Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,635 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by bularry
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So it's over a year away but I'm trying to decide what to do for a big anniversary coming up next spring. Our annual SF/ Napa trip or a trip to Paris with a side trip to Champagne. We are about to build a new house so my wife is leaning towards a "less expensive" Napa trip. It would be nice to travel overseas again, something I haven't done since 2008 (pre-kiddo). I figure that if I can get into Salon for a tasting, the Paris trip will win out. Time to start making some calls...

cecil77
AG
You've heard of "first world problems"?

How about "zeroth world problems"?
HTownAg98
I was going to say 1% world problems, but yeah.
BSD
AG
I was hoping that you guys would help guide me in a more sensible direction but I see how this is going down...
HTownAg98
I can't help regarding Paris. I'd do cheaper Napa, especially for an anniversary. Less stress makes for a more fun trip.
FarmerJohn
AG
quote:
That's the one where there were several Chinese "kids" in the reserve room that were loud and took awhile to get out.
That's one of the things I don't like about Napa. It has that name brand, which automatically creates huge appeal in China. I don't care about people buying what they like, but this is buying just because of the appellation. Same with France, which tells me that it isn't a style preference thing.

As for BSD's anniversary trip, I would vote for Paris. Not that I have been myself (aside from the airport), but as BSD has so many Napa trips, I wonder if that is now a little routine. But that assumes that both are easily in the budget. If that is a concern, then go with Napa. It's a great time and you don't want the trip to become an argument. Marriage has enough of those.
Elkos Magic Cookbook
AG
Has anyone used Winebid.com?

Is it legit?
BSD
AG
Yes and yes. I'm not sure if they ship though. It as been two years since I've bought from them but back then they did not. I picked it up myself.
htxag09
AG
Anyone going to the Austin food & wine festival or been in the past? My cousin really wanted us to join this year so we will be.

She's really good friends with Jack Gilmore so at the very minimum we'll be getting some good food!
HTownAg98
My wife and I are going for the first time. We have friends that have been multiple times, so we are tagging along with them.
If there's other people going, it could be cool to meet up with some of the other winos on here, and put names with faces.
htxag09
AG
I'd be in if we try and meet up.
Thriller
AG
Help me with a noob question.

We are receiving some shipments from our trip a few weeks ago. Today's shipment shows up and I see some red (wine) staining just below the top of the bottle on the cardboard/styrofoam trays the bottles are nestled in. None of the bottles appear to be wet but all 6 of the bottles in this particular shipment have some staining of the protective material directly below the top of the bottle.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks for the help.
cheeky
AG
quote:
Has anyone used Winebid.com?

Is it legit?
Legit. I use a delivery company to pick it up, package and ship. There is a list of companies to choose from on the WineBid website. I chose Stagecoach because I'm partial to the name. They have been very good but It can get pricey.
HTownAg98
quote:
Help me with a noob question.

We are receiving some shipments from our trip a few weeks ago. Today's shipment shows up and I see some red (wine) staining just below the top of the bottle on the cardboard/styrofoam trays the bottles are nestled in. None of the bottles appear to be wet but all 6 of the bottles in this particular shipment have some staining of the protective material directly below the top of the bottle.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks for the help.

Pull off the capsules and examine the tops of the corks. If you see wine, you had some seepage. The wine may be ok, but chances are it got hot, and that isn't good. Take pictures of the bottles, and email the place where you bought it from. Most will replace it. Some may even let you keep the bottles. If so, drink it all very soon. If it's still good, you got free wine. If not, toss it.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
What are some good categories of everyday wines (around $20)?

We don't drink wine often but we both like Italian Pinot Noir and Napa Cab. We haven't branched out much from those two types and it seems like you have to spend a lot more than $20 to get a good Pinot Noir.

What would be a good next type to try. Merlot?
HTownAg98
Go read the less than $50 wine thread. There's a lot of recommendations in the <$20 range.
bularry
quote:
What are some good categories of everyday wines (around $20)?

We don't drink wine often but we both like Italian Pinot Noir and Napa Cab. We haven't branched out much from those two types and it seems like you have to spend a lot more than $20 to get a good Pinot Noir.

What would be a good next type to try. Merlot?
try some different Italian wines, lots of potential chiati out there for under $20 you might enjoy. try some different pinot noir, too. never had an italian one I thought much about
Chipotlemonger
AG
Some great Spanish reds under $20 as well.
HTownAg98
You can throw a rock at any Spanish wine right now and hit a good one. Spain has really changed their winemaking over the last 10 years, and they are producing lots of really good cheap wine, and their mid-range and up stuff is exceptional right now.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
You can throw a rock at any Spanish wine right now and hit a good one. Spain has really changed their winemaking over the last 10 years, and they are producing lots of really good cheap wine, and their mid-range and up stuff is exceptional right now.

Agreed. When I want a tasty red, with good value, I generally find myself in the Spanish section of the aisle. Love Riojas. Cava is great too when you need some bubbles.
cecil77
AG
Mencia grape from Bierzo. Amazing $20 Spanish wine.
HTownAg98
The entire Alto Moncayo line and Numanthia Termes are some of my favorites right now.
Elkos Magic Cookbook
AG
Has anyone tried Brand? Or BRIO?

Got an allocation for the 2013 BRIO, but not sure I want to pull the trigger.
TP Ag '87
AG
BSD: I'd recommend Paris and Champagne. I've been to Paris numerous times and it's finally grown on me with the ease of the Metro and Champagne is pretty friggin' cool (that's a technical wine snob term).
BSD
AG
quote:
Has anyone tried Brand? Or BRIO?

Got an allocation for the 2013 BRIO, but not sure I want to pull the trigger.
I've tried the 2009 Brand and enjoyed it enough to buy a single bottle. But it is pricey and I have enough pricey bottles I like better so if I ever need another bottle, I'll grab it off the secondary market or off the mailing list. I don't think they sell out every year.

Never had the Brio.
BSD
AG
quote:
BSD: I'd recommend Paris and Champagne. I've been to Paris numerous times and it's finally grown on me with the ease of the Metro and Champagne is pretty friggin' cool (that's a technical wine snob term).
I'm leaning that way. We'll have to see what the Misses decides on. She threw out an argument that we should go during truffle season in the fall. Hmm...
cecil77
AG
What a group this is. I order 2ea 2014 Myriad Dr. Crane and 1ea Elysian for $426 and feel like a lightweight!
HTownAg98
I'm out of room, again. I got in 5 bottles from Siduri yesterday, and have 4-5 more from J coming in on Friday. I get to blame my wife for this one because she told me to order more wine.
aggiejumper
AG
Cecil, I'm a lightweight too with only 3 bottles purchased. The mags and 3L's were enticing but not those price tags. One day...
BSD
AG
Just 3 Elysian's for me. I have enough juice but can't pass on this one after the barrel sample.
aggiejumper
AG
That's exactly what I ordered. Same sentiment after that barrel sample.
awesome sauce
AG
Everyone ordering wines . . . how do you manage delivery? How do you protect against wine being subjected to extreme temperatures in transit & how do you deal with requirement of having someone there to sign when delivered?
cecil77
AG
Most won't ship unless the season is appropriate. Having someone home is just a personal situation. I'm rural so my regular UPS driver just leaves them for me. As far as caring for the wine, all the wine at stores are delivered by truck, with multiple stops and warehouses on the way!
BSD
AG
quote:
Everyone ordering wines . . . how do you manage delivery? How do you protect against wine being subjected to extreme temperatures in transit & how do you deal with requirement of having someone there to sign when delivered?

I have them shipped to my office. They deliver during business hours when someone is always there to sign.
HTownAg98
Same here.
First Page Last Page
Page 101 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.