Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,672,519 Views | 62636 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by maca1028
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Total wine lakeline has bourbon paradise and run barrel abyss.
AgEng06
AG
I'm gonna have to head over there. Do want Bourbon Paradise.
AggieOO
Looked like 2 cases on the counter.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Are the releases of Prairie stouts still difficult to find around Texas?

Shop I just went into here in Nashville has multiple boxes of each: Vanilla Noir, Bourbon Paradise, Christmas Bomb.

Think I'll grab a Bourbon Paradise, but my home beer stock is pretty set right now.
MathNewman06
AG
Seems like most places in Houston sold out in a day or two, but I just picked up 2 each of bourbon paradise and vanilla noir at whole foods Waugh this afternoon.

Edit: and plenty of Christmas bomb around.
AggieOO
yeah, christmas is essentially a shelf turd in austin. i see it everywhere.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Seems like the production has just been upped? I think there is still demand.
Chipotlemonger
AG

Forgot to post this last night.

This is one hell of an IPA from Other Half out of Brooklyn. Thanks, Matt! Definitely one of my favorite IPAs that I've had.

Coming In Hot. Dry and bitter is how they describe it. It had a very well rounded flavor and was definitely a showpiece in itself.
txag2008
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Dry and bitter is how they describe it.
Looks pretty tasty. Dry And Bitter Brewing Company (Denmark) is who they partnered with for this beer.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Ha, maybe that's what the labeling says and it's not the actual tasting notes.
p-wonk01
AG
At Mikkeller near Miramar in San Diego

Represent830
AG
Catching up to everything lately.

ISO: Sputnik, Black Masses, any of Spindletap's latest stuff, if anyone has these. HMU
Represent830
AG
Also, I thought Bourbon Paradise was extremely hot. No barrel either. Was good, but I thought I was drinking regular paradise. Just finished Nilla Noir and it was fantastic.
MathNewman06
AG
I'm enjoying it too.
Represent830
AG

You could say I had a....

...'nilla noche.
txag2008
AG
Hmmm....free beer for life.

http://abc7.com/business/buffalo-bayou-brewery-offers-investors-free-beer-for-life/2776741/
Hugo Stiglitzz
Interesting, hope it works out for them. Kind of been out of the HOU TX beer scene...Buffalo Bayou get better at making beer? Had their BA Gingerbread Stout a couple years back and it was a drain pour.
Geriatric Punk
AG
p-wonk01 said:

At Mikkeller near Miramar in San Diego

How was it? Taking a group out to do a brewery crawl in that area in March. Mikkeller is on my list for sure.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
MathNewman06
AG
Hugo Stiglitzz said:

Interesting, hope it works out for them. Kind of been out of the HOU TX beer scene...Buffalo Bayou get better at making beer? Had their BA Gingerbread Stout a couple years back and it was a drain pour.

They're just not good. I think they realized that on some level and just went the gimmicky, "creative" route, but I've poured more than a couple of their beers, and I just won't buy them anymore.

If I believed in their product, the nextseed seems like a nice deal, but I just don't.
zephyrtexan
AG
txag2008 said:

Hmmm....free beer for life.

http://abc7.com/business/buffalo-bayou-brewery-offers-investors-free-beer-for-life/2776741/
I was wondering when someone would imitate Lazarus.

It's a really cool idea, but you have to have good beer for it to be worth it.
Jock 07
AG
Yup, never known anyone who actually likes buff bayou stuff.
zephyrtexan
AG
Contrary to that, Lazarus had amazing beer. Some of my absolute favorite.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Geriatric Punk
AG
So, my buddy is getting hitched and we are doing a brewery crawl as part of his stag. What do y'all think about this lineup?

MathNewman06
AG
Gingerbread man is going for round two tonight.
MathNewman06
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

So, my buddy is getting hitched and we are doing a brewery crawl as part of his stag. What do y'all think about this lineup?

I'll let others who are more familiar with the area guide you- but that looks pretty great. I didnt know those were all that close.
drivinwest
AG
That's a good one to visit. Add Societe, Mike Hess and Council to your list as well. Cheers!
Geriatric Punk
AG
I've had Mikkeller, Ale Smith, and been to Ballast before. I don't know much about the others. Anyone been?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG

Brought this one back from Vermont. Probably should have had this a while ago but man it's still good. Super dry but I like it.
p-wonk01
AG
MathNewman06 said:

Geriatric Punk said:

I'll let others who are more familiar with the area guide you- but that looks pretty great. I didnt know those were all that close.

It's a great area for breweries. There are probably 8-10 more in walking distance. They are all a good mix of small to extremely large breweries.

Mikeller is great as expected. They are in the old Ale Smith brewery. I believe it may be a joint thing.

Quote:

That's a good one to visit. Add Societe, Mike Hess and Council to your list as well. Cheers!

Agree with this list. Huge fan of Societe and drop by when I'm in town always. Modern Times in San Diego is very good also.

If you go up north a little ways to Escondido/San Marcos you can go to Stone and Lost Abbey/Port. Wild Barrel is a new place next to Lost Abbey and you can literally throw axes at a wall for $5 next door.

I travel quite a bit for work and it's one of my favorite places to go for beer/food. I'd be happy to give more info if needed.
steve00
AG
Speedway (mostly) tasting with cheese pairings. Good stuff. Much better than the barrel aged El Segundo stouts I tried this weekend.

A few Pliny's after that made it a fine night.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Thank you. Our order is:

Mikkeller
Ale Smith
Mike Hess
Pure Project
Duck Foot
Ballast

I'm glad to hear Mike Hess has some hype. It looks great. I'm trying to keep us in an area where we can walk to each one, so we won't make it to Societe or up to Escondido this trip. A lot of guys complained we aren't going to Stone. I told them they can go to Stone at the airport for hair of the dog on the way out of town.

Cheers, boys.
CDub06
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

Thank you. Our order is:

Mikkeller
Ale Smith
Mike Hess
Pure Project
Duck Foot
Ballast

I'm glad to hear Mike Hess has some hype. It looks great. I'm trying to keep us in an area where we can walk to each one, so we won't make it to Societe or up to Escondido this trip. A lot of guys complained we aren't going to Stone. I told them they can go to Stone at the airport for hair of the dog on the way out of town.

Cheers, boys.

Sounds fun. So much good stuff in San Diego. We actually stayed in that area earlier this year and did a similar itinerary. I was thoroughly blown away by pure project.
Represent830
AG
I'm headed to SD in July. Might have to go to Wild Barrel just to throw some axes.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I saw pwonks Instagram about axe throwing at a brewery a few weeks ago and it piqued my interest. Then just last week I saw on a Houston real estate blog about two places in Houston you can do this. Think of it as top golf for lumberjacks. It's byob so some buddies and I are going to do it next month.
First Page Last Page
Page 1288 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.