Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,736,573 Views | 62756 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Kyle98
CollinAB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rahr's Winter Warmer is so much better than their other offerings. I really liked the BBA version from a couple years ago. They're sefinitely overachieving with that beer. Didn't have this year's BBA version.

Tonight I had some more Yellow Rose. I firmly believe it's the best IPA brewed in Texas.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
It is. And it's not even close.
army01
AG
quote:
Rahr's Winter Warmer is so much better than their other offerings. I really liked the BBA version from a couple years ago. They're sefinitely overachieving with that beer. Didn't have this year's BBA version.

The BBAWW has been slipping the past 2 years. I still maintain the best was the first year they bottled it -- 2010. Freaking amazing.

As for WW being their best offering. I see your WW and I raise you Iron Thistle. In my opinion, it is the best Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy we have available in Texas.
krazyninja
AG
This was the first year I had the BBAWW and I really enjoyed it. I think your right on about the Iron Thistle if someone can tell me there is a Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy brewed in Texas I'll leave work right now and go hunt some down.
Scriffer
AG
Community makes Glenstemmons Wee Heavy on their seasonal rotation. They also do a barrel-aged version on occasion. I wasn't a fan, but that's more a function of not really liking the style to begin with.
BSD
AG
It's time for the 2015 Open the Taps update:

quote:
The 2015 Session is finally underway.

Committees have been chosen and now it's time to get to work filing bills.

A quick note on the Committee selections -
(For information on the Committee members, see our website - here.)

On the Senate side, Eltife's no-surprise Business and Commerce Committee Chair appointment is a good thing for us. Last session, he was the Sponsor for bills SB515-518. We have also had positive discussions with his staff about the session and consumer issues.

On the House side, Chair of Licensing and Regulations Wayne Smith was
recently honored at Saint Arnold for his help last session. He is also
amenable to another round of beer legislation.

You should also recognize some of those names, they are YOUR Senators and Representatives!

We have compiled the survey results (more on that shortly) and spoken to
countless industry stakeholders to gather important feedback on the
issues that matter most. Our lobbyists have this information in hand and
are working with the Senate and House committee members to get bills
drafted.

The progress so far on our main issues:
Festivals - We are very excited to be working with Representative Goldman of Fort Worth on this issue. He has been exceptionally helpful in
preliminary discussions. We are currently working with legislative staff
on specific bill language (this is a complicated issue). As soon as we
have a bill number we will let you know!

Homebrewing - After conversations with TABC about the possibility of taking care of these issues (homebrew competitions, etc.)
in the code itself we learned this will have to happen in the
legislative arena. Representative Springer, a homebrewer himself, has been extremely helpful and supportive, we are
fired up to be working with him. As with the festivals issue, we are
waiting on official language to be drafted and a bill to be filed. Stay
tuned for more on this.

Shipping - We have a bill filed that we can support!! SB 719 sponsored by Senator Connie Burton of Fort Worth. This bill will allow direct shipment of beer to consumers, from both in
and out-of-state breweries. Her staff is currently working out some
issues with the language (this bill covers liquor as well as beer at
this point), so don't get too concerned about specifics in the bill just
yet. We are expecting a committee substitute bill in the coming weeks.

Off-premise sales - This issue is facing major hurdles and we are working closely with the Texas
Craft Brewers Guild, so while we don't have a bill filed yet, we are
still optimistic on this front.

Growler Sales at Mixed Beverage Licensed Establishments - Unfortunately, we have not found much of an appetite in the Texas
Legislature to change the rules governing retail establishments that
serve mixed beverages this year. We continue to talk to as many people
as possible in the Texas Capitol, but unless something changes in the
coming weeks, the timing does not seem right for this change.

Replacing TABC labeling requirements with TTB approval - Our lobbyists have had a conversation with the TABC and they have
emphasized their efforts to streamline the process and have been working
closely with Texas breweries to accomplish this.

As I've said before (numerous times) on this thread, this is an organization that every Texas poster on this board should get behind. They've already benefited you by changing the laws to allow to-go sales, so let's take this thing to the next level. Hell, I drink maybe 6 beers a year total and I am still supporting them. I want to see all of you drunks stand up and do what needs to be done. Kick the state legislature right in the dick!!!!!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
No Label's Perpetual Peace was a BBA wee heavy. I thought it was outstanding. Still have one in fridge. That may get downed this evening.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
As I've said before (numerous times) on this thread, this is an organization that every Texas poster on this board should get behind. They've already benefited you by changing the laws to allow to-go sales, so let's take this thing to the next level. Hell, I drink maybe 6 beers a year total and I am still supporting them.
Can I have the remainder of these:

quote:
I want to see all of you drunks stand up and do what needs to be done. Kick the state legislature right in the dick!!!!!
Cheers to that!
Jock 07
AG
Jock 07
AG
So how horrible is this **** gonaa be? better or worse than their voodoo doughnut line?
Jock 07
AG
army01
AG
quote:
No Label's Perpetual Peace was a BBA wee heavy. I thought it was outstanding. Still have one in fridge. That may get downed this evening.
Agreed. Perpetual Peace was awesome...but like you said, it was a BBA, not just a straight Wee Heavy.
NColoradoAG
quote:
So how horrible is this **** gonaa be? better or worse than their voodoo doughnut line?

I was contemplating using a bottle in my next batch of chili, but $12-15 for a beer is a lot to dump into the chili pot.
DaveHimself
AG
quote:
This was the first year I had the BBAWW and I really enjoyed it. I think your right on about the Iron Thistle if someone can tell me there is a Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy brewed in Texas I'll leave work right now and go hunt some down.
Try Cannonball by Panther Island Brewing. They don't bottle yet so you'll have to find it on tap somewhere but it's a good one. Had a more roasty porter flavor to it, much different from the handful of scotch ales I've had. I'm a big fan of Iron Thistle too.
Bmac04
AG
quote:
quote:

I was contemplating using a bottle in my next batch of chili, but $12-15 for a beer is a lot to dump into the chili pot.

If its anything like the voofoo doughnut line you can skip the chili pot and pour it straight into the sink.
NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:
quote:

If its anything like the voofoo doughnut line you can skip the chili pot and pour it straight into the sink.

I've never purchased a Rogue beer. I just thought of chili when I saw that beer. I usually use 90 schilling, but have used ten Fidy before in a pinch.
NoneGiven
AG
Not a bad haul today

Avery Uncle Jacob's
Prairie Apple Brandy
FSW Sucaba
Stone Green Tea IPA

Should make for a good weekend.
Scriffer
AG
For you Dallas folk, there was a bunch of Abyss on the shelf at Spec's Walnut Hill if you missed out in the past.
maca1028
Where did you find all that?!
DallasAggie2012
AG
I would guess the Specs on Hulen Street. Unfortunately not a lot of people are getting the Uncle Jacob's Stout because apparently you have to carry liquor here to be able to sell that beer according to one of the smaller beer & wine store guys. I would love to snag an Uncle Jacob's though if anyone can find any extras.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Maca, Blackhawk Shell has green tea and apple brandy.
turfman80
AG
Some nice boxes arrived today!

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
This Apple Brandy Barrel Noir is the best of the Noirs I've had.
Bmac04
AG
So this just happened. Has been at the top of my bucket list beers for awhile now. Completely blew away my expectations based on the base beer. The bourbon and vanilla take it into an entire new level.

BSD
AG
Baller ass mother ****ers up in this thread!
turfman80
AG
Bmac, what beer is that?
BSD
AG
Based on context clues, I'd say it's the 2014 bourbon vanilla Dark Lord.
Bmac04
AG
BSD is correct. 2014 Bourbon Vanilla Dark Lord
turfman80
AG
damn!!!
BSD
AG
I had the '13 BV DL. It was pretty good too. I preferred the Port Barrel aged variant better that same day but that switched a few months later when we revisited them. The '12 Cognac Barrel aged DL was the only other one I had. I loved it. That reminds me, I need to find more of the variants.
NoneGiven
AG
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
Where did you find all that?!
South Lamar Wine and Spirits, Whichcraft, and Specs.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
Unfortunately not a lot of people are getting the Uncle Jacob's Stout because apparently you have to carry liquor here to be able to sell that beer according to one of the smaller beer & wine store guys.
Weird. It clocks in at 16.9 and the cutoff for beer/wine is 17.
Whoop04
How is the stone green tea ipa?
BSD
AG
I'll be damned. A box from SoCal just showed up just one week before I land in San Diego. Thanks Mr UPS man!

First Page Last Page
Page 640 of 1794

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.