Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,676,008 Views | 62647 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by maca1028
turfman80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great news, especially for those of us who were able to enjoy the original Alpine beers. The original owners, Pat and Shawn McIllhenney, have regained ownership of Alpine from Green Flash and plan to start brewing again in the oid location in the tiny town of Alpine, CA.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
Chipotlemonger
AG
Been a while since I've gone for an Ayinger! Or any German import for that matter. Looks good though.
Bulldog73
AG
Yep, that's it. Bummer that it's retired.

I've also noticed most Kolsches aren't well reviewed on a lot of those ratings, even the more respected kolsches.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I try to rate a beer against beers in the same style. It's not always easy to step back and do that, but I try. So if I have a damn amazing Pilsner, I'll give it a 4.5-5. If I have an okay IPA, a 4. On Untapp'd though, the general public rates them about the same.
FriedTex
AG
Bulldog73 said:

I've also noticed most Kolsches aren't well reviewed on a lot of those ratings, even the more respected kolsches.

It's my post-mowing the yard - go to beer. St. Arnold's picked a great name
Jock 07
AG
turfman80 said:

Great news, especially for those of us who were able to enjoy the original Alpine beers. The original owners, Pat and Shawn McIllhenney, have regained ownership of Alpine from Green Flash and plan to start brewing again in the oid location in the tiny town of Alpine, CA.

Sweet, I see Nelson on the shelf often but it's always at least 3 months old
jah003
S
Bulldog73 said:

Untappd is the absolute worst about this. Just had a disaster of a Lactose DIPA from Drekker the other night and the Untappd rating was like 4.1 or something. Meanwhile a world class Pilz from Live Oak is sitting at 3.58. I feel like haze bro just gets an automatic star bump no matter how horrible the beer is.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Preach.
CDub06
AG
I tend to grade on a curve. Even if it's not my style, I can still appreciate it. That said, which Drekker was it so I can check to see if I'm among the offending haze bros
AggieOO
Usually if its something that's not my style, I just check in with no rating, bc I don't feel I can provide an honest take on them.
jah003
S
CDub06 said:

I tend to grade on a curve. Even if it's not my style, I can still appreciate it. That said, which Drekker was it so I can check to see if I'm among the offending haze bros
Loki is my homeboy. It was overly sweet with a Pilsner taste. So... essentially a sweet boozy Pilsner.
I've had 2 or 3 of their other DIPA's and really enjoyed them though.
Texaggie7nine
11 Below Flexual Healing BBA
Surprisingly really good.
7nine
jetch17
AG
Ok vaca, let's do it

FriedTex
AG
Happy 3rd!
GarlandAg2012
AG
jetch17 said:

Ok vaca, let's do it

How'd your source the Heady Topper? I am in Upstate NY and want to score some but it seems hard to find even here.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Old standards are tasty.
wessimo
AG
Nice one from Burgeon Beer Co outta Carlsbad CA. Thanks steve00!
steve00
AG
If you are in upstate NY, then you could just drive to the brewery In VT and buy it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Some good beer out around Carlsbad!
GarlandAg2012
AG
Yeah I know, trying to not add another 9 hours round trip of driving though.
Jock 07
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

jetch17 said:

Ok vaca, let's do it

How'd your source the Heady Topper? I am in Upstate NY and want to score some but it seems hard to find even here.
it's popped up here at local beer stores a couple times now over the past couple months. I've seen it's popped up at my old spots in CO in the same timeframe as well. I'm assuming they're now distributing in some limited fashion.
AggieOO
My brother in law tried to get Black is Beautiful from Monkish today. It sold out in minutes.

He's going to try when Smog City releases their version.
jetch17
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

jetch17 said:

Ok vaca, let's do it

I've kept a good VT contact after buying from mybeercollectibles years ago, now he is willing to put together packages at will. Same with the plinys & west coasties
Jock 07
AG
AggieOO said:

My brother in law tried to get Black is Beautiful from Monkish today. It sold out in minutes.

yea the Monkish drops aren't lasting much more than 10-15 minutes at most. I've seen them disappear in as little as 3-5 minutes as well. For future reference they usually drop on Tues-Thurs mornings ~10 AM. Best chance is to be sitting on the site about that time refreshing the page. there's typically 2 drops a week.
DaveHimself
AG
This hits the spot with this weather.

steve00
AG
I have a similar deal with a guy from MBC. I've been buying direct for 5 years after my first MBC purchase, so he just emails me to check in on what I want.
Jock 07
AG
Man I don't care if this is any good or not, I just want it for the can art

https://instagr.am/p/CBlpkvIJuGE
jetch17
AG
Cheers dildos, grill is goin and the inaugural Pliny at the beach house is cracked ... cheers!

jah003
S
One my favorite seasonals.
Chipotlemonger
AG
They still do that imperial red, battle axe? I love that one too.

ABW seasonal releases are some of my favorite beers. Black Thunder is stellar.
jah003
S
Chipotlemonger said:

They still do that imperial red, battle axe? I love that one too.

ABW seasonal releases are some of my favorite beers. Black Thunder is stellar.
Black Thunder popped up a while back but they've technically "discontinued" both.

I just want them to bring back the Heavy Machinery IPA's.
jah003
S
Dear god.
jetch17
AG
A fine evening

AggieOO
Jock 07 said:

AggieOO said:

yea the Monkish drops aren't lasting much more than 10-15 minutes at most. I've seen them disappear in as little as 3-5 minutes as well. For future reference they usually drop on Tues-Thurs mornings ~10 AM. Best chance is to be sitting on the site about that time refreshing the page. there's typically 2 drops a week.

Basically what he did, and still missed out.
FriedTex
AG
Tell me more
First Page Last Page
Page 1530 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.