why isn't the Corps marching in for the lsu game

5,605 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggieband 83
MarathonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JABQ04 said:

Hey Nav said:

Quote:

I'm old and on the way to getting drunk because I know how the games gonna play out.
Good call, rock star. Hope you didn't miss too much.

Didn't miss a second of it. Thanks for checking up. Overall the nights was a rousing success. Beer, whiskey, food, fire pit going, Ags win. Hell of a night with other Ags in the neighborhood.

One of the few occasions I'm content being wrong

Checking in from Fort Lost in The Woods. It truly is a random post in the middle of the woods.
JABQ04
AG
T&Ps
Hey Nav
AG
If you're an '04, you're a youngster.
BillYeoman
My son is a Fish. I was disappointed they didn't do the march. He said the game was optional. I normally drive up (I live in Houston) to watch them march and drive back if I don't go to the game.

Not to brag on my son but he went to the game in uniform. He took his buddy (West Point freshmen) and his younger brother. They had a great time.

Side note: Is it true that West Point freshmen only do PT once a week?
Tango_Mike
BillYeoman said:

My son is a Fish. I was disappointed they didn't do the march. He said the game was optional. I normally drive up (I live in Houston) to watch them march and drive back if I don't go to the game.

Not to brag on my son but he went to the game in uniform. He took his buddy (West Point freshmen) and his younger brother. They had a great time.

No it's not true. They do organized PT at the squad level three days a week and have boxing/MilMove (basically gymnastics/CrossFit/IOCT) two days a week. Freshmen also have mandatory IOCT two Saturdays a month. The IOCT (Indoor Obstacle Course Test) is medieval
Naveronski
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Outlaw0206 said:

Not to add fuel to the fire, but a cadet just told me a bunch of cadets don't even plan to wear uniforms to the game tonight. Something about no one in Corps leadership putting out what the required uniform is for the game.

March to 3000 is well on its way!

I mean. Sounds about right. Sounds like my disgruntled ETSING E-4 finding every excuse to get out of something.

Having been an E4, I can confirm.
Martin Cash
AG
cavscout96 said:

Warrior 66 said:

Its been a while since I've posted anything here, but I got alerted to the fact that there was concern about the Corps not marching in today, and thought I needed to at least let everyone know why that decision was made.

First, this decision was made before the new Commandant arrived in October, so this is in NO way his issue. He had absolutely no say in this decision at all. This decision was made several years ago, when the A&M - LSU game was moved from Thanksgiving day to the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

As many of us experienced, we always played tu on Thanksgiving day, and the entire Corps was here for the march-in and the game. Even when the game was played in Austin on Thanksgiving, the entire Corps marched in to downtown Austin for the game. It was what we all remembered and experienced during our time in the Corps when we played tu every year. It was tradition.

When we moved to the SEC and no longer played tu, we began playing LSU on Thanksgiving day, and the march-in remained the same for the game when we played at Kyle Field. However, after a few years, LSU no longer wanted to play the game on Thanksgiving day, and wanted the game moved to the Saturday after Thanksgiving. When the game got moved to Saturday instead of Thanksgiving day, we had to make a decision about whether or not we wanted to bring back the entire Corps for a march-in and to attend the game or just make it optional for the cadets to return from their Thanksgiving weekend to attend the game. The Aggie Band would still return for their halftime performance, as always.

As I remember it, after a lot of discussion with cadets and staff, we made the decision to make the LSU game played on the Saturday after Thanksgiving at Kyle Field optional for cadets to attend, with no march in. Cadets who returned to attend the game had to attend in uniform, but we decided not to make it mandatory for all cadets to return for the march in or the game. Its been that way since the game moved to the Saturday after Thanksgiving, which has been a few years now.

So thats the reason why you will not see a march in today. Again, the new Commandant had no say in this decision - it was made several years ago before he even got here. While I know there are many who don't like the decision, you at least know now why it was made - and I can assure you it was NOT an easy decision to make for any of us, but was made with several factors to consider.

this is all 100% accurate.

i don't like it, but the info above is dead on.
No, it isn't. The tu game was not always on Thanksgiving. My zip year in '74 it was on Friday. After that it was rarely on Thanksgiving, usually on Friday or Saturday. My recollection is we've only played LSU on Thanksgiving twice, in 2014 and 2016. Being a BQ, I don't know when it whether those games were mandatory for the Corps or not. We were always there. This is inexcusable.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
MarathonAg12
BillYeoman said:

Absolutely false. And freshman and sophomores are required to join some type of club sport their first two years.
ABATTBQ87
AG
1984 we played TCU on the Saturday after Thanksgiving and tu on Saturday December 1st
BillYeoman
Tango_Mike said:

BillYeoman said:

No it's not true. They do organized PT at the squad level three days a week and have boxing/MilMove (basically gymnastics/CrossFit/IOCT) two days a week. Freshmen also have mandatory IOCT two Saturdays a month. The IOCT (Indoor Obstacle Course Test) is medieval

Thank you for clarifying
TXAggieMom11
This is simply not correct.
"When the game got moved to Saturday instead of Thanksgiving day, we had to make a decision about whether or not we wanted to bring back the entire Corps for a march-in and to attend the game or just make it optional for the cadets to return from their Thanksgiving weekend to attend the game."

My class of '19 CT had to return for the two home games on Saturday during his four years. He said the pain of standing in boots through 7 over times was worth it.
cavscout96
AG
Martin Cash said:

cavscout96 said:

Warrior 66 said:

Its been a while since I've posted anything here, but I got alerted to the fact that there was concern about the Corps not marching in today, and thought I needed to at least let everyone know why that decision was made.

First, this decision was made before the new Commandant arrived in October, so this is in NO way his issue. He had absolutely no say in this decision at all. This decision was made several years ago, when the A&M - LSU game was moved from Thanksgiving day to the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

As many of us experienced, we always played tu on Thanksgiving day, and the entire Corps was here for the march-in and the game. Even when the game was played in Austin on Thanksgiving, the entire Corps marched in to downtown Austin for the game. It was what we all remembered and experienced during our time in the Corps when we played tu every year. It was tradition.

When we moved to the SEC and no longer played tu, we began playing LSU on Thanksgiving day, and the march-in remained the same for the game when we played at Kyle Field. However, after a few years, LSU no longer wanted to play the game on Thanksgiving day, and wanted the game moved to the Saturday after Thanksgiving. When the game got moved to Saturday instead of Thanksgiving day, we had to make a decision about whether or not we wanted to bring back the entire Corps for a march-in and to attend the game or just make it optional for the cadets to return from their Thanksgiving weekend to attend the game. The Aggie Band would still return for their halftime performance, as always.

As I remember it, after a lot of discussion with cadets and staff, we made the decision to make the LSU game played on the Saturday after Thanksgiving at Kyle Field optional for cadets to attend, with no march in. Cadets who returned to attend the game had to attend in uniform, but we decided not to make it mandatory for all cadets to return for the march in or the game. Its been that way since the game moved to the Saturday after Thanksgiving, which has been a few years now.

So thats the reason why you will not see a march in today. Again, the new Commandant had no say in this decision - it was made several years ago before he even got here. While I know there are many who don't like the decision, you at least know now why it was made - and I can assure you it was NOT an easy decision to make for any of us, but was made with several factors to consider.

this is all 100% accurate.

i don't like it, but the info above is dead on.
No, it isn't. The tu game was not always on Thanksgiving. My zip year in '74 it was on Friday. After that it was rarely on Thanksgiving, usually on Friday or Saturday. My recollection is we've only played LSU on Thanksgiving twice, in 2014 and 2016. Being a BQ, I don't know when it whether those games were mandatory for the Corps or not. We were always there. This is inexcusable.

Ok, "always" vs "tradiionally." You're right it's not ALWAYS. In 94 we played them on a Saturday because we were banned from TV due to NCAA sanctions. We also built Bonfire twice that year.

The background on why it was made optional a few years ago is, however, accurate
HollywoodBQ
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

1984 we played TCU on the Saturday after Thanksgiving and tu on Saturday December 1st
Whoa. So y'all burned Bonfire after Thanksgiving?

That's wild to think about.
ABATTBQ87
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

yep, Thursday November 29th (2 days before the game in Austin )

Naveronski
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

It'll burn in January this year.
Serotonin
AG
IIRC we had required march-ins when I was a CT in Austin and Waco. The Austin march-in would take place on Friday morning and then the game was later that morning or the afternoon.

As others have noted, Saturday night games seem far less burdensome than Thu or Fri games of the past. You're coming back on Sunday anyway, so just come back a little earlier and go booze it up with your buddies at the Chicken after the game.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Serotonin said:

IIRC we had required march-ins when I was a CT in Austin and Waco. The Austin march-in would take place on Friday morning and then the game was later that morning or the afternoon.

As others have noted, Saturday night games seem far less burdensome than Thu or Fri games of the past. You're coming back on Sunday anyway, so just come back a little earlier and go booze it up with your buddies at the Chicken after the game.

Our Corps trips were to Dallas and Austin in even years (84 & 86), Ft Worth and Houston in odd years (83 & 85)
Prince_Ahmed
Naveronski said:

HollywoodBQ said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

The last bonfire burned in 98. This current thing doesn't mean crap.
Naveronski
AG
Prince_Ahmed said:

Naveronski said:

HollywoodBQ said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

The last bonfire burned in 98. This current thing doesn't mean crap.

Maybe not to a boomer on TexAgs, but it means plenty to the current students who build it.
Hey Nav
AG
I'm a boomer, and it means a lot to me. I very much admire the current students that have to overcome many obstacles to make it happen.
F4GIB71
Do they even do spirit signs today? I remember either someone in the outfit had artistic talent, like K-1 in the photo, or if no one had talent, be as gross as one can imagine. My fish year in 1967 prior to the Cotton Bowl against Alabama, one outfit hung a sign that said, "Stop the Crimson Tide!" Unfortunately, I cannot describe the rest of the sign, or I might get banned.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
This decision makes zero sense and the logic is flawed. We had mandatory march-in for home and away games with tu. The game was the day after Thanksgiving. No issues with cadets getting back for the game.
The game was after Thanksgiving for many years with no issue.
aggiejim70
AG
F4GIB71 said:

Do they even do spirit signs today? I remember either someone in the outfit had artistic talent, like K-1 in the photo, or if no one had talent, be as gross as one can imagine. My fish year in 1967 prior to the Cotton Bowl against Alabama, one outfit hung a sign that said, "Stop the Crimson Tide!" Unfortunately, I cannot describe the rest of the sign, or I might get banned.
I remember that one. Man's right, he'd get banned 'til a week after doomsday for writing that out. Same thing applies to any signs pertaining to a school with a feline mascot. Over the years there were numerous disparaging remarks about LSU. Many started out "Big tigers are tough but a little......" I'll leave the rest to your imagination. Thank the Lord there was no internet in the sixties.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
BoerneGator
AG
Wasn't H-2 the day duck outfit? H-1 was the jock outfit, as I recall…
ABATTBQ87
AG
BoerneGator said:

E-1 Jocks
BoerneGator
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

BoerneGator said:

E-1 Jocks

Was talkin bout real jocks; you know, football, basketball, baseball players...
Not quite the same...
ABATTBQ87
AG
BoerneGator said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

BoerneGator said:

E-1 Jocks

Was talkin bout real jocks; you know, football, basketball, baseball players...
Not quite the same...

When I was in school there were athletes in E 1

And if your talking real jocks then you must be referring to the men of the Armor outfits of the 50s
BoerneGator
AG
Well, I predate you a coupla decades. Was a fish in '67, and the jock outfits were H-1 and Sqd 14, and were comprised exclusively of athletes. This was during the Viet Nam era, and only a few years (4) from the time when the Corps was compulsory for the first two years.

H-2 and Sqd 13 were the day duck (married student) outfits. But that was 55 years ago, and memories fade…
F4GIB71
I concur.

You going to make the lunch next week?
BoerneGator
AG
Plan to!
aggieband 83
AG
I understand y'all say March In was cancelled but going to the game was optional. Why couldn't March In be optional as well? If there aren't enough cadets to march by outfit, have a Brigade, Wing, and Regiment march in as 3 seperate groups. At least the seniors could march in one final time for a big game. Heck for that matter could have had a senior march in. It sucks for the seniors.
Aggie Band not the easiest but the Best.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.