Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,831,799 Views | 38338 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Tksymm7
GregZeppelin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I was in the one at 99 & 10 on Wednesday picking up a bottle of Beam and they had it.

Ducks, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Haven't so much as seen a bottle of stagg jr. on a shelf in 2 years and thanks to your tip I've now got 2 at suggested retail price to last me through this coming year.
Ducks4brkfast
iehly06
AG
Anyone have any recommendations on barrel numbers from the buffalo trace single oak project? The liquor store down the street from my inlaws has a handful of the bottles on the shelf.

*** ended up grabbing 162 and 171. Anyone had those and have an opinion?
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I was in the one at 99 & 10 on Wednesday picking up a bottle of Beam and they had it.

Ducks, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Haven't so much as seen a bottle of stagg jr. on a shelf in 2 years and thanks to your tip I've now got 2 at suggested retail price to last me through this coming year.

Did they have more

Only two on the shelf, and I grabbed both. Don't know whether or not they have any more that hadn't been put out on shelves yet. Probably at least worth a phone call to check.
joshwayne330
EHTBP on the shelf at COSTCO? It so, I would like to grab one. In an effort to avoid running all over town to 4 that I know of in Houston, a hint as to which one has it would be greatly appreciated.
tx4guns
AG
I know where tons of EHTBP is.
plowboy1065
S
In your bunker?
Stan Crowch
AG
I have 2 bottles of Stagg Jr...would trade one for something interesting. Not really interested in Blantons.
the dude10
AG
Go on.....

I landed two this year btw at retail so I am pretty excited.
Post removed:
by user
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Is Stagg Jr. hard to find? Honest question. I've seen a few bottles at the store near my house for around $55
youandwhosearmy
Maybe one of the Houston drunkards will respond but the one I saw it was north of Seattle.

There must have been 20 bottles at $110 after taxes.

Washington state is unfortunately home to the highest liquor taxes in the country. So they should be cheaper down that way.
jsn1986
AG
If anyone is interested the bar/restaurant at The Houstonian currently has a pretty good selection. EHTBP 127.2 (i believe), OFBB 2015, ORVW10 ($10), Lot B 12 ($15), VWFRR 13 ($25), and I believe it was the PVW15 ($35) and PVW20 ($55). I'm not 100% on the prices, but that's what I remember. I did the VWFRR and it was really good - about on par with the '15 Handy for me. This was on the 22nd.
jsn1986
AG
Also, if anyone is looking to unload a '14/'15 GTS I would be interested in making a deal. I have and could package some of... '14 THH, '14 FRSmBLE, '14 FRSiBLE, '15 OFBB, Cured Oak, ECBP 128 and EHT BP 127.2. Also have AD Laws batch 1 signed, Cotton Hollow Kentucky batch 1 signed, '15 Macallan 18 and Ranger Creek SiBLE, but nobody cares about that so just thought I'd throw it out there. scott (dot) niland (at) gmail - if anyone is interested. Located in The Woodlands.
VegasT
AG
Specs Online says that the Dallas Store has Michter's 20 year. Anyone get one yet and if so, what was the price and how was this year's release?
FlyFish95
quote:
Specs Online says that the Dallas Store has Michter's 20 year. Anyone get one yet and if so, what was the price and how was this year's release?
It can be yours for a cool $511.
Mathguy64
AggieChemist
AG
I got a signed bottle of Garrison Brothers "bourbon" for Christmas. Haven't tried it yet.
schmellba99
AG
Why the quotes around "bourbon"? Garrison Brothers is bourbon by every definition, even if it isnt good bourbon by most accounts.
Whoop04
Got a Balcones Single Malt for Christmas. Great stuff.
The Ragonk Strikes Back
The Ragonk Strikes Back
AggieChemist
AG
quote:
Why the quotes around "bourbon"? Garrison Brothers is bourbon by every definition, even if it isnt good bourbon by most accounts.
I realize that, of course. Perhaps someone on this board can educate me on Garrison, and Texas "bourbon" in particular.

Are the rickhouses climate controlled or open? Herein lies my (perhaps) uneducated opposition to the idea of a Texas bourbon.

If climate controlled, then the freeze/thaw cycles are artificial. Note that I'm referring simply to the outdoor temperature cycle, not the actual freezing/thawing of whiskey in the barrel. That won't necessarily make an impact on the finished product, but it does add an air of inauthenticity, at least in my opinion. If they're open, then a central texas rickhouse won't get the freeze/thaw cycles of the natural mid atlantic/Appalachian seasons. Furthermore, the rickhouse probably gets a LOT hotter during the longer, hotter summer than you'll get in TN/KY/WV/VA/etc. This absolutely will make an impact on the finished product.

The proof, of course, is in the tasting, and when I get around to opening this bottle, I guess I'll see for myself, and I'll have a more informed opinion.

For now, color me skeptical.
Whoop04
Make sure you update us after you try it.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
How are those mid atlantic/Appalachian seasons in Indiana?
AggieChemist
AG
Similar, but I don't drink much MGP product
schmellba99
AG
As far as I know, nobody uses conditioned rick houses or barns. Pretty sure that would price any product out of the market, or seems like it would anyway.

Fredericksburg and Bardstown have about a 10-12 degree difference across the board between temps. What difference that has on aging is up for debate - and a lot of it can be modified or controlled with things like orientation of the rick house, how full you fill the barrel, barrel rotation in the house, etc. so it's hard to come to an apples to apples comparison. Hell, even the oak used will have a demonstrable effect on the flavor of the bourbon, same with the corn, wheat, rye, water, materials used for the distillation pots, etc.

I'm not saying that Texas is producing better bourbons (it's not), only that bourbon in of itself is not exclusively a Kentucky product like many people want to think it is. Plenty of good bourbons are produced in areas other than Kentucky and there is nothing in federal code that states bourbon must be produced in Kentucky to be bourbon. The only type of bourbon that must be produced in Kentucky is Kentucky Straight Bourbon, and that's a state code and not a federal code.

A great number of "craft" bourbons are produced in places other than Kentucky.
jsn1986
AG
quote:
I got a signed bottle of Garrison Brothers "bourbon" for Christmas. Haven't tried it yet.
Don't mix it with ginger ale or you'll be mad you wasted a can of ginger ale. To be fair I only had one bottle and it was quite undrinkable perhaps there was something wrong with the cork (is it even cork?), but I don't think so. Intense funk, distinctly like that wet pile of leaves that's been sitting in my backyard for a year smells. If I got a free bottle it would be either trashed or given to somebody that I hate.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
How are those mid atlantic/Appalachian seasons in Indiana?

About the same. Lawrenceburg is only about 70 miles north of of the Buffalo Trace, Woodford, Four Roses, and Wild Turkey distilleries in central KY. It's basically a far western suburb of Cincinnati.
Stan Crowch
AG
quote:
quote:
Don't mix it with ginger ale or you'll be mad you wasted a can of ginger ale. To be fair I only had one bottle and it was quite undrinkable perhaps there was something wrong with the cork (is it even cork?), but I don't think so. Intense funk, distinctly like that wet pile of leaves that's been sitting in my backyard for a year smells. If I got a free bottle it would be either trashed or given to somebody that I hate.
Completely agree with this assessment. The stuff is terrible, I honestly don't understand why anyone would drink it with so many good bourbons out there.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Completely agree with this assessment. The stuff is terrible, I honestly don't understand why anyone would drink it with so many good bourbons out there.

I think what's even crazier than that is their ability to get folks to clamor at the chance to work at their distillery for free.
FlyFish95
quote:
... If I got a free bottle it would be either trashed or given to somebody that I hate.

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First Page Last Page
Page 143 of 1096

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.