Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,677,506 Views | 62651 Replies | Last: 4 min ago by Jock 07
Head Ninja In Charge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I don't know, there isn't much in that glass if you know what I mean.

Not sure what either of you mean, but that bartender has an ass flatter than Hank Hill's.
jetch17
AG
quote:
i still have my bottle in the beer closet.

bleh, ive still got 2
AggieOO
worst part is, Sunrise has a crapload of bottles. didn't even need to "special order."
62strat
AG
HNIC, take a moment to look up the definition of the work 'pun'.
h1ag
AG
Rogue old crustacean barleywine! My motivation for my first big homebrew. It will be ready when I get back from deployment next year. If it is half as good as old crustacean I'll be happy.
Green Fairy
AG
Anyone been to Padre Island Brewing/brewpub? I'm headed to SPI Thurs-Sun, and thought about checking it out for lunch or dinner one day.
jah003
S
quote:
Anyone been to Padre Island Brewing/brewpub? I'm headed to SPI Thurs-Sun, and thought about checking it out for lunch or dinner one day.

Don't go... this place has been going downhill ever since we starting going to Padre about 7-8 years ago. Brews are nothing to write home about, service is iffy at best, and food is not worth the money imo. Not sure if you are looking for other restaurants in and around Padre, but I can certainly recommend some good ones.
EFE
AG
GF- the foods good there, the beer is decent. I've tried everything but the porter and all are drinkable, kinda like a bj's, but independent and on the island.
BSD
AG
quote:

Not sure what either of you mean, but that bartender has an ass flatter than Hank Hill's.

The chick was hot but I didn't want to take a picture of her from the front while she was looking because you know...that's just creepy.
EFE
AG
Oh and Gabriella's will have the best beer selection on the island, and probably one of the better spots to eat as well.
Green Fairy
AG
Thanks for the help. Any recs you have would be appreciated. I'll look into Gabriellas. I just did a quick search for beer and SPI and Padre Island Brewing was the first (and most prevalent) return. We're staying a rental house so I'm not sure how much we'll head out for dinner while there.

I'll be down there with my wife, our 5 month old; my FIL and his new fling that he hooked about a month after his divorce in May, my BIL and his wife, and my SIL and her husband and their 1.5 y/o. They're not opposed to drinking around the house by any means so I'm OK there. However, depending on how things go I may be ready to kill someone by end of day one(or need to begin self medicating with beer/liquor immediately upon arrival).

I should specify....my FIL just got a divorce from his second marriage not from my wife's mother. That would have really been exciting to show up with him and the new fling if he'd just axed it with my wife's mom.

[This message has been edited by Green Fairy (edited 8/20/2012 8:39p).]
jah003
S
quote:
Thanks for the help. Any recs you have would be appreciated. I'll look into Gabriellas. I just did a quick search for beer and SPI and Padre Island Brewing was the first (and most prevalent) return. We're staying a rental house so I'm not sure how much we'll head out for dinner while there.

I'll be down there with my wife, our 5 month old; my FIL and his new fling that he hooked about a month after his divorce in May, my BIL and his wife, and my SIL and her husband and their 1.5 y/o. They're not opposed to drinking around the house by any means so I'm OK there. However, depending on how things go I may be ready to kill someone by end of day one(or need to begin self medicating with beer/liquor immediately upon arrival).

I should specify....my FIL just got a divorce from his second marriage not from my wife's mother. That would have really been exciting to show up with him and the new fling if he'd just axed it with my wife's mom.

[This message has been edited by Green Fairy (edited 8/20/2012 8:39p).]

Ha! Sounds very, well... Interesting.

If u do make it out for dinner I'd highly recommend:

Zestes (a little pricey, but well worth it IMO)
Palm street (just a solid seafood place)
Dirty al's (over on the port Isabel side, but worth the drive)

As far as lunch goes, dirty Al's and palm street are also great options, but I'd also throw out:

Chefs (up and coming Mexican restaurant, but they don't have their liquor license yet)

Oh... And back to the thread at hand... Currently enjoying a Hans Pils on the balcony.
EFE
AG
The palms also has a great breakfast/brunch and decent bloodies, and as far as needing to kill some time when you get there head north to Clayton's for some beach beers and people watching on their giant porch.
62strat
AG
quote:
I've tried everything but the porter and all are drinkable, kinda like a bj's

hey now! BJ's makes great beer. And it shows; they've won yearly GABF medals since 2000.

Course it can vary as each location makes their own.
AggieOO
thought bj's was very "meh."

and from what i read, the one in austin has theirs shipped in from houston. is that not correct? now that i think about it, that wouldn't even be legal since they are a brew pub.
jetch17
AG
I know Saint Arnold does a bulk of the brewing for BJ's around here. Not sure if thats for the Austin market too
jetch17
AG
after looking around, Saint Arnold contract brews for all of the BJ's in Texas.
jetch17
AG
Petrol Station 'Back to School' party this Saturday at noon.... kegs of Stone ruination 10th anniversary, DFH 120, DFH theobrama, DFH burton baton, six point resin, cask dry hopped Weedwacker & more
Two Down
AG
I'd rate BJs above all the big domestic guys but nothing to write home about. Had their recent dIPA (I believe) Hopstorm and was reallllly underwhelmed.
AggieOO
so its not a brewhouse at all.

wasn't impressed before, even less now.
jetch17
AG
they are "BJ's recipies" just not brewed on premesis
AggieOO
i understand that.
jetch17
AG
wanna fight?
AggieOO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGi66AtWxXw
jetch17
62strat
AG
BJS in most other states can brew their own beer, and those locations have their own brew master who must stick to their year round recipes. But two brewers with the same recipe and ingredients will never make the same tasting beer. This is obvious, because if you look at their multiple GABF and other medals, they come from many different locations; but lots from Chandler, AZ and Portland.

Also, from Brock Wagner (Feb. 2011):

BJ's cannot ship beers to themselves in Texas and some other states. They could have a brewpub in every restaurant, but that is not logistically a great business model.

The beers they serve at their restaurants used to be all brewed by us. We also provide the beer for their restaurants in Louisiana, Oklahoma and Florida.

We don't provide all of the beers anymore in Texas. The Red, Blonde and Piranha come from Redhook/Widmer/A-B. We needed some of our production back.

We brew the beers. There is nobody from BJ's that appears here to brew them. Any account can purchase these beers, and occasionally somebody else does.

Cheers!

Brock
BSD
AG
quote:
Petrol Station 'Back to School' party this Saturday at noon.... kegs of Stone ruination 10th anniversary, DFH 120, DFH theobrama, DFH burton baton, six point resin, cask dry hopped Weedwacker & more

This is a good preseason warmup for college football Saturday drinking!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Anyone try Lakewood Brewing out of Garland? Drinking their rye beer right now and it's pretty good. They are all belgian inspired like Adelberts in Austin.

Green Fairy
AG
quote:

Damn, sounds tasty.

I still have a small part of a 64oz growler of Burton Baton and probably half of my 32oz growler of 120min IPA. The 120 is REALLY sweet. I can't handle more than a small Karbach sample glass of it at a time.
army01
AG
One of tonight's beers, along with a long trail and a Fisherman's IPA.

army01
AG
Also had this one this weekend. Had been wanting to try it for a while...

I was a little disappointed
AggieOO
picked up a couple bottles of Ranger Creek Small Batch #2 tonight.

when i finally start drinking again, i can only imagine in the bender i'm going on.
IronRed13
AG
quote:
Drinking a 2011 Rahr Snowmageddon...really think this one ages well. The chocolate and coffee flavors are much more pronounced. Think I'll let the 3 2012s continue to age....

It ages very well. To be honest I thought it was nasty crap my first bottle when it first came out. I was extremely disappointed. I may have had a bad bottle considering it tasted like a dirty sponge. Threw my 2nd bottle (i always buy in pairs) in the fridge and forgot about until last month. MUCH better. I'm considering buying more now and forgetting about them for another year or 2.

Anyone have thoughts on Boulevard Love Child #2? Very good wild ale/sour in my opinion! Does the style age well?
NColoradoAG
Love child was great. I don't see it getting much better. It'll definitely change, though. I imagine it'll devlop some more funk, while the bourbon character may fade. I laid one down as well. Boulevard produces some great beers to age in the smokestack series. BBQ and Sasion Brett being my favorites.
txag2008
AG
quote:
Also had this one this weekend. Had been wanting to try it for a while...

I was a little disappointed

Army01, I have the same in the fridge that I was waiting to try. Why were you disappointed?
First Page Last Page
Page 114 of 1791

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.