Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,260,575 Views | 10413 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by QBCade
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hurricane wine? May be time to go deep in the cellar.
BSD
AG
Do it!!!
TP Ag '87
AG
Had a 2009 Husic last night from a guy from the restoration company company has used before.

FWIW, didn't think it was that great and definitely not worth the price.

I'll try something else tonight for Harvey Hight #2.
BSD
AG
Opened a 2002 Chateau Lagrange tonight for neighbors before the storm hits. Over the hill.
TP Ag '87
AG
Tonight it's a 2012 Trefethen Cab Franc.

Tasty.
cecil77
AG
pre hurricane, but Wednesday we opened a 2003 Mondavi Reserve purchased at the winery a few years back. In perfect condition - probably had another decade.

Friday at SA wineguys David Long from David Arthur Vineyards was there, so a 2011 Inwood Estates Magnus (Cab/Temp blend) - he liked it a lot.

2013 N&N Quarry Vineyards Friday night - reliable as always

Saturday 2013 "Collide" from Napa - a kitchen sink blend $35 wine. I'm going to buy some more I think.
JMC04
AG
My Sunday night Harvey wine = 2014 Becklyn cab
TheClaw07
AG
I just discovered this thread, so forgive me if this has already been discussed. The wife and I went to Italy this summer and brought back a 2013 Sassicaia and we are wondering how long we should let it age. It's in the darkest/coolest closet in our apartment, on its side, but we just don't know when the right time would be. Any help would be appreciated!
BSD
AG
2012 Myriad on Tuesday night. Great wine to celebrate the end of the rains.

Also, I called my offsite storage today (on Voss south of Buffalo bayou) and they are flood free. My wines are on the lower lockers. Whew! I'll go tomorrow to grab something nice for the house.
cecil77
AG
Napa Cab or single vineyard? Had 2012 Georges III (I think, it was one of his single vineyard) last week. It was mighty fine...
BSD
AG
Just the Napa cab. It was the only one I had at the house. it was pretty awesome and it was only $55!
HTownAg98
TheClaw07 said:

I just discovered this thread, so forgive me if this has already been discussed. The wife and I went to Italy this summer and brought back a 2013 Sassicaia and we are wondering how long we should let it age. It's in the darkest/coolest closet in our apartment, on its side, but we just don't know when the right time would be. Any help would be appreciated!

Drink it now. Without proper storage, it can go south and it will be really really bad. It certainly will not suck now. Serve it with a fatty steak.
cheeky
AG
David Arthur, Tor and Harlan this week with Realm up next week. Harlan up to $800 is a really hard justification. May only order that if I can lay some off. I really don't enjoy paying them 18 months ahead of release.

Loaded up on Tor last year so probably will pass this time around. Thinking about swapping out David Arthur for Nine Suns. Thoughts?

Will take thenfull allocation from Realm, especially The Absurd. I drank a 2013 a few months ago and it is outstanding. If anyone wants to let that go, please let me know.
cecil77
AG
I had lunch with David Long (proprietor of David Arthur) last Friday! Great guy. Wonderful story of how his dad bought the property in the late 60's and how be came to be a winemaker. At seventy he looks 50 and has a great personality and sense of humor. He brought Elevation and his Napa cab. I poured a 2011 Inwood Estates Magnus for him (very low yield temp/cab blend). He was very impressed. My friend that brought him said he was still talking about it at supper that night.

Ordered Elevation as an early birthday present to myself.

Edit to mention that Aggiejumper was at the lunch as well! Ignorant old fart that I am, I didn't know his handle!

BSD
AG
I like Harlan, I really do. I think it's a wonderful wine. But at $800? Nope. I just can't do it. Realm, though...for sure!
cecil77
AG
BSD said:

I like Harlan, I really do. I think it's a wonderful wine. But at $800? Nope. I just can't do it. Realm, though...for sure!

A roll of silver dollars in my front pants pocket has the same effect, and is much cheaper!
HTownAg98
I put in my Sanguis order this morning. Not nearly as expensive as some of the stuff you others are talking about.
cecil77
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I put in my Sanguis order this morning. Not nearly as expensive as some of the stuff you others are talking about.

And I bet it's pretty dang good. Honestly, now that I'm in a position to, I'm really aware of how "look how big my dick is" wine purchases look. But at the end of the day it's all wine, and it's such a great hobby/avocation/passion. I will drink your wine with you anytime! As well as share mine. And that's really what it's all about.
aggiejumper
AG
My sentiments exactly. Wine has a cost but it's value isn't quantitative for me. All about the memories and comraderie along with the taste and experience. We all have wines of all sorts of prices but drinking any of the bottles will create an everlasting memory (sometimes no memory at all with enough wine), that's what I love about wine.
ILikeTacos
AG
The beauty of wine to me is obviously we all have varying tastes and what tastes great to me may be different to you. I like enjoying it with other people, and I find that is what my wine cellar is really for, a place for friends to gather and grab and enjoy something as a group.

This past week my local Kroger was rearranging their store and moving the wine to a different area. They set out some clearance racks with reduced prices, and then if you bought 6 bottles you got 20% off rather than 10% off. I always poke around these areas and found a pleasant surprise. They had one of my favorite Pinot's on the clearance rack! I was able to pick up 4 bottles of 2015 Flowers Pinot for $24 a piece and two bottles of Shramsberg at $15 a piece. That was a deal to me!
cecil77
AG
HEB a few weeks ago had a clearance basket and had several 2013 Freemark Abbey Napa Cab which after discount was like $22.50 per bottle. I love finding gems like that!
BSD
AG
aggiejumper said:

My sentiments exactly. Wine has a cost but it's value isn't quantitative for me. All about the memories and comraderie along with the taste and experience. We all have wines of all sorts of prices but drinking any of the bottles will create an everlasting memory (sometimes no memory at all with enough wine), that's what I love about wine.

I'll tell you what. The best wine experiences I've ever had have not been because of what's in the bottle. It's the circumstances. That 2012 Myriad the other night, while a great wine, was so much better because I could breathe a sigh of relief after the rain had stopped. Having friends there and telling them Mike's story just added to the experience.

To address one thing: It's not about seeing how far your dick can swing. I suggest we don't fixate on that here. Some people buy expensive wines, some don't. Whatever floats your boat. We can talk about all wines here and I love seeing what everyone takes down. What's cool about the posters here is that I'm sure every single one of us would open a real nice bottle for each other. And that's what it's all about.
BullSprig07
AG
A few of you posters swing pretty big when it comes to what wine you buy, but no one on this thread ever comes across as the measuring type, at least to me. It's fun to open up this thread and see some pretty impressive corks being popped.
ILikeTacos
AG
Water Turkey07 said:

... see some pretty impressive corks being popped.
TP Ag '87
AG
Some on here are pretty skilled cork soakers.

Gotta laugh every once in a while during these times in Houston.
cecil77
AG
Today's high temperature in St Helena: 110 degrees F.
BSD
AG
115 in some places!

The chard and Pinot growers in both counties are worried.
BSD
AG
Because I don't pay much attention to domestic sparklers (other than my wife's Schramsberg addiction), are there Oregon sparkling wine producers? Just curious.
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

are there Oregon sparkling wine producers?
Argyle and Triseatum are two that jump to mind. They seem pretty good but I don't drink enough bubbles to offer all that informed of an opinion.
HTownAg98
Opened a 2011 Chateau Guiraud Perite Guiraud (Sauternes) tonight. No defects, but not all that complex. A good wine to introduce someone to Sauternes without breaking the budget.
bularry
Water Turkey07 said:

A few of you posters swing pretty big when it comes to what wine you buy, but no one on this thread ever comes across as the measuring type, at least to me. It's fun to open up this thread and see some pretty impressive corks being popped.
completely agree. I certainly can't afford the wine purchases of many on this thread, but I enjoy seeing what everyone is buying and what they like.

As everyone else has mentioned, I enjoy wine for the sharing of the experience. Most wines I like I have some emotional attachment to due to some experience, that probably makes me like the wine more than an objective taster/drinker. and that is okay.
bularry
BSD said:

Because I don't pay much attention to domestic sparklers (other than my wife's Schramsberg addiction), are there Oregon sparkling wine producers? Just curious.
There is, but not in large enough volumes to ship to Texas markets.

For those in some of the better/larger Oregon producer clubs there are options to buy sparkling. Some Cali producers do the same thing.

bularry
BSD said:

115 in some places!

The chard and Pinot growers in both counties are worried.
I think most are picking as fast as they can (at least what I've seen on social media).
cheeky
AG
BSD said:

I'm passing my full allocation to someone else. When I think of the other fantastic wines coming out of Napa at 1/2 to 1/4 that price, and less, it makes for an easy decision.

Quote:

And I bet it's pretty dang good. Honestly, now that I'm in a position to, I'm really aware of how "look how big my dick is" wine purchases look. But at the end of the day it's all wine, and it's such a great hobby/avocation/passion. I will drink your wine with you anytime! As well as share mine. And that's really what it's all about.

Amen!
bularry
HTownAg98 said:

TheClaw07 said:

Drink it now. Without proper storage, it can go south and it will be really really bad. It certainly will not suck now. Serve it with a fatty steak.
if you keep your apartment relatively cool (74, say), it will be fine like that for a while. there are lots of opinions on how long you can store red wine like that. I seriously doubt anything has changed in the wine up to this point and from my experience you can store it like that for a while.

However, even though a big wine, the '13 is approachable and certainly will be drinking great now I think.
First Page Last Page
Page 135 of 298

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.