Graduation/ Commissioning gift ideas

1,453 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jack Ruby
MPD280
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our son will graduate and commission into the Army in May. Looking for gift ideas for him.
He learned he got FA at Branch Night if that is helpful.
Thank you in advance!
JABQ04
AG
Ear Plugs
bigplay
Buy him some personalized stationary with his name and rank and tell him to write home often.
Trench55
AG
Totally irrelevant, but when I graduated my folks bought me a new car - a 1965 Corvair. Total cost $1,750.
74OA
AG
Gold 0-1 bars?

Silver branch insignia?
bigtruckguy3500
A couple threads exist on the topic. Here's one, but I think there was a bigger one at some point:
https://texags.com/forums/63/topics/2608930

Buy something completely unrelated to the military that is just nice. Or buy something that he'll use for a long time in the military. Personally, buying Gold O-1 bars wouldn't be my go to as he'll wear it for 2 years, could get lost quite easily, but would be useful as an investment considering gold prices.

If there's a nice uniform item that's option, and too expensive for him to buy, then maybe splurge for that. Or perhaps help him upgrade to the company that makes the nicer version of the uniform.

A nice watch that he can wear in uniform with the date of his commissioning and "from mom/dad" engraved on the back would also be nice.
Jack Ruby
If you want to get him something useful, get him a battle board. A lot of people usually make one themselves at home, but if you're willing to spend the money, these things are great and of high quality. I just looked them up- The FIST 4.0 board is made particularly for artillery guys (especially fire support officers which he absolutely will be one one day).

Again, a bit pricey, but FSOs in my experience live and die with how well and prepared they keep their maps, charts, etc in order.

Coming from a fellow FA officer who completed LT training at Sill about 10 years ago.

https://battleboard.us/collections/military
MPD280
Bunch of really great ideas; thanks everyone!
I'm leaning towards a watch and the battle board. Any recommendations on size/combinations for the FIST?
He's wearing an Ironman now, and I'll probably find a nice G-Shock to upgrade him to.
Jack Ruby
I'd lean toward the expedition. The top end model seems to be a bit much. Definitely get it in MultiCam coloring as this matches our camo uniform.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.