Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

5,466,349 Views | 43502 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by AgCzar
Pac1698
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree, that was probably my favorite bottle I've ever had. The funny thing is, I was actually disappointed with my first pour of it. Tried it a few months later and it was incredible. We just cracked the origin series white label and really enjoyed it. I love the cinnamon spice that it has.
ConfidentAg
AG
BrokeAssAggie said:

OnlyDrams app

Wow. Great App.

Thanks a lot.
Science Denier
AG
BrokeAssAggie said:

OnlyDrams app
Cool. Thanks!!
rca21978
AG
Nice app - thanks for the recommendation.
AgCzar
AG
Had a nice haul in Kentucky this weekend.
calebbogie
AG
Nice!! Congrats!
cc10106
Very nice. Any tips for someone going to Louisville later this year? Not gonna have a lot time for bourbon, but Michter's is on the list.
wmitchell
AG
cc10106 said:

Very nice. Any tips for someone going to Louisville later this year? Not gonna have a lot time for bourbon, but Michter's is on the list.
Looking for bourbons or cool places?

Michters is hit or miss on special releases. But their rooftop bar is awesome.
Sweeeeeet Action
AG
Headed to Michter's this coming weekend (as well as a few other distilleries). Really hoping to get a BYO. Any tips? Did you get there prior to open or just get lucky on timing?
wmitchell
AG
Sweeeeeet Action said:

Headed to Michter's this coming weekend (as well as a few other distilleries). Really hoping to get a BYO. Any tips? Did you get there prior to open or just get lucky on timing?
BYO is often at opening but it is random. Michters is luck
cc10106
wmitchell said:

cc10106 said:

Either work. Booked the earliest arrival I could get on a Friday and will head downtown afterwards.
cc10106
I'm not even worried about bringing back bottles as I have plenty open ones. Just wanna enjoy some new scenery (to me) and use my time well that weekend.

bmfvet
AG
I went about 30 minutes after they opened and was able to get the last byo for the day.
‘99
bmfvet
AG
You may not care, but your name is on that michters bottle. I got the same one last October (mine is 54.9%).
‘99
AgCzar
AG
Michter's does random drops every day and offers Fill Your Own about 3-4 times per week. It's always Barrel Strength Bourbon between 108-116 proof. I haven't tried this one yet, but I've had it before and it has a great fruit note added to their regular bourbon profile.

Get to Michter's 30 minutes before they open at 10am to get in line. Earlier if it's a weekend. They will announce whether they are doing Fill Your Own when they open the doors and you can go in and book your time. They had it at 11:30 and 1:30, which is pretty standard from what I've heard.

They will also drop bottles and bundles throughout the day. Usually two drops that could be morning or afternoon. For example, they didn't do a drop the morning I was in line, but they dropped M10B bundled with the American Whiskey around noon, and Barrel Strength Rye around two that day.

I've heard if you go up to the Michter's bar you can talk to the bartenders and they will give you a heads up if there is a drop. The tour is not worth it though, especially if you do fill your own.

The Old Forester tour is one of the best I've done though. Seeing them fire barrels in the cooperage at the end of the tour was very cool. Like Michter's this is right on whiskey row in Louisville.

Old Forester also dropped Presidents Choice while I was there, but I'm an idiot and went to the bar instead of buying it right then. It didn't last long. The bar is awesome though, and for $50 you can get a pour of the Birthday Bourbon, a 117 series, and Presidents choice. All excellent pours.

Beyond that, I highly recommend Doc Crows for a meal. Good southern food. The shrimp and grits were great, but the fried pork chops stole the show. Best chips I've ever had in my life. Make sure you get the "hot" fried instead of the regular.

Churchill Downs is a good tour for a change of pace. We got lucky and got to watch a race while we were down at the track. That was insane.

Louisville Slugger is a must do in my opinion even if you aren't a baseball fan. The renovation to the museum is awesome. They let you hold the bats of famous players - Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Roberto Clemente, etc. The tour is under half an hour and they do tours every 20 minutes. You can literally walk in whenever and do it. At the end each person gets a free mini bat to take home. Great souvenir if you have kids and just really cool to see how they make the bars to this day. We got lucky and were able to see a lady making one by hand, but the machine lathes are cool to see too.

It's a great food town with lots to tour and hard to find pours everywhere you go. You can try half pours of all the unicorns you want at good prices.

Also, if you make it out to Bardstown, I highly recommend the barrel thieving tour at Bardstown Bourbon Company. The bourbon slushie that you can take on the tours with you is the best mixed drink I've ever had.

Finally, lunch at the Jim Beam distillery is a great option halfway between Louisville and Bardstown. Amazing food and cocktails. The pepperoni pizza with hot honey was so good. Same with the empanadas and duck poppers. It's a great way to grab lunch and walk the grounds without having to do another tour.

AgCzar
AG
You have to be there when they open to get it and they don't do it every day.
ConfidentAg
AG
There is nothing better than a rooftop bar.
LPHA
AG
There's a really nice bar upstairs at Rabbit Hole. Evergreen Liquors on E. Market is a liquor store with an awesome bar. Their prices are great, especially on their picks
h_town_ags
Can you fill us in on the HH Select Stock, details of price, time to get there, how often do they offer/drop it, thanks
cc10106
Great info, thanks. Got it saved for later.

Won't make it in time for opening at Michter's, but with Bourbon & Beyond Fest that weekend it may be busier than normal anyway. Old Forester and the Louisville Slugger Museum are on the list. Doubt I'll make it to Bardstown this trip.

wmitchell
AG
cc10106 said:

wmitchell said:

cc10106 said:

Either work. Booked the earliest arrival I could get on a Friday and will head downtown afterwards.

Get a reservation at the bar at Michters. It is great
ph0384
AG
At the distillery, HH Select is not a drop as far as I know.

On the You Do Bourbon experience, you can choose to bottle 1 whiskey from 4 choices. ECBP is normally one, Bernheim, and Larceny. HH Select is sometimes the fourth choice. You get to taste all 4 options before you choose what you want to bottle.

When I went last summer, I think HH Select was in the ballpark of $200-$300. I have heard from friends that HH Select is not always offered with this experience. The HH Select I picked up was a 14 year malt whiskey, not actually a bourbon. High proof, around 136 if I remember correctly, but it was good.
wmitchell
AG
h_town_ags said:

Can you fill us in on the HH Select Stock, details of price, time to get there, how often do they offer/drop it, thanks

You can do a you do bourbon tour at HH - choose between Bernheim, ECBP, Larceny and a 4th. Usually that has been select stock malt whiskey. When they run out they run out

In the you do bourbon you get to taste each and then pick 1
AgCzar
AG
Evergreen liquors was awesome. I was bummed they were out of King of Kentucky while I was there but we tried some amazing pours.
AgCzar
AG
They had HH Select Malt Whiskey when I was there too. Mine was a 9 year and really the first American whiskey I've enjoyed so far.

The fourth tasting changes though, and sometimes it can be a drop instead of a tasting. So you might get lucky and get an old Fitz or something. (At least according to the bartender.)

They also do drops in the morning but you have to get there early. That could be old Fitz, HH17, William HH, etc. Also tends to be a limited number of hand grenades.
rca21978
AG
WT Rare Breed. Haven't tried before. Is it a thumbs up?
jackie childs
I feel like Rare Breed and RR10 are the most universally liked bourbons on here
HouseDivided06
AG
If you like higher proof stuff, it's outstanding for the price and availability. Drink awarely. It'll sneak up on ya.
LPHA
AG
I loved that place. We probably went back 75% of the nights we were there. The big guy behind the bar is hilarious
Rocketman84
AG
Great travel tips, we're planning to go out there next year, so taking lots of notes.

We have reservations at Garrison Bros near Fredericksburg in July, looking forward to that.
suburban cowboy
AG
BrokeAssAggie said:

OnlyDrams app

I spent entirely too much of my day building my collection.

Would be great if they added a "Trade" feature, where you could view other users' collection and make trade offers like Fantasy Football.

Also, noticed it's an SLB product. Great for Kurt/Trenton.
ConfidentAg
AG
I wish we could sort our collection based on rating.
SalesAg13
AG
Went through all the pages, and sorry if I missed it! Did a shirt design/link ever get the thumbs up?
Bulldog73
AG
They had a break even bottle tonight for Weller CYPB, so I got a pour not knowing what to expect for pricing (usually marked at $64/pour). Afraid of the markup, I just got 1 oz. When I tabbed out, it was $4.50. Truly charging MSRP.
Hornbeck
AG
I'm kind of low key nervous my wife opens that app and sees what my collection is worth, even at MSRP, much less secondary….
First Page Last Page
Page 1161 of 1243

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.