Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,569,048 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by La Fours
dave99ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jah003 said:

Currently at 17 entries for the March Madness contest (will be 19 when Dave and lady Dave enter). Pretty close to awarding beer to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Also... who's bracket entry is "How do I pick Gordon"...?
That would be Dave and Dr. Lady Dave. She doesn't hesitate to remind me. Brackets are going up now.
La Fours
AG
My plan since she earned her PhD, is if I see y'all together in public to address y'all as dr and mr daveag.
dave99ag
AG
Yeah, I have no idea how that works. I'm lucky to have graduated. She did a PhD in under 4 years while running a business, raising a baby, and putting up with me. She deserves all the beer!
SoTxAg
AG
Backtracking to the new england ipa conversation, i live in SA where Weathered Souls brewery puts out a couple great neipa's and other locals like Mad Pecker and Freetail have good ones also. Sorry that i dont know much about metroplex beers other than what i find at growler fill places

FWIW, the Houston Beer Guide put out a list of neipas to try couple months back. Not sure if all of these remain available as list probably needs updating.

"Houston Embraces the Haze Craze"

"By my count and, try as I might, it's possible I may miss a few, as there really have been a lot of releases the following should be a mostly comprehensive list of local beers that have been brewed in the style (this list only includes officially released beers, not pilot batches):

8th Wonder S.L.A.B.
B-52 Wheez the Juice (16-oz. cans)
Baa Baa Brewhouse Cat and the Fiddle
Baa Baa Brewhouse Cow Jumped over the Moon (12-oz. cans)
Baa Baa Brewhouse Ennie (12-oz. cans)
Baa Baa Brewhouse The Little Dog Laughed
Copperhead Feeding Frenzy (12-oz. cans)
Copperhead Kangaroo Killer
No Label Sittin' Sidehaze
Sigma 4X DH Medina Sod
SpindleTap Houston Haze (16-oz. cans)
Whole Foods Market Brewing Co. Detonate
Whole Foods Market Brewing Co. DL Double (hasn't historically been one, but recent Untappd checkins would seem to indicate a revised recipe)
Whole Foods Market Brewing Co. Haze Phaze
Whole Foods Market Brewing Co. Hop Explorer X
Whole Foods Market Brewing Co. Hop Explorer XI
Whole Foods Market Brewing Co. NEAF
Whole Foods Market Brewing Co. Overcast
Whole Foods Market Brewing Co. Scattered Showers
Whole Foods Market Brewing Co. Spottie Oaty
Whole Foods Market Brewing Co. Steady Sippin'
Whole Foods Market Brewing Co. Tropical Storms"
CDub06
AG
I don't know about Baa Baa, but the Haze Go Tos in Houston seem to be SpindleTap, Whole Foods & B52.
NColoradoAG
Baa Baa Brewhouse

Probably the worst brewery name i've ever heard.
jh0400
AG
It seems like Whole Foods is putting out a new recipe every few days with multiple NEIPA options on at any one time.
cc10106
CDub06 said:

I don't know about Baa Baa, but the Haze Go Tos in Houston seem to be SpindleTap, Whole Foods & B52.
Bad name or not, they should be in the conversation with the rest. Their main problem is location and limited distro (for now), but hopefully that will change with their recent expansion. Their most recent NEIPA, Bop It, was a hit and some of the better haze I've had recently.
jh0400
AG
I've wanted to try Baa Baa, but they are way out there. At one point they had a beer on Hop Drop. I wish they had at least some distribution.
jah003
S
dave99ag said:

jah003 said:

Currently at 17 entries for the March Madness contest (will be 19 when Dave and lady Dave enter). Pretty close to awarding beer to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Also... who's bracket entry is "How do I pick Gordon"...?
That would be Dave and Dr. Lady Dave. She doesn't hesitate to remind me. Brackets are going up now.
oh crap! Forgot about that!

Ok, we have hit 20 entries. Who is bostonbritt?

We should be able to do 1st, 2nd, and 3rd now. Basically, 17 people will send. Maybe 11 to 1st place, 4 to 2nd, and 2 to 3rd. I'll figure out the logistics later.

Still time to enter! La Fours, NColorado, Bmac, BSD... I'm looking at you *******s...
Chipotlemonger
AG
Our beers aren't good enough for them
lne2011
AG
I can vouch for bostonbritt, not that I'm a regular poster. But, someone else can definitely vouch for her.
MattJaxson
AG
bostonbritt is my wife. I guess I'll vouch for her and the fact that she loves beer as much as all of us. Looks like we'll have two beer donations to make this year.
Robert C. Christian
AG
MattJaxson said:

bostonbritt is my wife. I guess I'll vouch for her and the fact that she loves beer as much as all of us. Looks like we'll have two beer donations to make this year.
bostonbritt is good people, MattJaxson on the other hand...
lne2011
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

MattJaxson said:

bostonbritt is good people, MattJaxson on the other hand...

This is why I did not name anyone.
La Fours
AG
Man I want to enter but just can't swing it this year. Maybe next time.
Wheatables02
AG
I guess I still have about an hour to decide. Am I reading it right where you would send a 4 pack of bombers or good 6 pack? Out of the following, what kind of damage would I be looking at? I'll admit I'm new to this and don't have the awesome beers you guys do...

Pliny the Elder bomber
Clown Shoes Crasher in the Rye 2017 bomber
Woot Stout 2017 bomber
Bourbon County Stout 2017
KBS 2016
Ballast Point Victory at Sea aged in HW Barrels 2017

many more aged imperial stouts....local DFW beers such as fur slipper, mango smash IPA, Dawn of the Dank, etc
Matsui
AG
where exactly did you go and get the beers and coffee? I'm located in CA.
MW13
AG
I'm late to the party this year but think I'm going to get in here in just a minute.

Wheat,

As a former participant and several time winner of beer thread contests my feelings are all those beers you listed are good to go. Some guys obviously have some crazy great stuff but I think the goal is to have stuff that is at least a little better than average and even better for regional stuff that not everyone has easy access to.

As for your other question a 6 pack or 4 pack counts as 1 beer in your 4 beer minimum entry fee.

There are other beer threaders with way more clout than me but my vote is you are good.
Bmac04
AG
Just signed up so I could write this off as a charitable donation to some lucky SOB
MW13
AG
Bmac04 said:

Just signed up so I could write this off as a charitable donation to some lucky SOB
And with that, if you were on the fence you shouldn't be anymore haha.
Kyle98
AG
MW13 said:

I'm late to the party this year but think I'm going to get in here in just a minute.

Wheat,

As a former participant and several time winner of beer thread contests my feelings are all those beers you listed are good to go. Some guys obviously have some crazy great stuff but I think the goal is to have stuff that is at least a little better than average and even better for regional stuff that not everyone has easy access to.

As for your other question a 6 pack or 4 pack counts as 1 beer in your 4 beer minimum entry fee.

There are other beer threaders with way more clout than me but my vote is you are good.

Agreed. I also usually throw in some homebrew.
Wheatables02
AG
In!
Hudson2508
AG
Just did my picks. I know even less about college hoops that I thought i did.
streetfighter2012
AG
Realizing that scheduling a mouth surgery on the first day of the tournament might have been a dumb idea. But I guess I can just send off the beer that I would have been drinking over the next few weeks to the winners and be more or less even in the end.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Matsui said:

where exactly did you go and get the beers and coffee? I'm located in CA.
I was in Bakersfield. Bought the beer at a Trader Joe's there, and the nitro cold brew was from a place called Cloud 9.Was tough to find, being in a food truck in an industrial park, but was well worth it.

You could find better beer selection elsewhere...it was actually the only Modern Times beer I saw at the store. The Kern River bomber was one of a handful, but I think that was mainly because of Bakersfield proximity to that brewing company.
jah003
S
And just like that... 25 entries...

As for sending beer... I think you're main goal is to send some stuff that person wouldn't have access to on a regular basis. Minimum is 4 "beers"... a beer would count as a 4/6 pack, Crowler, Bomber, or a hard to find 12 oz., genie bottle, etc.
jah003
S
I actually followed College basketball a decent amount this year... which means all you jabronis conceding your beer are gonna kick my ass.

Once the picks lock, I'll post everyone's entry with their NC winner...
Chipotlemonger
AG
25 entries, damn! jah003 I know this is your show, but what about adding a reward for 4th place, or evening out the prizes some for 1-3? Doubt that all of us have room for how much beer that would be if we were to get first!
dave99ag
AG
I was very tempted to let my almost 2 yr old make my picks since I actually follow college hoops and that's a recipe for disaster.

I will say, root for SFA over tceh tonight. Great coach, whom coached at A&M, and family!
jah003
S
Chipotlemonger said:

25 entries, damn! jah003 I know this is your show, but what about adding a reward for 4th place, or evening out the prizes some for 1-3? Doubt that all of us have room for how much beer that would be if we were to get first!
I'll probably go with 13 boxes for 1st, 6 for 2nd, and 3 for 3rd. That's pretty much half the number of boxes all the way down.
Scriffer
AG
Make it 26. Squeaked in under the deadline.
Wheatables02
AG
Scriffer said:

So 1 for 4th place now??
Scriffer
AG
Wheatables02 said:

Scriffer said:

So 1 for 4th place now??

I support it.
12, 6, 3, 1 seems reasonable, but I'll leave it to the overlord.
Kyle98
AG
dave99ag said:

I was very tempted to let my almost 2 yr old make my picks since I actually follow college hoops and that's a recipe for disaster.

I will say, root for SFA over tceh tonight. Great coach, whom coached at A&M, and family!

One year, as a joke, a group of us threw darts to make our picks and entered those, along with our normal picks, into a 200+ entry pool. My cousin's wife's dart picks took 2nd.
First Page Last Page
Page 1323 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.