Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,284,191 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by bularry
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jrweinberger said:

Cecil--I've actually never had an Auslese Riesling. Mostly because I haven't wanted to spend the money (most Auslese bottles from producers I'm familiar with start at around $50-$60 and just go up from there). I drink mostly trocken (dry), or halbtrocken/feinherb (off-dry) and I will have Spatlese (sweet) every now and then (again, because of $$$). I don't mind some RS in my wine (i.e. Riesling or Chenin Blanc), as long as there is enough acidity to balance the sweetness.

I like seafood/shellfish with trocken Rieslings and spicy food with the halbtrocken/feinherb styles.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that trocken (dry), or halbtrocken/feinherb (off-dry) is separate from spatlese/auslese/etc. The Pradikat level only indicates the level of sugar in the grape at harvest, but the winemaker can still ferment to dryness or leave some RS. That would mean that an auslese fermented to dryness would have higher alcohol than a spatlese fermented to dryness. At one point I'd learned the math so that you could tell RS just by the Pradikat level compared to the alcohol.

And yes, it's amazaing how acid and RS work together. I think that acid balance is crucial in all wines, especially for food pairing, but is often overlooked.
cecil77
AG
bularry said:

cecil, I was told my someone in the business that any wine at HEB with price ending in 8 is a product made just for HEB. almost private label. just an FYI

Turns out that you are correct-ish. Some of them are indeed a de facto private label, ie. HEB contracts for the wine made from specific blocks. In other cases HEB just likes the wine so much they buy the entire production and it becomes like a private label.
jrweinberger
@bularry I believe you are correct--the high number of trocken style Rieslings is a new phenomenon and has been largely driven by people's palates that have skewed to more dry styles of wine.

FYI -- In regards to older Riesling bottles, Houston Wine Merchant's website currently shows that they still have some 1992 Kruger-Rumpf Spatlese in stock ($40). I picked up one of these when I was there a couple weeks ago but haven't opened it yet.

jrweinberger
Cecil, you are correct--"trocken"/"halbtrocken" are terms referring to Qualitatswein classification and the term "Spatlese" comes from the Pradikat.

Qualitatswein (dry to sweet): Trocken-->Halbtrocken/Feinherb-->Liebliche-->Suss

Pradikatswein (level of sweetness in grapes at harvest): Kabinett-->Spatlese-->Auslese-->Beerenauslese and Eiswein-->Trockenbeerenauslese

BSD
AG
I have no idea what any of this means!

(But definitely trying to understand)
TP Ag '87
AG
FWIW: Total Wine has 7 Pfalz Reislings per their web-site. May need a side trip home,..
cecil77
AG
BSD said:

I have no idea what any of this means!

(But definitely trying to understand)

Well, now you don't have to. They put a little bar graph on the back indicating sweetness now, and price is a good indicator of Pradikat level.

And wierdly enough, the German system makes more sense to me that does Italy, France or Spain's!
BSD
AG
I'm actually looking for some nice 2009s with aging potential. I haven't really started yet but Ive always been a fan of JJ Prum.
TP Ag '87
AG
Isn't he on IR for the rest of the year?
reload85
The designation for the drier style of Riesling is GG( Gro Gewch) They are all the rage and run considerably higher than the traditional German Riesling. Btw I had a 90 Spatlasse a recently and it was amazing. Not tired at all. They age incredibly well..
SwissAgg
AG
Trocken means dry, and halb trocken means half dry literally.
JMC04
AG
Anyone hosting Christmas dinner? I've got Wife's fam coming over, and they aren't wine lovers, but drink wine at special dinners. I don't want to waste my good bottles on people that won't appreciate it, so I guess I'll pop over to HEB to buy some inexpensive crowd pleasers.

How do you guys manage this situation?
TP Ag '87
AG
Just pick up different varietals from Columbia Crest. Their base offerings have good QPR. Their Reserves are also good. Agree with holding back your good stuff.
BSD
AG
I'll pop over to HEB to buy some inexpensive crowd pleasers.
BullSprig07
AG
brownguy81 said:

How do you guys manage this situation?
Spanish wine for the win
Matsui
AG
Spanish or south American wine
Chipotlemonger
AG
Matsui said:

Spanish or south American wine

Yea would do this
reload85
Great advice, I would add Spain or any of the H3 wines from Columbia Crest. Don't forget to do a reverse sour grape trick with some good stuff for your side of the table! Cheers and Merry Xmas to all!
TP Ag '87
AG
Agree on H3/Columbia Crest.
BSD
AG
Wow. I replied a serious thought yesterday and it didn't post. Here we go again...

I'd buy a wine to match the food, but go the cheaper route. The wines above are good. Also look at Angeline. They make several varietals and they are not expensive. Educated Guess is always a crowd pleaser for cabernet.
TP Ag '87
AG
Educated Guess
BSD
AG
Last night we had friends over. They drank a 2014 Rivers Marie Sonoma Coast Pinot then we all shared a 2010 Myriad Dr Crane cab sauv. It was excellent.
BSD
AG
Parker just shot this off on Twitter:

Top 3 Greatest Value Wines of the Year
All of the following wines are under $20 a bottle and represent fabulous bargains:

Olemo 2014 Chardonnay (Sonoma)
Stackhouse 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa)
Jorge Ordonez & Co. Botani 2015 Moscatel Old Vines (Malaga, Spain)
TP Ag '87
AG
I'll admit I don't recognize those. Are they available retail?
BSD
AG
I have no idea. I've never heard of any of them.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Took a visit to William Chris today. Love that wine.
HTownAg98
I've had the Olemo and the Stackhouse. Both are excellent values.
TP Ag '87
AG
Whew. I feel better.
cheeky
AG
Last wine delivery of the year came yesterday: Tor Kenward Black Magic, East Meets West and Beckstoffer To Kalon.

Building and filling this cellar myself has been a year in the making and a lot of fun. The builder originally installed diamond bins and some display shelves that would hold about 225 bottles in an open air wine closet. It looked nice enough but when I started buying more expensive wine I knew I wanted a climate controlled cellar.

Here is the work in progress after I removed the doors, gutted the old cellar, closed-in the crawl space between the second floor, relocated/added plugs and lighting, frame-out for the cooling unit and hired a crew to spray in closed cell foam insulation:

Back wall:

Left side presented more design challenges as there is a fairly significant curve in the wall due to a stair case:

Top and right wall:

And here is the finished product after glassing/reinstalling/sealing the doors, hiring a couple subs (hang green board/texture/paint and replace hardwood floor with travertine), design-configuration-installation of iron wall and mahogany (unfinished and rubbed with mineral oil) wine racks, LED accent lighting and dimmer switches:

Exterior:

Back wall and corner:

Right side with single magnum and double black iron wine racks:

Left (curved) wall was perfect for a double black iron wine rack between the mahogany:

10' ceiling with 100" of wine rack leaves room for top storage:

Cellar has 452 rack space plus whatever goes up top or on the floor. Overall very satisfied with the outcome. Cheers!
htxag09
BSD
AG
Oh my goodness! Nice!!!!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Bravo
aggiemike02
AG
That. Is. Awesome.
reload85
Top notch!
ILikeTacos
AG
Stagecoach wins the internet today.
First Page Last Page
Page 120 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.