New name for Fort Hood

6,333 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dawg6
Trinity Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
clarythedrill said:

74OA said:

Lobster Twins said:

Why don't we just not name any of them after any men since one flaw will eventually get you canceled?
Betraying their country and leading an armed insurrection that cost over 1.5M casualties isn't just "one flaw".
Isnt that the same thing that most of these peoples fathers or grandfathers did with the British? We went against the Brits when at the time we had been british citizens for hundreds of years. It is sort of hard to be so loyal to a country that had only existed for a couple dozen years when the civil war started.

As for this guy that Hood is being renamed after, he is only getting it because he is a mexican, and really did nothing other than follow his career path to reach his rank. At least Roy P. Benavidez, who it should be renamed for, fought and was awarded the MOH. He is much more deserving than this 4 star.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion but this one is pretty far off the mark.

Cavazos was awarded a DSC and a Silver Star for combat actions in Korea, and a second DSC in Viet Nam as a battalion commander. He also had a BSM-V and a Purple Heart.

If you think Cavazos received any preferential treatment in awards or promotions for being hispanic in the Korea and Viet Nam eras you are misrepresenting history.

Beyond his war record, as a GO he was the leading proponent for creating the NTC -- and the system of combat training that has made us the most tactically capable military in the world.

He was still around when I was a youngster, and the leaders I knew spoke about him reverently.

To imply he was a paper pusher who just rose through the ranks is patently false.

I can understand not wanting to rename bases that have been around for decades -- and even the concern that the military is highlighting division rather than unity in some of its policies.

But Cavazos was a native Texan (John Bell Hood wasn't), a warfighter with an incredibly distinguished record of leadership and personal courage in combat in two wars, and a major change agent that fundamentally improved the Army during his time as a Senior leader.

Sure -- the committee considered candidates from different ethnic groups. But claiming the only reason he was picked is because he is hispanic is wrong and insulting.

Just my $.02.

Trinity Ag
S
Smeghead4761 said:

And Audie Murphy earned the Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, 2 Silver Stars, 2 Bronze Stars (1 with V device), and 3 Purple Hearts.

This is true, and if the Army named a post after him I would support it.

He also left the active Army as a 1LT, and played no role in improving it as an institution the way Cavazos did.

He joined the Guard later, and was part of the 36th ID -- maybe rename Camp Swift or Mabry after him.
Jim Benson 63
AG
74OA said:

Lobster Twins said:

Why don't we just not name any of them after any men since one flaw will eventually get you canceled?
Betraying their country and leading an armed insurrection that cost over 1.5M casualties isn't just "one flaw".

Prior to the War of Northern Aggression, people identified with their state much more than with the US. So.they did not "betray their country."

I believe that the WNA did not cost 1.5 million casualties, it cost approximately 600,000, which is still more than all our other wars combined, unless recent conflicts have caused us to go over the 600,000.
"You don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing."

"Wars don't determine who is right, they only determine who is left."
Warrior 66
Trinity Ag has it exactly right about General Cavazos.

I served with Cavazos as a junior officer in III Corps, and we ALL respected him - enlisted and officer alike - for his record as a combat leader in Korea and Vietnam, and for his leadership at a time of serious transition for our Army after Vietnam. He was a leader by example in everything he did, and he loved soldiers and instilled in them a strong desire to serve and be the absolute best that they could be.

He was a catalyst for major change in the Army post-Vietnam, and was a leader in shaping the future of Air Land Battle - the doctrine the Army would follow for the next 3 decades. His training concepts for the Army helped lead to the development of our world-renowned training centers, including the NTC, JRTC, CMTC in Germany, and BCTP for Divisions and Corps - the very training centers that have been honing the combat effectiveness of our combat formations and leaders for decades now.

He also became a Senior Mentor for senior Army officers after he retired, coaching and mentoring our future Army leaders as they conducted combat exercises designed to test their decision making abilities under simulated combat conditions - exercises that would prove extremely effective for our Army leaders in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I have no dog in the fight wrt renaming Army posts now, but ANYTHING named for General Cavazos is well earned and well deserved. He was truly one of our Army's very best combat leaders, and virtually anyone who served with him will vouch for that fact.
CT'97
AG
Jim Benson 63 said:

74OA said:

Lobster Twins said:

Prior to the War of Northern Aggression, people identified with their state much more than with the US. So.they did not "betray their country."

I believe that the WNA did not cost 1.5 million casualties, it cost approximately 600,000, which is still more than all our other wars combined, unless recent conflicts have caused us to go over the 600,000.

You are wrong and don't seem to understand what you are talking about. Casualties includes both dead, wounded and missing.
I never understood why someone would refer to the civil war as the war of northern agression when the south fired the first shots.
dead
AG
Lost Cause copium
Dawg6
AG
Concur with all of this.
His is an amazing story, all siblings were studs as well. To say it was because he was Hispanic is factually incorrect.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.