Fish Drill Team

6,725 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Troy91
PermianAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What rifles do they use??
CanyonAg77
AG
I always thought they use de-milled 1903 Springfields. An actual drill d will be by shortly to tell you
PermianAg
AG
Father in law was on a drill team with UTA back in the 70's.... claimed they beat the FDT one year... anyhow he was saying they used to use M1's which are heavier and make more noise. He asked me what the FDT use now a days and i have no clue. I was in the Corps in the mid 90's but wasn't on the FDT so have no clue.
CanyonAg77
AG

M1 Garand, not bolt action, repeating rifle, weighs 9.5 to 11.6 pounds

1903 Springfield, weighs 8.7 pounds (not significantly different), bolt action

Looks more like the Springfield to me

CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

claimed they beat the FDT one year
Certainly possible. The FDT was very good, but not infallible. I recall that whatever national competition they went to, they won almost every year.

The difference, obviously, is that most drill teams were four year teams. The fish were beating teams with members with 2-4 years experience.
Naveronski
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I always thought they use de-milled 1903 Springfields. An actual drill d will be by shortly to tell you
Correct
74OA
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Certainly possible. The FDT was very good, but not infallible. I recall that whatever national competition they went to, they won almost every year.

The difference, obviously, is that most drill teams were four year teams. The fish were beating teams with members with 2-4 years experience.
…….and those other teams also mostly use custom-made drill rifles which are lightweight and finely balanced.

P.S. Care to guess who they really are in this scene? Hint: The USMC Silent Drill Team uses Garands. A Few Good Men
JABQ04
AG
NM. Misread
badbilly
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

M1 Garand, not bolt action, repeating rifle, weighs 9.5 to 11.6 pounds

1903 Springfield, weighs 8.7 pounds (not significantly different), bolt action

Looks more like the Springfield to me

It's the Springfield 1903 A3.
FDT '87
FDT2000
AG
Yeah, it's a Springfield 1903A3
Rabid Cougar
AG
There is always the Good Humor guys too...

CanyonAg77
AG
I always called them Harveys, after the Pooka in the Jimmy Stewart movie. Six foot tall, white, invisible (to black belts) and R-V = Har-vey

bigtruckguy3500
Can confirm, 1903s. However I spoke with many old ags on the drill team from decades ago. Not sure what year they made the switch, but they started with Garands in the 40s and 50s. I've seen pics of the early teams, as late as mid50s with Garands. I'm pretty sure members from the 67 team told me they used 1903s, with bayonettes that year (only year they competed with bayonettes.

Typically FDT was good, but fall through winter competitions were not always guaranteed. The spring competitions were where they were expected to win.
CanyonAg77
AG
FDT, supposedly in 1949, apparently with Garands

FDT, also supposedly in 1949, with Springfields?

RVs 1961, Garands

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cushinglibrary/albums/72157624318752113/with/4575260143/
Rabid Cougar
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

FDT, supposedly in 1949, apparently with Garands

FDT, also supposedly in 1949, with Springfields?

RVs 1961, Garands

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cushinglibrary/albums/72157624318752113/with/4575260143/

They currently use M-14's on their firing squad.
CanyonAg77
AG
In looking for the photos above, it appears cadets used a bunch of different rifles through the years. Would be fascinating to see a history of what arms were on campus and when
Rabid Cougar
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

In looking for the photos above, it appears cadets used a bunch of different rifles through the years. Would be fascinating to see a history of what arms were on campus and when
Used M-14s in FTXs '82-'86. Very restrictive with ammo. Advisors traded cases of beer to National Guard for 7.62 blanks during an exercise one time.
FDTFTAB24
AG
Howdy! I am a current sophomore advisor on the team. We use the 1903 Springfields, and I'm sure it's been that way for quite a while but I'm not sure when they made the switch.
ABATTBQ87
AG
FDTFTAB24 said:

Howdy! I am a current sophomore advisor on the team. We use the 1903 Springfields, and I'm sure it's been that way for quite a while but I'm not sure when they made the switch.

Looks like you need to spend more time on campusology
badbilly
AG
FDTFTAB24 said:

I thought you were called hounds…
rilloaggie
AG
I was class of '09 and the trigon frowned on the term Hound then. We had to make sure and call ourselves advisors when they were around.
Naveronski
AG
Did you stay on for junior or senior year?
rilloaggie
AG
No sir, just sophomore year.
Naveronski
Texarkanaag69
AG
74OA said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

…….and those other teams also mostly use custom-made drill rifles which are lightweight and finely balanced.

P.S. Care to guess who they really are in this scene? Hint: The USMC Silent Drill Team uses Garands. A Few Good Men
In AFGM those ain't Garands.
CanyonAg77
AG
Texarkanaag69 said:

74OA said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

In AFGM those ain't Garands.
Which is his point. They are 03s, since those are the FDT, not Marines

At least that's how I interpret it
APHIS AG
PermianAg said:

Father in law was on a drill team with UTA back in the 70's.... claimed they beat the FDT one year... anyhow he was saying they used to use M1's which are heavier and make more noise. He asked me what the FDT use now a days and i have no clue. I was in the Corps in the mid 90's but wasn't on the FDT so have no clue.
They did beat A&M one year, I do not remember the year, but the UTA team had been together for about four years.
FDTFTAB24
AG
Yes we're definitely still called hounds. The way it works now is you become a hound on the day of the informational practice. We make sure not to say it in front of any CTOs because of the name's obvious history.
PermianAg
AG
How disciplined / challenging is the FDT these days? Are they still highly respected - not only in drill but in discipline and adversity?
FDTFTAB24
AG
I would say it's not as challenging as it used to be in the 80's and 90's simply because hounds can't torture the freshmen quite like they used to. However, I still did plenty of PT as a fish and sometimes still as a hound. Discipline, military bearing, and excellent drill are what the team has always been known for and it's what we train the fish to achieve today. FDT is the most challenging and most rewarding thing I've done in my Corps career so far.
jimgunn101
AG
in 59' it was the M-1
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
The '25 FDT competed at the Tulane drill meet today. At the end of the competition, FDT was in a tie for first place overall. The tiebreaker is results of Platoon Inspection block. The FDT Inspection block was the top finisher in that category and therefore FDT was declared the overall champion.

My son was '24 FDT Exhibition Block. They never got to compete at Tulane thanks to COVID. He is a Hound, sophomore advisor, this year for the Inspection Block, whose performance ended up being the difference in the tiebreaker. They are all thrilled and have done an amazing job representing TAMU, the Corps, current and former students with dignity and honor.

These young men and women worked extremely hard, going above and beyond what the Corps expects of cadets. They represent some of the best the Corps and the University has to offer. I have had the pleasure of getting to know some of the '24 FDT members and they are some of the finest young people I have met. Good students, great cadets and Aggies, and even better people. They give me hope for the future.

Here they are this afternoon after the awards ceremony:

The '25 Fish earned ZPs for their performance and were obviously allowed to break their "military bearing" … this is what really happy and proud young Aggies look and sound like:

If you go to the AFFDTM Facebook page and look under videos you can see all the performances. Just do a Facebook search for AFFDTM and you can find it.

If you don't do Facebook here are the links:

https://www.facebook.com/AFFDTM/videos/1357512538054701/?vh=e&extid=0

https://www.facebook.com/AFFDTM/videos/360631126067741/?vh=e&extid=0

https://www.facebook.com/AFFDTM/videos/327450276104602/?vh=e&extid=0

https://www.facebook.com/AFFDTM/videos/491194569388855/?vh=e&extid=0

https://www.facebook.com/AFFDTM/videos/611466420286039/?vh=e&extid=0
OldArmy71
AG
Great job! The daughter of one of my former students is on the team. Excellent!
Cobra39
Awesome.

Cobra39
OldArmy71
AG
Someone explain to me the distinction among the three groups (midnights, white sweatshirts, maroon polos).
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.