Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,677,846 Views | 62652 Replies | Last: 17 min ago by swampstander
CajunAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had the Don Jalapeno Ale by New Label Brewing Co. on Sunday. Was very good, with only a slight hint of the famous green pepper. In other words, they didn't overdo it like some other brewers do when making novelty beers.
62strat
AG
quote:
Also, it's nice that it's 12oz servings so you don't have to tackle a whole bomber at once if you don't want to.

Here's a good tip for all;
I also used to not open bombers unless I was sure I was early in the night and knew I could drink it all.

Now I have a couple of these I got from a beer judging event
http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/p/1272/tasting-corks-plastic

I pretty much am in the habit now of corking a bomber as soon as I pour the first half. The beer will last indefinitely if corked asap. Just a little CO2 continues to escape and blankets the area above the beer (since CO2 is heavier than air) preventing oxidation, and prevents all of the CO2 from coming out, leaving carbonation for the second half of the beer to enjoy at a future time. So they're perfect for an unfinished bomber.

The key is of course to cork it relatively quickly after you open it. The longer it sits unopened, the more CO2 that comes out and escapes the bottle.
gordo97
AG
found this at whole foods by my house..... can't wait to try it

The Beer and I
You should probably just drink 22 oz of beer like a real man.

But I've heard a rubber wine stopper that comes with a pump to suck out the oxygen will re-seal a bomber very well. Not that I've ever used one, just letting you know what I've 'heard'.
62strat
AG
quote:
You should probably just drink 22 oz of beer like a real man.

I've had too many instances after a full night at the bar and it's 2am where I think it's a good idea to crack open a ten percenter

less than $.50 now fixes the problem

you don't need to suck out the oxygen. Like I mentioned, if you cork the bottle, CO2 will still come out of the liquid (until the pressure is equalized inside the bottle). When it does, it stays/sinks to the lowest spot in the bottle; immediately above the liquid, protecting the beer from the oxygen above it.
Same concept applies to an unopened bottle really There is likely oxygen in the bottle, but it's at the top of the headspace.
La Fours
AG
Through UnTappd, I have set up my first beer trade. Sending a guy in Oregon 2 Southern Star Black Crack's for a Ghandi-Bot DIPA by New England Brewing and a White Rajah IPA by Brew Kettle/Productions Works out of Ohio. And once I get those, we've already agreed for me to send him an RU-55 for a Ninkasi Tricerahops.

Any tips on packing beer to ship via UPS?
NColoradoAG
See page 179 for packing tips.
La Fours
AG
Holy crap, you don't eff around with that stuff.
The Beer and I
I'm having the last of my Stone Enjoy By tonight. Unfortunately, I introduced my wife to it, so I'm sharing it with her. I hope it comes back to Houston soon.
BSD
AG
I'm having a RR Blind Pig. It's always a solid choice.
The Beer and I
quote:
I'm having a RR Blind Pig. It's always a solid choice.

I wouldn't know, we can't get RR here. I'm going to Colorado in a couple of days, hoping to get some there.
62strat
AG
Colorado ags.

anybody been to the Epic Beer festival?

www.epicbeerfestival.com

I just bought a pair of tickets using a living social deal. Half off VIP ticket. Only $50 unlimited tastings. 300 beers to choose from.

If you decide to buy it, use this link below por favor

http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/611410?ref=personalized-link-box-111046424_share&rpi=111046424

Once it reaches 1000 purchases, it goes up to $55. 925 so far..

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 3/27/2013 9:35a).]
spadilly
S
Cracked open my bottle of Black Crack last night.

Oh my. I really wish I would have picked up a few more at the time I bought it. That stuff was excellent.

Also opened a B-itches Brew bomber I bought back in October. I had one back then and thought it was overrated, but last night seemed to change my opinion on it. I would buy it again.

[This message has been edited by spadilly (edited 3/27/2013 9:41a).]
La Fours
AG
spadilly, I would check Specs. They should have a few bottles still.
spadilly
S

thanks. I've been laying low for a little while with trips to Spec's and HEB. I'll check it out this week.
Jock 07
AG
Have always enjoyed the Jew beers that I've had, especially the Lenny's RIPA
spadilly
S
Found me a foursome of Burton Baton at HEB this afternoon.
TxKng82
AG

Having a Clown Shoes Luchador En Fuego at Rockwell's. Very good. Its a Mexican Style Chocolate Stout.
TxKng82
AG
Was hoping to get the Funky Jewbelation like above but they ran out.
62strat
AG
Mexican style stout? what is that?
didn't even know mexico made stouts!
TxKng82
AG
quote:
Mexican style stout? what is that?
didn't even know mexico made stouts!

I didn't either, but it tastes good! The bottle just says spices and vanilla and then its aged in Wild Turkey and Heaven hill bourbon barrels. I think it has ancho chiles and chipotle which I guess makes it Mexican! Has a little bite at the end.
The Beer and I
Deschutes Hop Henge Double IPA. Good stuff, big hops for you Hop Heads.
BSD
AG
Alpine Nelson tonight.
WorkBoots09
AG
Rahr Angry Goat weizenbock. Meh, not bad.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
Ninkasi Tricerahops.

Very good. Went to their brewery in Eugene last March.

gordo97
AG
went to specs and got a couple of The Dogfather (Bourbon Barrel Aged) and some Kickin' Chicken Bourbon Barrel Barley Wine...... i'm really enjoying the barrel aging craze right now
jh0400
AG
quote:
went to specs and got a couple of The Dogfather (Bourbon Barrel Aged) and some Kickin' Chicken Bourbon Barrel Barley Wine...... i'm really enjoying the barrel aging craze right now

I bought a Kickin Chicken back from Santa Fe. I hope the barrel aging knocks down some of the sweetness, because the Chicken Killer was almost too sweet to enjoy.
MADDUD
Just opened my first Abyss! Bottled in 2010. Very good stout, well worth the wait.
CollinAB
AG
I'm trying Aprihop for the first time. Pretty good. Also excited I managed to get one of the last bottles of Black Crack from the CS Spec's.
The Beer and I
Just got to Telluride and hit up the liquor store. Got a bottle of The Lost Abbey Avant Garde. It's pretty good, they have a bunch of stuff not available in Houston. I will be visiting the store again tomorrow when I have more time to shop.
Pugh Ag
El Cedro - Jester King

Stalked to the gills at Central Market, San Antonio.

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s631/Rmlammert/image_zpsed0ef19d.jpg
Vernada
AG
I finally had the Dogfather last night. I thought it was ok. Not sure if I'd buy again.
La Fours
AG
Been enjoying Aprihop as well.
BSD
AG
Tough decisions ahead...

jetch17
First Page Last Page
Page 192 of 1791

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.