Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,566,466 Views | 62472 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by jah003
DonaldFDraper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to Nashville this weekend. Staying in Franklin one night then in Downtown the other two. I have Bearded Iris on the list. I went to Yazoo and Jackalope a few years ago.

Any other breweries or bars that are musts?
CDub06
AG
Add Southern Grist to your list for sure. New Heights was probably my favorite near downtown (the gulch).
Chipotlemonger
AG
Definitely agree with this.

Breweries:
Southern Grist - now two locations, 4-packs to go and some crowlers as well
New Heights
Bearded Iris

Good Beer Bars:
Craft Brewed - my favorite beer bar and bottle shop, liquor (to go) and wine (to drink or to go) too.
51 North Taproom
12 South Taproom (They are by the same group but I prefer 51 North. Off the beaten path but nicer and good bites. 12 south though is definitely in a trendy/cool spot which can help satisfy the SO)
Filling Station - fun small joint with a few locations
Hopsmith Tavern - midtown. Way newer place but I enjoyed the beer selection and I hear it's good for food too
Chipotlemonger
AG
If you're into whiskey or bourbon at all, I very highly recommend the tour at Nelson's Greenbrier Distillery as well. It's a nice efficient tour. Tickets are cheap and you get a damn nice amount of bourbon at the end of it to sample.

Mantra Artisan Ales in Franklin would be fun to visit too since you are down that ways at least the one night, but I wouldn't put it above any of those other 3 mentioned. They definitely have some cool unique beers though, and some great memorable ones too.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I forgot, since you're downtown HQ Beercade would be a convenient place to check out as well. It's a lot of fun. Some drink prices are higher because of its downtown location, but nothing beats having a pint and playing NBA Jam arcade style. Not a bad selection there.
hbc07
AG

Starting to work through my stash. 10 Barrel Rye'm or Treason Imperial Rye Ale.from 2012 or 2013 paired with a Robert Caldwell Funfetti.

Sorry if the image is huge. Posting on texags has changed a lot since I last participated.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Excellent. Thank you!
Two Down
AG
I know it's a bit early for trade value Tues., but does a 2015 Utopias + Fen Tao Magnum + JK Genies get me any closer do you think?
IronRed13
AG
Going to Portland for Homebrew Con - What are the must hit breweries or pubs around downtown and convention center?

Also going to Denver for API conference mid June; planning to get there the weekend before and roadtrip some breweries near Greeley and Fort Collins. Definitely plan to hit up WeldWerks and FunkWerks, is it worth visiting some bigger guys like Odell and New Belgium, or are there some smaller guys worth checking out?
NColoradoAG
Two Down said:

I know it's a bit early for trade value Tues., but does a 2015 Utopias + Fen Tao Magnum + JK Genies get me any closer do you think?
You need to sell the beers and buy the bourbon secondary. Its the easiest way to go. Beer for bourbon never works out in the beer sides favor.
NColoradoAG
IronRed13 said:

Going to Portland for Homebrew Con - What are the must hit breweries or pubs around downtown and convention center?

Also going to Denver for API conference mid June; planning to get there the weekend before and roadtrip some breweries near Greeley and Fort Collins. Definitely plan to hit up WeldWerks and FunkWerks, is it worth visiting some bigger guys like Odell and New Belgium, or are there some smaller guys worth checking out?
Yes, Odell and New Belgium are worth a stop. If it's just you, jump on the New Belgium tour. Always a good time.

Hit me up when you're in Greeley and the beer is on me.
hbc07
AG
My recommendations would be:

Hair of the Dog
Cascade
Hopworks
10 Barrel (people hate on them because they sold out, but I like the beer and the location)
Deschutes and Bridgeport too.
Ecliptic isn't bad and has a nice location on the hill opposite downtown.

Really just throw a dart at a map and you'll find a good brewery.

General drinking-wise go to Horse Brass Pub owned by the late Don Younger. Apex is a good voice too, but is cash only.
jh0400
AG
Apex is a cool place, but you can drop a good amount of cash if you're not careful. They have an awesome tap list and some great bottles.
Chipotlemonger
AG

Not the worst Monday afternoon I've had.
Bmac04
AG
Maybe a little but still pretty far off. Going to be hard to trade any amount of JK for pappy. Your best bet is to sell and buy like Adam suggested. The only time you can trade beer for high and bourbon is if the beer is super rare.

I was actually pretty happy that I was able to trade beer really close to $4$ secondary pricing for one of the bottles. Oude Fermier ($600) + Westly ($350)
Bmac04
AG
Apex and Belmont Station are good bars. Great Notion brewing is definitely worth a stop.
Topher17
AG
Belmont Station is a great bar and bottle shop and Bailey's Taproom was a lot of fun with a great selection. I would highly recommend both. I would also consider Great Notion a can't miss brewery while you are there. If you are into sours, the Cascade Barrel room was a lot of fun too.
NColoradoAG
Bmac04 said:

Maybe a little but still pretty far off. Going to be hard to trade any amount of JK for pappy. Your best bet is to sell and buy like Adam suggested. The only time you can trade beer for high and bourbon is if the beer is super rare.

I was actually pretty happy that I was able to trade beer really close to $4$ secondary pricing for one of the bottles. Oude Fermier ($600) + Westly ($350)
I'm no connoisseur by any means, but the WLW we landed in February was way tastier to me than the bottle of PVW 23 that we've been working on at my parents house.
Bmac04
AG
Not a huge fan of 23 but WLW is great especially compared to the price of pappy 15. But dat pappy doe...
ChipFTAC01
AG
Flew home from England this morning. Last night I went and bought a dozen cans and bottles at the local bottle shop and this morning I hastily wrapped them in crib sheets and kids towels and shoved them into a duffle bag. Miraculously they all survived. Now I just have to decide what's to share and what's for me.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Throw a pic up.
dave99ag
AG
Did you fly overseas with a little one? Brave!
IronRed13
AG
Thanks for the feedback. Will keep those big guys on the trip! Will be 2, maybe 3 of us but we'll see if we can get in a tour.

Looking forward to some Juicy Bits! I'll hit you up when I get in.
Scriffer
AG
Been hanging onto this one awhile. Batch 1 from 2016. Pretty oakey and not as much pecan as I expected, but still enjoyable.

txag2008
txag2008
AG
Props to Bmac for supplying me with not one beer that I've ever heard of. There's some good ones in here to stash away and look forward to. Was nice meeting you today.

Inspector Spacetime
AG
txag2008 said:

Props to Bmac for supplying me with not one beer that I've ever heard of. There's some good ones in here to stash away and look forward to. Was nice meeting you today.

Amalgamator is ****ing fantastic. Drink that ish immediately.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Two little ones. Actually mom flew over with her mom to go visit family. I had a nice quiet flight over by myself, had a scotch and watched a couple of movies and slept for a few hours. She had something like 18 hours of travel including what ended up being a 6 hour layover in Newark and two 18 month olds who only fell asleep during ththe descent into Manchester.
maca1028
Glad y'all are talking Portland, we are flying up there in July. Might spend a night in Bend also. Anything worth checking out there other than obviously Deschutes?
Bmac04
AG
Boneyard makes some great West coast ipas
jh0400
AG
Seconded.

hbc07
AG
Cruz fermentation could be good. I was just looking at bend and it seems like they have just as many breweries as Portland.
Bmac04
AG
The Ale Apothecary is also worth checking out.
Topher17
AG
maca1028 said:

Glad y'all are talking Portland, we are flying up there in July. Might spend a night in Bend also. Anything worth checking out there other than obviously Deschutes?
Haven't been to Bend, but if you're going through the Gorge and then south, I'd recommend a stop at pFriem in Hood River.
big-ag
AG
Pfriem
First Page Last Page
Page 1343 of 1785

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.