Austintm
752bro4 said:

Austintm said:

FTAco07 said:

Looking forward to it! Did Modus have their rose? Just got my allocation email for it today.
No, he was pouring the Pinot, a blend and the cab
BSD
AG
cecil77 said:

Austintm said:

FTAco07 said:

Spottswoode is my favorite Napa producer.

Never had one.

I'm new here?
HTownAg98
Opened this tonight:

Their entry level stuff is pretty ordinary, but their higher end labels are pretty good.
FTAco07
AG
Great to meet you tonight, even though you brought along our mutual friend. Thanks again for posting the invitation.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Water Turkey07 said:

My brother did a harvest at Siduri in 2010 so will be at the Adam Lee dinner at Caracol with him and our better halves.

I am definitely biased but I really like Siduri. What's neat is that you can try Pinot from up and down the coast out of the same producer.
752bro4
AG
Ditto, and sorry about our mutual friend... we don't take him out much to fancy events and it shows.
htxag09
AG
My wife is going on a work trip to Austria in a couple weeks so I've been putting together a list of wines I want her to bring home and places she can visit in Vienna. I love Austrian wine, just don't have a huge selection here. I'm really wishing I would've gone with her as I'm putting all this info together.....stupid training.

May have to do the Pott wine dinner to get my fix while she's gone.
aggiecive
AG
Attended Vin Vault in Houston tonight. My favorites were Spottswood, Seven Stone, Modus Operandi, and the Syrah at Constant. Aloft led the next tier.
cecil77
AG
Aloft is just overpriced. Alyssa is pretty cool, though. Being a Mondavi in Napa has got to be quite a trip!
aggiecive
AG
Skipstone was the furthest divide of price and taste in my opinion. William Cole was good but too expensive.
cecil77
AG
Not familiar with them. Have been a Spottwoode buyer for awhile I think the "Napa first growth" appellation is apt.
HTownAg98
The Spottswoode Lyndenhurst is one of the better cabs for the price in Napa.
cecil77
AG
HTownAg98 said:

The Spottswoode Lyndenhurst is one of the better cabs for the price in Napa.
Agree. It is a go to wine for us. We order from the winery, but the Boerne HEB frequently has it.
jh0400
AG
I'm going to San Jose for a conference in March and rather than drive two hours north to Sonoma I think I'm going to make the drive to Paso Robles. I'll only be able to visit a couple of wineries, so I'd like to make them count. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
MooreTrucker
AG
jh0400 said:

I'm going to San Jose for a conference in March and rather than drive two hours north to Sonoma I think I'm going to make the drive to Paso Robles. I'll only be able to visit a couple of wineries, so I'd like to make them count. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
We love J Lohr and Wild Horse. We went to a bunch....Justin (another really good one), Halter Ranch, Harmony, JanKris, for examples...but those two were our faves.
HTownAg98
jh0400 said:

See all my posts in page 150 of this thread.
https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/1933033/150
It's about 2.5 hours from the airport in San Jose to downtown Paso. I hope you have a great time. It's a wonderful place.
If you get tired of wine, Firestone Walker brewery is between Paso and Tin City. It's worth a visit.
First Page Last Page
Page 199 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.