Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,712,865 Views | 62703 Replies | Last: 29 min ago by swampstander
SoTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems Urban South-houston went with more of the fruity adjunct stuff rather than some of the other offerings that were coming out of new orleans. Think they hired away the B-52 brewers when they started so i assume that brewstaff is now looking for a landing spot.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I think their plan always was to use it to do more experimental stuff.
swampstander
AG
SoTxAg said:

Seems Urban South-houston went with more of the fruity adjunct stuff rather than some of the other offerings that were coming out of new orleans. Think they hired away the B-52 brewers when they started so i assume that brewstaff is now looking for a landing spot.

B52 should go back to their roots. We went in late 2016. They had great Brett beers, some nice IPAs, wheat beers and saisons. Went back a couple years later and it was all over fruited over lactosed crap. I'm ok with fruited sours but keep all of the milk sugar out please. And if it's 9% don't call it a Berliner Weisse… it's not. Rant off.
Jock 07
AG
dave99ag said:

Sounds like a good reason to go back to Monkish.

Ha, yes indeed. On another note headed down to San Antonio next week. Will be staying at lackland but probably going to see a buddy around the Randolph area as well. Any beer or food suggestions?
Jock 07
AG
swampstander said:

SoTxAg said:

B52 should go back to their roots. We went in late 2016. They had great Brett beers, some nice IPAs, wheat beers and saisons. Went back a couple years later and it was all over fruited over lactosed crap. I'm ok with fruited sours but keep all of the milk sugar out please. And if it's 9% don't call it a Berliner Weisse… it's not. Rant off.

Preach on! Never understood the fascination with milkshake IPAs and lactose sours.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Sounds like they just chased fads and got away from their roots.

I had a lactose IPA from Great Notion once that was nice, but it was just fun to try and not a style or beer I'd continually spend money on.
jetch17
AG
Drip drip drip drip

cena05
AG
The head brewer at Urban South was Dave he came from B-52 and before that was at Whole Foods. He was great and everywhere he left has struggled afterwards. After Urban he moved out to San Diego to open his own brewery.
hbc07
AG
The continuing adventures of drinking beer that I should have drank a long time ago:

Ags #1
AG

steve00
AG
The Lost Abbey Confessional in Cardiff is celebrating 9 years of being open this weekend, so Duck Duck Gooze was on draft. Had an Every Everything IPA chaser.

turfman80
AG
Ags #1 said:

Serious question...how do you acquire so many stellar stouts?
Ags #1
AG
Have a proxy ship to me for 8th st. Others gotten secondary. Once I got a cellar built up traded for them now
Objective Aggie
AG
That kind of day.
Ags #1
AG

Objective Aggie
AG
steve00 said:

The Lost Abbey Confessional in Cardiff is celebrating 9 years of being open this weekend, so Duck Duck Gooze was on draft. Had an Every Everything IPA chaser.

I go to Cardiff. Please tell me more about this place??
Ags #1
AG

Quincey P. Morris
AG
My wife went to see our daughter at UTSA this weekend and brought me some beers back. This one ain't too bad at all.
steve00
AG
It is a satellite tasting room for Lost Abbey with around 20 beers on tap and bombers available. It is way more comfortable than the brewery, as they actually have chairs.

It is in the same parking lot as Seaside Market, about a block from the water. The play is to go at lunchtime and grab a couple of slices from the NY pizza shop next door and bring them in to eat on the patio with a beer while you look out past the palm trees at a horizon view of the water. My wife usually grabs a poke bowl or Cardiff Crack (tri-tip) sandwich from the market.

After lunch, you go to the market to choose some stuff from their very solid beer case and their stellar meat/seafood section. Then cruise back down the coast highway to grill some dinner at home. I probably do this once a week.
Objective Aggie
AG
steve00 said:

It is a satellite tasting room for Lost Abbey with around 20 beers on tap and bombers available. It is way more comfortable than the brewery, as they actually have chairs.

It is in the same parking lot as Seaside Market, about a block from the water. The play is to go at lunchtime and grab a couple of slices from the NY pizza shop next door and bring them in to eat on the patio with a beer while you look out past the palm trees at a horizon view of the water. My wife usually grabs a poke bowl or Cardiff Crack (tri-tip) sandwich from the market.

After lunch, you go to the market to choose some stuff from their very solid beer case and their stellar meat/seafood section. Then cruise back down the coast highway to grill some dinner at home. I probably do this once a week.

I have an office in walking distance. I've had Cardiff crack. Never paid attention to brewery. I'm in.
swampstander
AG
Tupp's Red Riot double red rye IPA. Damned delicious.

Samuel Smith's Pure Brewed Organic Lager. Another delicious beer.

maca1028
Enjoying the last bit of cooler weather until October
AG E VET
Nice brewery here in Dripping Springs, Tx. Come visit sometime
Quincey P. Morris
AG
maca1028 said:

Enjoying the last bit of cooler weather until October

The way the last few years have gone we'll be lucky if we get cooler weather by October.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
AG E VET said:

Nice brewery here in Dripping Springs, Tx. Come visit sometime

It's definitely on the list.
Kyle98
AG
Got myself and a car full of stuff to VA. Family will join late June. First beer in the new house!
Ags #1
AG

Crawdaddy
AG
Congrats on the next chapter! Cheers
swampstander
AG
World Beer Cup winners announced.

https://www.worldbeercup.org/winners/current-winners/
Quincey P. Morris
AG
This one is pretty solid and I like the can art.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Nice glassware. I was three sheets to the wind at that brewery a few summers ago. Stepped out at 2am and it was so bright still you'd have thought it was 2 in the afternoon. For some reason, the pedestrian street out front of the taproom in Reyk is in the form of a running track. Me and my pals had the bright idea of racing each other and one ended up spewing stout beer and gas station hot dogs after running a 6.8 second 40 yard dash.
Jock 07
AG
Kyle98 said:

Got myself and a car full of stuff to VA. Family will join late June. First beer in the new house!

PCS beers are always great and a relief after finally getting to the new spot.
maca1028
Nm, misread the label
Jock 07
AG
Hangin out with an old buddy at Randolph tonight. Found this at the local specs for $4. Forgive the glassware, I've forced him to drink out of A&M glasses as well over the years.

steve00
AG
Randolph in Universal City? I was there a lot, many years ago. Why does it look like a slushy?
First Page Last Page
Page 1790 of 1792

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.