Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,381 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by bularry
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've always wanted to try one. I can't believe I haven't.
JCA1
AG
Got a 3 bottle allocation for 2016 Detert Cab Franc today. Ordered those and wish listed a 4th. Excited to try it.
HTownAg98
BSD said:

I've always wanted to try one. I can't believe I haven't.

I'd run out of fingers and toes if I counted how many times I've had Spottswoode. It helps that one of my good friends has a very deep library of it.
HTownAg98
Had this tonight, after my wife drank some of it earlier this afternoon.

This is old school Rioja with modern cleanliness. Still a good shot of acid and firm tannin, but with clean fruit coming through. I'll be buying more.
cecil77
AG
2016 William and Mary Cab tonight. Pretty dang good Tuesday night wine! Have two more I'll be sitting on for awhile. But just great structure, deep phenolics and none of that vanilla/sweet oak that I (personally) don't care for in so many Napa Cabs.

Grab some if you can find it.
BigAg95
AG
I am excited to try it, but trying to hold off another year or two. The winery is still selling it online.
cecil77
AG
Yeah, I ordered some of their Merlot/CabFranc last night. Really looking forward to trying it!
BigAg95
AG
Popped open a 2016 Pott cab tonight. Lovely wine. It was delicious when I had a taste right out of the bottle, and even better after a four hour decant. I appreciate you guys talking me into buying it!
BSD
AG
cecil77 said:

2016 William and Mary Cab tonight. Pretty dang good Tuesday night wine! Have two more I'll be sitting on for awhile. But just great structure, deep phenolics and none of that vanilla/sweet oak that I (personally) don't care for in so many Napa Cabs.

Grab some if you can find it.

I'm glad you like it. I really try to be objective with this wine since Will is a friend but I gotta say...it's damn good.
BSD
AG
BigAg95 said:

Popped open a 2016 Pott cab tonight. Lovely wine. It was delicious when I had a taste right out of the bottle, and even better after a four hour decant. I appreciate you guys talking me into buying it!

Good to hear! Especially since I just gave a bottle to a really good client!

Speaking of Pott, my Incubo and Space/Time just showed up.
Goose06
AG
When you decant a bottle for 4 hours, do you do something to keep it cool?
JCA1
AG
Goose06 said:

When you decant a bottle for 4 hours, do you do something to keep it cool?

I've got a little Fonzie leather jacket for mine to keep them cool.

Thank you! Thank you! I'll be here all week!
htxag09
AG
Had a '12 hourglass cab tonight with dinner. Overall good wine, but pretty high and alcohol and it threw it off for me.
JMC04
AG
I threw the magazine away, but you should be able to find old articles on winespectator.com

My subscription is for hard copy only.
BigAg95
AG
My Rivers-Marie shipment just came in. To quote the poet Julian Casablancas, how long must I wait?
austinag1997
AG
BigAg95 said:

Funny, Claire sent me an allocation notice that Aaron subsequently retracted. Guess she made a mistake.
HTownAg98
Opened this tonight.

Had this in honor of the dearly departed Edgar dog. He loved beef tri-tip, and this was his favorite snack after doing dishes (he wasn't a wine drinker, thankfully). He was put to sleep on Monday, and I'm still not over it.

This was something I thought would pair well with Tri-tip. It worked really well.
BigAg95
AG
Yeah, I got the same email from Clare and the subsequent retraction.
Austintm
austinag1997 said:

BigAg95 said:

Funny, Claire sent me an allocation notice that Aaron subsequently retracted. Guess she made a mistake.
I am guessing you are talking about 2 different releases. "2016 Pott" likely means the Napa cab (the Pott "second wine") released a few months ago, before the Single Vineyard wines like Her Majesty's Secret Service, Actaeon, etc. which are amazing)

The recent release was for the Estate wines (Incubo and Space and Tiime). I got the same e-mails. Fortunately, I have a friend who had extra allocations so I was able to get some.
MooreTrucker
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Opened this tonight.

Had this in honor of the dearly departed Edgar dog. He loved beef tri-tip, and this was his favorite snack after doing dishes (he wasn't a wine drinker, thankfully). He was put to sleep on Monday, and I'm still not over it.

This was something I thought would pair well with Tri-tip. It worked really well.
Sorry for your loss. That's a tough one.
jh0400
AG
My wife and I are currently flying back from Italy where we spent the last week drinking our way through Piemonte and Toscana. A few highlights were a great single vineyard Barolo that we found in La Morra and a few great Brunellos and Rossos from a winery outside of Montalcino. That winery was Capanna, and it may have been the best tour and tasting we've ever done. I definitely appreciate the approach the Italians take toward their wine.

I'll work on a full trip report with more pictures at some point once we're home.
BSD
AG
austinag1997 said:

BigAg95 said:

I'm in the first wave at Pott and our usual allocation is 2 bottles of Incubo and Space and Time, both off the vineyard at his home. This year it was 6 of each. And it's not like a lot of those wines are made so they sold out quickly!
BullSprig07
AG
Cool, Fam just decided to do Italy in 2020, starting from scratch nothing on the docket yet, so thanks for whatever you share.
BSD
AG
I love Montalcino and their wines. I spent part of my honeymoon there so it holds an extra special place in my heart. Looking forward to the trip write up.
ILikeTacos
AG
It was a great Saturday night and a rough Sunday morning.

cecil77
AG
Thoughts on the Elysian?
JCA1
AG
cecil77 said:

Thoughts on the Elysian?
Curious too. I bought 2 bottles of Dr. Crane, but passed on the Elysian. Hopefully, I didn't screw that up.
ILikeTacos
AG
cecil77 said:

Thoughts on the Elysian?
Incredible. I let it decant for about an hour and a half while we had a round of old fashioneds. I bought two bottles of it and two bottles of the regular Dr. Crane. I haven't opened a regular yet.

To give some hazy tasting notes, it coated my tongue in a subtle silkyness that I rarely experience in the recent fruit forward napa cabs from some of the other vineyards out there. The wine felt reserved and sophisticated and smooth. I loved it, every last drop. The rest of my opinions seem to be erased...

The cave blend was next and was decent, and the Austin Hope was last and by then I don't remember much of what we were up to. BTW that Austin Hope is a DAMN good value at under $30.

EDIT: The wife doesn't drink whiskey so she drank the Peju Province while we had old fashioneds. That is an interesting blend wine that after visiting the Province region of France and tasting some wines, is not even remotely the same as the rose's coming from there, but it is a solid chilled wine to drink around the pool in summer.
MooreTrucker
AG
ILikeTacos said:

cecil77 said:

Thoughts on the Elysian?
Incredible. I let it decant for about an hour and a half while we had a round of old fashioneds. I bought two bottles of it and two bottles of the regular Dr. Crane. I haven't opened a regular yet.

To give some hazy tasting notes, it coated my tongue in a subtle silkyness that I rarely experience in the recent fruit forward napa cabs from some of the other vineyards out there. The wine felt reserved and sophisticated and smooth. I loved it, every last drop. The rest of my opinions seem to be erased...

The cave blend was next and was decent, and the Austin Hope was last and by then I don't remember much of what we were up to. BTW that Austin Hope is a DAMN good value at under $30.

EDIT: The wife doesn't drink whiskey so she drank the Peju Province while we had old fashioneds. That is an interesting blend wine that after visiting the Province region of France and tasting some wines, is not even remotely the same as the rose's coming from there, but it is a solid chilled wine to drink around the pool in summer.
Drinking old fashioneds before a wine dinner has prevented me to this day from remembering much about that wine dinner. I can see why your tasting notes are hazy.
greenband
AG
ILikeTacos said:

Just an FYI that Austin Hope tastes so smooth for the money because of the extra sugar.

This website in Canada has the sugar content listed for wines they sell.

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lcbo/austin-hope-cabernet-sauvignon-2015-578005-1

As a point of comparison for some wine they had listed:
  • Stag's Leap Wine Cellars Cask 23 - 2 g/L (2 grams per liter)
  • Continuum 2014 - 2 g/L
  • Joseph Phelps Insignia 2015 - 5 g/L
  • Heitz Martha's Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 - 2 g/L
  • Cardinale Red 2014 - 5 g/L
  • Belle Glos Dairyman Vineyard Pinot Noir - 10 g/L
  • The Prisoner - 8 g/L
  • Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon - 10 g/L

Cheaper wine:
  • Apothic Red - 17 g/L
  • Cupcake Red Velvet - 14 g/L
JCA1
AG
greenband said:

ILikeTacos said:

Just an FYI that Austin Hope tastes so smooth for the money because of the extra sugar.

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lcbo/austin-hope-cabernet-sauvignon-2015-578005-1

• Continuum 2014 - 2 g/L
  • The Prisoner - 8 g/L

Cheaper wine:
  • Apothic Red - 17 g/L

Hmmm. That's very interesting. And consistent with my experiences.
cecil77
AG
GREAT information! Thanks! Confirms a lot...

That may be one of the most useful posts on this thread!
JCA1
AG
cecil77 said:

GREAT information! Thanks! Confirms a lot...

That may be one of the most useful posts on this thread!

More useful than my Fonzie leather jacket post? I beg to differ.
cecil77
AG
The Fonzie post isn't eligible - professionals among amateurs and all...
Austintm
JCA1 said:

greenband said:

ILikeTacos said:

• Continuum 2014 - 2 g/L
  • The Prisoner - 8 g/L

Cheaper wine:
  • Apothic Red - 17 g/L

Hmmm. That's very interesting. And consistent with my experiences.
Sugar content right up there with Caymus which is another wine to avoid.
First Page Last Page
Page 177 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.