Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

5,121,883 Views | 41185 Replies | Last: 13 min ago by Lonestar-aught-six
Aggie Therapist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's not terrible.

I'll be on the look out for one
NateDog
AG
There was no Buffalo Trace at Specs, asked about an alternative wheated bourbon, the guy mentioned a couple then pointed out the Walking Stick & said he actually liked it better than BT. All Walking Stick seems to be single barrel 90 proof, priced $44ish.

Decided to try it. I'm no bourbon expert, but it seems a little bland. Did I get jobbed? Google says some think Walking Stick is either Buffalo Trace barrels that don't fit their flavor profile or are just bad, while some think they're "golden" BT barrels they want to make a few extra $$ more from.

What say you?
ryeguy
Buffalo Trace isn't wheated.
HouseDivided06
AG
Not a fan but funnily enough got the exact same pitch from a specs guy about 8 years ago on it. Very meh and to me had a huge undertone of banana. Never bought it since.
BrokeAssAggie
NateDog said:

There was no Buffalo Trace at Specs, asked about an alternative wheated bourbon, the guy mentioned a couple then pointed out the Walking Stick & said he actually liked it better than BT. All Walking Stick seems to be single barrel 90 proof, priced $44ish.

Decided to try it. I'm no bourbon expert, but it seems a little bland. Did I get jobbed? Google says some think Walking Stick is either Buffalo Trace barrels that don't fit their flavor profile or are just bad, while some think they're "golden" BT barrels they want to make a few extra $$ more from.

What say you?

Post here next time for recs! We won't steer you wrong.
ConfidentAg
AG
I've been thinking about grabbing a Bardstown wheated bourbon.

The origin series BiB.

I'm actually pretty interested how their origin standard bourbon compares to the BiB.

Two separate mash bills.
Aggie Therapist
AG
NateDog said:

What say you?

Walking Stick? You're damn right you just got jobbed.

Think of it as an initiation into the bourbon world. Never buy that again but I'm glad you are learning the hard way.

I bet the specs guy told you it's from the same barrels as Pappy Van Winkle as well.

rebelag62
AG
Picked up the James E. Pepper barrel proof today. Hadn't heard much on it. Anyone tried it?
Aggie Therapist
AG
It's good! Open it up!
rebelag62
AG
Awesome. Had to check a bag because of it, so I'm glad it was worth it. I'll have to crack it when I get home.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Any cool stories here on what people did with white dog mash?

I found it in my bunker.
HouseDivided06
AG
So it wasn't white dog, but I had an unfinished moonshine that I put in my bourbon aging barrel once. That was a cool thing to see it go from clear to brown in a month and take on those oak flavors.
Brauny
Staff
Went to a state run store tonight in Birmingham and found a pair of bottles that I'd been wanting to try.

BrokeAssAggie
Nice! You staying to cover the entire tournament or head back in the am now that the Ags are out?
Brauny
Staff
BrokeAssAggie said:

Nice! You staying to cover the entire tournament or head back in the am now that the Ags are out?

Headed back tomorrow.

Had a small pour from both of those. The Dettling is super good. I see what all the hype is about. I'd recommend the Crittenden's, as well. Solid for a $45 bottle.
BrokeAssAggie
Dettling is the small family place in Alabama , right? Like way out in the sticks? I think I saw the video on that.

Safe travel home..btw.
TRL-Ag

Great pour. Appreciate the push to get it.
AgCzar
AG
Nice pick ups! Travel safe!
khkman22
AG
Brother-in-law got the same recommendation 3-4 years ago. Must be in the employee handbook for training.
AgCzar
AG
Fresh crack today! Now that I have your attention, I need your help.

I'm heading to Louisville next week and need some suggestions from yall.

We have tours of Old Forrester, Michters, the Louisville Slugger Factory, and Churchill Downs planned for Friday.

We have a party bus for Saturday with a barrel thieving tour of Bardstown Bourbon Co at 12 and the Your Do Bourbon tour at Heaven Hill after.

Since we have the party bus we need more things to do early in the day Saturday. Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be more tours and tastings, open to anything.

ConfidentAg
AG
Definitely on my list to buy.
Brauny
Staff
I've got a bottle of that sitting on my shelf at home. My favorite Wild Turkey product. Good sipper that doesn't overpower you with the rye spice.
Brauny
Staff
Yes, Brewzle has been pumping their stuff a lot recently so I wanted to check it out. It was pretty hard to find. None of the local "package stores" had any of it.

I figured it'd be just about ubiquitous out here.
Hornbeck
AG
NateDog said:

What say you?

The BT that doesn't make the cut is Benchmark. The Full Proof or BIB is the way to go. It's a good cheap mixer, but I prefer Early Times BiB to Benchmark.
Shaggie 05
AG
-Lunch at willet, right around the corner from heaven hill. They have all the purple tops and some preset sampling options in the bar.
-Maker's mark is worth visiting without a tour. Can walk the prettiest grounds in Kentucky, and dip a bottle in the gift shop.
-Restaurant and bar at Jim beam on the way to Bardstown is pretty and good
Four Roses cox creek campus is out there too. Where they do aging and bottling. Can grab some single barrel barrel strength releases sometimes in the small gift shop there if you can't get a tour. It's a good tour/tasting if you get one.
Aggie Therapist
AG
How much bourbon were you drinking at the beginning to middle of Aggie Baseball season?

How much are you drinking now?
trouble
AG
Brauny said:

Yes, Brewzle has been pumping their stuff a lot recently so I wanted to check it out. It was pretty hard to find. None of the local "package stores" had any of it.

I figured it'd be just about ubiquitous out here.

Brauny with the big words
BlockerResident
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

How much bourbon were you drinking at the beginning to middle of Aggie Baseball season?

These are the trends we need to be tracking.
AgCzar
AG
Thanks! Great recommendations.
tripperwill
AG
You won't have time to stop and eat at Willett or Jim Beam before your noon BBC. But you could walk around downtown bardstown and grab a coffee. There's also an Evergreen Liquors downtown now that has plenty of rare pours for really cheap compared to the bars and distilleries.

Also Beam (worth walking around and seeing the property) is open at 9, as well as 4 Roses just a couple minutes down the road (not much to do but they do tastings).

Lux Row is really close to BBC and has a pretty good tasting tour. Also they have their own quick thieving tour where you get a very large pour direct from the barrel in their rickhouse.

Makers would be good to visit, but you'd likely want to get there at open so you can make it back to bardstown in time. It can be a 30 min trek each way from bardstown to get there.
Shaggie 05
AG
Sorry, missed the noon part at bbc. They have a great restaurant and bar too. Lawn games and places to hang out before or after that thieving tour.

Afternoon snack and pours at willet then, definitely worth it.
Brauny
Staff
Aggie Therapist said:

Ha. I got into bourbon last fall/winter really. I don't call what I do drinking. It's more sipping than anything. I've gotten into it for the taste, not the effect.

It might just be a phase…if people still even have phases in their late 30s
SLCag
AG
Show me the broken seal…
Brauny
Staff
I was told there was a bar on Northgate selling Benchmark Bottled-in-Bond as one of their wells. I didn't believe so I asked for a description of the bottle, and it matched.

If that's true, these college kids nowadays are spoiled. Where's the Kentucky Deluxe? Or the Sunny Brook?

…those last two sentences just made me gag.
BrokeAssAggie
Southern Comfort!
First Page Last Page
Page 1148 of 1177

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.