Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,825,921 Views | 38297 Replies | Last: 44 min ago by Tksymm7
Post removed:
by user
tx4guns
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got the Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon in today. Pretty tasty stuff! On the oaky side, but it's very complex.

FlyFish95
Pretty accurate description.
Quantum ace
AG
The nose is spectacular, one of my all time favorites.

It's a little sweet, but it has a depth and richness that keep it balanced. It has some baking spice flavors that I don't come across very often, which I really enjoy. It is pretty complex, with a lot of different flavors that work together just enough, but still stand out on their own.

joshwayne330
I was hating on the OFBB before I even tried it. I will say though that the nose is for sure Epic status, but it's almost drinks to easy and becomes forgettable after awhile?!? Got an extra in the bunker to revisit later on and it was priced right.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Finally a pic of a bottle someone's actually opened and is drinking. Good to see.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
Finally a pic of a bottle someone's actually opened and is drinking. Good to see.
TxKng82
AG
Nice Tx4guns, glad to see you got a bottle. Still got half a bottle left. Great stuff.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Had that OFBB at the bar a while back. Agree with everyone about the nose. Glorious.
FlyFish95
The nose on the OFBB is epic; One of the best in the business. The taste is fairly oaky, which I'm normally not a huge fan of, but it fades pretty quickly and leaves behind some sweet/spicy goodness. I can only hope next year's release is just as good.

BTW, does anyone have any experience with past releases and how that compares to the 2013 version. I found a few bottles of release from several years back at one of my regular stores.
Kid A
AG
I was able to get a bottle of the OFBB '13, but I haven't tried it yet. It's been called one of the best in years, so it looks like these yearly offerings are really hit or miss. Supposedly the '10 is really good as well, so if you can get that one, I would say go for it. And if you can get two, well your good bud Kid A would really like one as well.
Quantum ace
AG
I have the 10, and its pretty solid. I've tried all of them since 07, and I found them all enjoyable, but there is a pretty wide variance between them.

Depending on price, I would pick up any previous years OFBB I could get my hands on.
Kid A
AG
AggieFox06 - I'm in Dallas and looking to trade a bottle of ORVW 10. Let me know your email address if you are interested in trading for it.
Post removed:
by user
CRM1712
AG

From my birthday tasting.
Aggiejue
AG
If anyone would like Jeffersons Presidential 21 yr Rye, 25 yr Rye or 25 yr Bourbon my email is in my profile.
Atty_Ag
Out of what I was able to get this year for hard to come by stuff, (GT Stagg '13, Parker's Heritage '13, Jefferson 18 yo, and Four Roses 125th), my favorite has been the Four Roses 125th. Just delicious.

edwardsk2003
AG
Just tried garrison brothers in IAH.

Not bad.... far from harsh... a bit sweet. . I like it

How much for a bottle?

Also..for the record. I've never been "forced" to have a double.... he poured a double and said... the computer has it sold this way.... I'm embarrassed at what I just spent....

[This message has been edited by edwardsk2003 (edited 12/20/2013 6:29p).]
Atty_Ag
Garrison goes for $65-$80, depending on where you find it.

Their Cowboy Bourbon is great, but insanely priced at $160. It won Bourbon of the year from Whiskey Bible.

http://blog.garrisonbros.com/2013/12/13/cowboy-bourbon-from-garrison-brothers-american-micro-whiskey-of-the-year/

[This message has been edited by Atty_Ag (edited 12/20/2013 6:29p).]
Mathguy64
AG
quote:

Also..for the record. I've never been "forced" to have a double.... he poured a double and said... the computer has it sold this way.... I'm embarrassed at what I just spent....

[This message has been edited by edwardsk2003 (edited 12/20/2013 6:29p).]

I would have told him that my wallet only pays for the shot I asked for.
joshwayne330
quote:
Garrison goes for $65-$80, depending on where you find it.

Their Cowboy Bourbon is great, but insanely priced at $160. It won Bourbon of the year from Whiskey Bible.

http://blog.garrisonbros.com/2013/12/13/cowboy-bourbon-from-garrison-brothers-american-micro-whiskey-of-the-year/

[This message has been edited by Atty_Ag (edited 12/20/2013 6:29p).]

Your statement is incorrect. Re-read your link.
Atty_Ag
My bad. American Micro.
Mathguy64
AG
Jim Murray's list came out yesterday. The American contribution is:

AMERICAN WHISKEY
Bourbon of the Year: William Larue Weller 123.4
Rye of the Year: Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye. 132.4
US Micro Whisky of the Year: Cowboy Bourbon Texas Straight Bourbon Whiskey Aged Three Years
US Micro Whisky of the Year (Runner Up): Balcones Brimstone Texas Scrub Bourbon
No Age Statement (Multiple Barrels): William Larue Weller 123.4
No Age Statement (Single Barrel): Buffalo Trace Single Oak Project Barrel 101
9 Years & Under: Ridgemont Reserve 1792 Aged 8 Years
10-17 Years (Multiple Barrels): Parker’s Heritage Collection Sixth Edition Master Distillery’s Blend Of Mashbills 2001
10-17 Years (Single Barrel): Four Roses Single Barrel 12 Yrs 5 months
18 Years & Over (Multiple Barrels): Evan Williams 23 Years Old
Rye
No Age Statement: Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye. 132.4
11 Years & Over: Sazerac Kentucky Straight Rye 18 YO

The whole list is at http://www.whiskybible.com/pressrelease.html

[This message has been edited by mathguy86 (edited 12/21/2013 10:01a).]

[This message has been edited by mathguy86 (edited 12/21/2013 10:03a).]
FlyFish95
quote:
US Micro Whisky of the Year (Runner Up): Balcones Brimstone Texas Scrub Bourbon

Strongly disagree with this entry.
tx4guns
AG
I disagree with the bourbon choice. FR125 should win.
FlyFish95
FR SmB 125 is one of the finest whiskies I've ever had.
jobu93
AG
Oh lawd. Head is hurting. We (3 of us) killed a Woodford reserve bottle. Had many beers along the way too
joshwayne330
quote:

FR125 did win with Whisky Advocate magazine. John Hansel is a more reliable source than Murray IMO.
joshwayne330
quote:

And Yes, FR125 is an world class pour! The palate is unreal. The only downside for me was the finish, very short unfortunately.
Third Coast Horn
Handy is superb.
JohnnyShotgun
That's a nice list MathGuy, but the Ridgemont Reserve 1792 is one my least favorite that I tried this year. I found that I couldn't drink it neat, or on ice. It just wasn't that good. It made for a good mixer though.
Post removed:
by user
the dude10
AG
I am a young poor compared to you guys but am trying to get into quality bourbons. I just bought my first bottle of blantons and am really enjoying it. Also have been drinking woodford for a while and from my experience it can't be beaten for the price. I have been eying the angels envy but haven't picked up a bottle yet.

Anything else in that price range that might be better than my selections?
austinag1997
AG
Stagg Jr is in the same price range as Blantons and much better IMHO. Far better. You can still find it on the shelves at some stores.
Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 48 of 1095

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.