Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,831,468 Views | 38338 Replies | Last: 13 min ago by Tksymm7
slickwilly107
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ETL was off the shelves at Twin by 13:30. They did manage to pull a bottle out of the back for me though. Also picked up a bottle of Russell's Reserve Single Barrel after reading this review:

"Now, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel is a different beast altogether. It's a bourbon, like the Russell's 10 Year, but it's a bourbon like Barry Bonds was a baseball player. This is bourbonamplified. While most bourbon is chill-filtered to remove fat compounds that make the liquor cloudy, Russell's Single Barrel is unfiltered. Distillers typically blend several barrels to even out the character of a bottle of whiskey, but Russell's Single Barrel is, well, bottled from a single barrel. All of this is designed to offer an intensity that you typically don't find in bourbon.

Wild Turkey uses the world "explosive" when talking about the Single Barrel and this is one situation where the marketing speak is dead on. The Single Barrel smells like a damned candy bar, it's so rich with caramel and vanilla notes.
It's incredibly intense, with a significant amount of heat, even after dropping a massive ice cube in the glass (beginner bourbon drinkers beware, this is 110 proof hooch). But along with that big whiskey heat, you get huge sweet notes, and a big, round body. Altogether, this bourbon is unforgettable. My only concern is that the Single Barrel is so intense, it might ruin other, more tame bourbons for me in the future. Like when you binge watch The Walking Dead and then you go out into the real world and are kind of disappointed that the postman is just delivering your mail and not trying to eat you. Yeah, it's like that."
FriedTex
AG
It's good, but that reviewer was getting paid. It ain't that good
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Yeah, but how's the mouthfeel?
John Francis Donaghy
Never had it, but color me skeptical. It can't be as intensely bold as he's describing at only 110 proof.

Either that or the reviewer has never had a barrel proof bourbon before, in which case he has no business reviewing bourbons.
Ringo88
AG
Reminds me that I need to open that Russell's 1998 this weekend.....
austinag1997
AG
quote:
BT has at least one they heat with hot water/steam pipes acting as radiators. That's not including their experimental rickhouse.
Bingo. They won't show you anything other than the "toured" rickhouse, and I suspect the other ones at any distillery could be configured quite differently from a piping standpoint.
TexasRebel
AG
uh...

Kentucky Spirit (Wild Turkey Single Barrel) is 101 proof... check out the first post!
jsn1986
AG
I believe the quote was referencing Russell's Reserve Sib which is 110. Made by WT so I'm guessing that's where the confusion came in.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
2016 Parker's a 24 year old bib?
TexasRebel
AG
Ah, I see.
plowboy1065
S
http://www.breakingbourbon.com/bourbon-barrel-aging-infographic.html

I have a 2L oak barrel filled with some BT whitedog Mash #1. Going to let it age for as long as it needs till I think it's done. There was some discussion about barrel aging a few pages back and found this infographic which I think explains it well. I purchased a Proof and Tralle Hydrometer to measure the alcohol content for the finished product. I'm just over a month in and the sample I pulled was still very light in color. Will continue to update
Streetfighter 02
AG
Anyone tried Four Roses Single Barrel OBSF mash bill? I got an email from dallas specs about it. I don't live there anymore but thought it would be interesting to try beside the regular SB. Is there a way to determine mash bills of various bottles in the store? I know the single barrel gives the cask number and location of the barrel.
plowboy1065
S
I have a bottle but haven't opened it yet. I did open an OESK and it's pretty good juice
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Their standard SB is OBSV. Any privately selected SB will have the mashbill and age on the label.
Señor Chang
AG
This is from a Specs Barrel Select from 2014 I think.

AggieChemist
AG
Opened the Garrison Brothers today. Wanted to like it, but it's terrible. Really doesn't even taste like bourbon... It's almost... Piney?
TexasRebel
AG
Like rebranded PineSol?
Post removed:
by user
htxag09
AG
quote:
Opened the Garrison Brothers today. Wanted to like it, but it's terrible. Really doesn't even taste like bourbon... It's almost... Piney?

Can't remember which I had, but it was a single barrel or other type of even pricier bourbon from them. It tasted like corn....
FriedTex
AG
quote:
Anyone tried Four Roses Single Barrel OBSF mash bill? I got an email from dallas specs about it. I don't live there anymore but thought it would be interesting to try beside the regular SB. Is there a way to determine mash bills of various bottles in the store? I know the single barrel gives the cask number and location of the barrel.

I have, it's good but the other yeast strands are better
FriedTex
AG
quote:

It's a pretty bottle which almost always lures me to pull the trigger, then I remember this thread
FlyFish95
It's horse urine
tx4guns
AG
DryFly,

Saving you some Cowboy Bourbon. Will change your mind...
plowboy1065
S
Good article on Buffalo Trace Warehouse X
Post removed:
by user
plowboy1065
S
In Bay City?
Daytona22
AG
Did you try to go back out there and buy it again? I'll go buy both and you can pay me for one of them!
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
FlyFish95
quote:
DryFly,

Saving you some Cowboy Bourbon. Will change your mind...

Looking forward to it! I still have that last sip of JPS 17 for you.
Post removed:
by user
htxag09
AG
If you can get some extra OFBB I'll gladly take it
FriedTex
AG
Nice blend: Starbucks Cinnamon Dolce Latte with Bourbon.
Daytona22
AG
Happy find today! My brother in law knows I've been looking for Old Blowhard for quite a while and stumbled upon a bottle this afternoon.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Nice blend: Starbucks Cinnamon Dolce Latte with Bourbon.
First Page Last Page
Page 145 of 1096

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.