Treatment on A&M campus of those who returned home from Vietnam

3,625 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rugger74
Paul Dirac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm lecturing on PTSD and have read that Tet Offensive to 1973 was harder in the sense that sentiment at home changed.
Book mentions harrassment on college campuses towards Vietnam vets but I'm almost positive that didn't happen at A&M. Was the greeting on campus one of appreciation?
F4GIB71
A&M was probably an anomaly compared to most colleges. I don't recall any issues in my years from 67 to 71. I do recall there was an anti war demonstration on the drill field in 1970 in response to the Cambodian "excursion". They told us in the Corps, if we went to not wear our uniforms. There was a claim in the press that 2000 showed up at the bastion of conservatism. There were probably 1000 short haired CTs in civilian clothes, probably about 1000 Ag major cowboys, and a handful of people who were really demonstrating against the war. Enrollment was 14,000 in 1970.

In contrast, I had a good friend at t.u. who was their AF ROTC Corps commander, class of 72. He said they couldn't wear their uniforms to class on days where they had Air Science classes.
OldArmyCT
AG
I was a fish in 1966-67. I didn't study much and spent the next 3 1/2 years in the Army as a chopper pilot, including a year in Vietnam. I came back to A&M in 1971 and got back in the Corps. I never encountered any anti-Vietnam rhetoric in class from students or professors, I was a Poli Sci major and the subject came up a lot. But I did get in more than a few anti-war, period, discussions in a few classes. You know, the one guy who thinks we should have invaded Japan and not dropped the bomb. Had a summer class taught by a visiting female prof from U of Illinois who kept baiting us about our campus conservatism. One day she asked where all the hippies were at A&M and what did we call them. A guy in the back raised his hand, spit in his coke can and said "Ma'am, here in College Station people with long hair are named Brave." I knew I was in the right place.
Animal
AG
I knew a guy who was a professor at A&M during that timeframe.
He used to tell the story that several faculty members planned a war protest on campus.
Apparently, General Rudder got word of it and called a meeting to discuss it.
As I recall, he said it went something like this:

General Rudder: I understand that you want to protest this war and it is your right as an American to do so, but you're going to have to whip my ass first.

Apparently there were no takers.
Paul Dirac
I didn't realize that Rudder was President until as late as 1970.
OldArmyCT
AG
A&M had more than a few Vietnam vets on campus, one cadet in the Corps wore a Silver Star. This guy was a Bull in the Military Science department: https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/4776
aggiejim70
AG
Paul Dirac said:

I didn't realize that Rudder was President until as late as 1970.

He passed away in the spring of 1970. I attended his funeral. LBJ was there with his hair grown out. I swear he was trying to look like Sam Houston.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
TexasAggie73
AG
OldArmyCT said:

I was a fish in 1966-67. I didn't study much and spent the next 3 1/2 years in the Army as a chopper pilot, including a year in Vietnam. I came back to A&M in 1971 and got back in the Corps. I never encountered any anti-Vietnam rhetoric in class from students or professors, I was a Poli Sci major and the subject came up a lot. But I did get in more than a few anti-war, period, discussions in a few classes. You know, the one guy who thinks we should have invaded Japan and not dropped the bomb. Had a summer class taught by a visiting female prof from U of Illinois who kept baiting us about our campus conservatism. One day she asked where all the hippies were at A&M and what did we call them. A guy in the back raised his hand, spit in his coke can and said "Ma'am, here in College Station people with long hair are named Brave." I knew I was in the right place.

I had a friend my freshman year 69-70 with long hair and one night he got caught by some cowboys and they butchered his haircut.

I also remember a story from that time where the corps marched to the presidents home for a protest to support the war.
Aggie63
AG
After returning home from Vietnam, I was discouraged by the protest, the campus rebellions and destruction of rule and authority across the campuses of America.I do recall, I think I have it right, that there was a gathering (demonstration) of Aggies that met on the lawn of the President 's (Rudder?) home and the story made the news because it was a gathering of Aggie's supporting the administration!
I wasn't on Campus but I felt proud when I read about it.
rwtxag83
AG
The greeting was definitely one of appreciation. The Corps was still mandatory for two years at the time, so everybody, and I mean everybody had a bunch friends and tight buddies who were serving. Aggies then, before then, and all the way til now embraced the service. I was not there at the time but had many friends with older brothers who were in the Corps at the time. No semblance of any negativity whatsoever. Just appreciation for serving, admiration for being selfless, and many cadets who were actually looking forward to being able to do their part.

A lot of folks who were glad you were just back home in Texas.

My Dad was an Air Force officer ( Army Air Corps in WWII) who went to Vietnam more than once. It was still common to see service members hitch hiking at the time. My Dad would NEVER pass somebody in uniform without stopping for them. One time driving through Arkansas on Christmas Eve, we drove a soldier 60 miles off the main highway (way out of our way) just so he could be home for Christmas. I will never forget that. I tend to think there's lots of Aggies and Aggie families who felt the same way, and still do.
Greater love hath no man than this....
aggiejim70
AG
Aggie63 said:

After returning home from Vietnam, I was discouraged by the protest, the campus rebellions and destruction of rule and authority across the campuses of America.I do recall, I think I have it right, that there was a gathering (demonstration) of Aggies that met on the lawn of the President 's (Rudder?) home and the story made the news because it was a gathering of Aggie's supporting the administration!
I wasn't on Campus but I felt proud when I read about it.
The only "demonstration" at the General's house that I remember had nothing to do with Viet-Nam, but old nasty money. That was in the spring of '67 and looking back it could have gotten real ugly real fast. Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed. It seems that with the transition to non-compulsory Corps, something got overlooked.

Back in the day, when the vast majority lived on campus, you had to buy a 5- or 7-day meal pass. That was great for the Corps, as we marched to chow 3 times a day. Not so much for the non-regs. They wanted a change and a large group "marched" to the General's house to demand said change.

When they pass the Quad, the Corps falls out expecting a riot. As stated, that didn't happen. In the mists of time, I've forgotten how, as a fish, I worked my way up to the front. Probably did some remedial physical training in the drum room that night.

Anyway, General and Mrs. Rudder come to door to address the crowd. He listened very politely as grievances were presented. Nobody called the cops, or the National Guard. After listening for several minutes, the General says to the crowd you have point. Then says, I want to see you, the young lady in the third row and the fellow in the cowboy hat in my office Monday at 9:00 and let's get this worked out. And that's what they did they did.

As always, after 55 years, I'm open for additions, deletions and corrections.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Paul Dirac
My father was in Galveston High ROTC in '44. His mother gave him bus money for some event in San Antonio. He ate rattlesnake in SA. He pocketed the money and he & a buddy hitchhiked there. He was in his ROTC uniform and said it was common for uniformed men to easily get rides. He forged his mother's signature at 17 to get into the army. He left for training and Japan when he turned 18. I still have a Japanese rifle and samurai sword he brought back.
The day of my 18th birthday he took me on a surprise visit to register for the armed services at the post office. I wasn't against it of course just surprised and it was a ritual into manhood and I felt proud.
chick79
AG
My brother was in the Corps, class of 73. I remember one final review (probably 1972) where some non-regs in a convertible drove by and were yelling some anti-war crap at the crowd by the drill field.
OldArmyCT
AG
chick79 said:

My brother was in the Corps, class of 73. I remember one final review (probably 1972) where some non-regs in a convertible drove by and were yelling some anti-war crap at the crowd by the drill field.
I was c/o '73, non-regs were always yelling at us CT's, didn't care.They still do, still don't care. 1973 was the year the POW's came home, we had one for the on-campus Muster.
rugger74
AG
Non-regs have always given cts the fits and the bull was always returned. No protests i can remember. I was one of the long haired hippies and kickers liked to talk trash until they realized the hair covered up my red neck and took no ....lots of longer hair by 1974.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.