Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,619,590 Views | 62597 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by Chipotlemonger
Scriffer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieOO said:

Booked our October trip to Madison. Will finally be going to new Glarus on this trip.

You have my attention
AggieOO
Fyi - Have something for you, and will be coming through Dallas the first weekend of October on my way to/from my 100.
jah003
S
AggieOO said:

Booked our October trip to Madison. Will finally be going to new Glarus on this trip.
Top 5 brewery visit for me. Reminds me a lot of Jester King... old farmhouse style brewery with a ton of open space. Going in October should be downright spectacular.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I wouldn't recommend it either. The guy sitting next to me at Lakewood growler had a glass of it and it sounded interesting. I tried it trying to figure out what to get growlers of. Based on that one sample I wouldn't try any more Brit's.
AggieOO
I'm excited. Most of our Madison trips have been pretty quick, as we are normally going to/from northern Wisconsin.

Unfortunately, no Wisconsin home game that weekend, but doubt I would have been able to go anyway since we are going for my nephew's birthday party. Hopefully our game against south Carolina is a night game or I will be watching on my phone.

Also going to hit One Barrel Brewing. I'm a fan of their stuff. Done Karben 4 and ale asylum on past trips.
lne2011
AG
Time to join the baby group of the beer thread. Meet Connor, he was born August 22, weighing 9.0lbs and 20.5"!

My first post-baby beer was Color Block from Prairie, Milkshake IPA with orange zest. It's my second Milkshake IPA and so far I prefer NEIPA. It's good, but the added lactose isn't doing much for me.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Glad this popped up. Forgot to tell you congratulations!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Congratulations!
jah003
S
What exactly the hell was going on 9 months ago around here...!?
NColoradoAG
jah003 said:

Jimbo babies
jcbaggie04
AG
Could just blame the beer, but Jimbo babies is pretty good.
jcbaggie04
AG
Congrats to you ine2011 and Lt bookman, and anyone else I missed reading about. I became a new dad once again in June as well. It's truly the best!
Kyle98
AG
Congrats! Can't wait for the first beer-threader-kids bottle share in 21+ years!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Congratulations to all the new dads!

Jah, I don't know what happened 9 months ago, but 9 minutes ago I opened one of these at your recommendation. Excellent backyard beer!

jetch17
AG
Congrats!

The last Trillium tasty from our trip and my last beer for a while, time to dry out a bit

Kyle98
AG
True Love and Imperial True Love today. I like the Imperial True Love better, by a decent margin, too.

ChipFTAC01
AG
Had our first yardgate of the fall to socialize with our neighbors we don't see enough of. I know I have good beer drinking neighbors, many of whom brew. Picked up a variety of six packs yesterday but the surprise out of the bunch was some brewery out of Allen and a fantastic IPA.

Nine Band is the brewery. The ipa isn't on their website and I can't get to the fridge or my phone to see what the ipa is called.
AggieOO
i do love me some Super Awesome!

We went to Awesome Cross the past two years at ABW. Its a good time. Next year, I hope to actually participate.
Jock 07
AG
Congrats!
Jock 07
AG
NColoradoAG said:

jah003 said:

Jimbo babies

Haha, I seem to remember a few other posters having a kid about the same time as I did back around Apr 16 as well for some reason
lne2011
AG
Jock 07 said:

NColoradoAG said:

jah003 said:

Jimbo babies

Haha, I seem to remember a few other posters having a kid about the same time as I did back around Apr 16 as well for some reason

We're in the Houston area. The medical staff at the hospital said they've been busy the past few months. Between Harvey, then the Astros championship, I'd say Houstonians have been busy.
jetch17
AG
anyone hitting the Brash anniv party this year? Tickets went on sale today
lne2011
AG
New Milkshake IPA showing up in El Paso... I mean, Katy this Friday:

Jock 07
AG
Really surprised that no label is still even open honestly.
jah003
S
Jock 07 said:

I went there a few years ago when they had tokens for pours. Literally eaveryone at the brewery was trying to give their tokens away to someone else (including me). Maybe they've improved, but I've blown past their beer every time I see it at the store.
BowSowy
AG
jah003 said:

Jock 07 said:

I went there a few years ago when they had tokens for pours. Literally eaveryone at the brewery was trying to give their tokens away to someone else (including me). Maybe they've improved, but I've blown past their beer every time I see it at the store.
Not surprising, it always seems like half the people at the brewery are just there to hang out and not drink. I just looked at their website and it seems like they have one, maybe two of their original beers still in rotation. Also looks like they've rebranded significantly. Can't imagine it's a good sign to completely change out your rotation.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Jock 07 said:

Are they maybe surviving on Katy loyalty? Does anyone see them on tap anywhere? I wouldn't be surprised if a new brewery or two pops up in Katy and runs them out of business.

We're seeing more suburban breweries, but I can't wait until they become more common and every suburb has their couple.
dave99ag
AG
I enjoyed their Nightmare on 1st Street, but otherwise eh.

I'm definitely a fan of the local brewery / watering hole. For us, it's B-52 even though it's a 45 minute drive. I enjoy their beer more than New Republic, so it's worth going over there when we head to the Woodlands.
NColoradoAG
Do yall have a plan for a Clemson bottleshare yet? I'll have a couple friends in town with me who aren't huge into beer, but I'm always down to stop in and see you hooligans for a brew or two.
La Fours
AG
NL always seems to have at least one tap at a few places in BCS. They have a couple of new beers out that I have been meaning to try. The squeeze and twist ipa and mojito lime gose.
62strat
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Jock 07 said:

Are they maybe surviving on Katy loyalty? Does anyone see them on tap anywhere? I wouldn't be surprised if a new brewery or two pops up in Katy and runs them out of business.

We're seeing more suburban breweries, but I can't wait until they become more common and every suburb has their couple.
There are tons of little local burb breweries around Denver, many of them not bad or great, just there. You don't have to sell a million beers to stay in business. The margins on taproom pours are pretty good.

But to answer your questions, yes, it has everything to do with katy residents. Your average beer drinker (who wants a craft beer) is not traveling around to get a pint. You get one on your way home, or a quick one on saturday afternoon, etc. This is how probably 90% of breweries in the US are running; selling beer to people that live within 5 miles, and supplement it with accounts (liquor store and/or bars/restaurants).

ChipFTAC01
AG
I agree with your point about how all of those little breweries keep the doors open. My sister lives near you and every Friday they'll look and see which food truck is at each brewery and then go have family dinner and a beer or two. That's what I'm looking forward to.

I longingly look at retail and industrial flex space real estate in my area trying to find a good place for someone to shoehorn in a brewery that I could pop in for a Saturday pint.
62strat
AG
To add:

My wife and I rotate between the 3-4 breweries in our small town of 50k, buying about 4-5 pints a week. If 1k other people in our town are doing the same, that's ~$5k of revenue a week per brewery, which seems like plenty enough to run their type of business.

Bmac04
AG
I'm sure me and P-Wonk will have some extra room to host at this tailgate.
AggieStout
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Do yall have a plan for a Clemson bottleshare yet? I'll have a couple friends in town with me who aren't huge into beer, but I'm always down to stop in and see you hooligans for a brew or two.

Think this is my plan too. Roll by with a couple bottles enough stuff to cover them for a share.
First Page Last Page
Page 1376 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.