Hazelwood Act

6,121 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by cavscout96
MarathonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is this funding for college just for people who enlisted in the Army in Texas? Or can Officers utilize the Hazelwood Act as well?

Example: I commissioned out of A&M via ROTC and 4-Year Army Scholarship.

I am following up with Veteran Services at my future grad school as well.
Retusaf94
The Texas Veterans Commission web site gives all the requirements for the Hazelwood Act.
Hey Nav
AG
Officers are eligible also - 150 hours of tuition.

Also, it's an unfunded mandate to the state schools (the schools just love that).
F4GIB71
If I recall correctly, one former A&M president lamented the unfunded mandate of Hazlewood Act but was silent on illegal aliens getting in state tuition.
CharlieBrown17
AG
God Bless the Hazelwood act. Wife got an undergrad and masters at A&M through it
Hey Nav
AG
Yes, i seem to remember that.

It seems that things have changed, but it used to be that dependent children could take over those 150 hours (not spouses , though) . Now the rules, as I read them, say children can only use the hours for Vets that are 100% disabled.

My youngest daughter finished grad school in Aggieland about 5 minutes after Hazelwood went into affect. I never used the benefit. Oh well. Such is life.
BaitShack
AG
I've got a kid starting her Senior year on my Hazlelwood. She will have used half of it. Kid #2 will use the other half. I have no disability.
Hey Nav
AG
Thanks. I'm confused, reading the state website.

https://www.tvc.texas.gov/education/hazlewood-act/hazlewood-faqs/

Quote:

• Children and spouses of service members who are killed in the line of duty, are missing in action, or who die as a result of injury or illness directly related to military service are eligible for Hazlewood Act benefits providing the child was a dependent of the Texas service member at the time he/she died and the spouse and the service member were married. The student will need to provide official military documentation indicating he/she meets the requirement.
  • Children and spouses of Texas Veterans who are totally and permanently disabled or individually unemployable as a result of a service connected injury are also eligible for this benefit. The student will need to provide official documentation from the Department of Veterans Affairs indicating that the Veteran has a total and permanent disability rating or is individually unemployable.

hillcountryag86
AG
Used for all three kids at A&M.
Aggie118
AG
Would I be able to use it after 3 years as an active duty officer?
F4GIB71
I didn't realized Hazlewood had changed. I was able to use for our son. I have a VA service connected disability but not 100%. Guess it is more important to give benefits to illegal aliens than children of veterans.

FWIW, it's Hazlewood, not Hazelwood.
americanaggie
AG
We are hoping to be able to use it for our middle daughter once my husband retires from AD. The way I understand it is my children would qualify as "Legacies" but service member's military service must be complete and they must also reside in the state of Texas at the time the benefit is being used. Also the Legacy child must have already used any allotted Post 9-11 benefits in their name. Charlotte at the Veterans Affairs office is very helpful answering questions.
bigtruckguy3500
F4GIB71 said:

If I recall correctly, one former A&M president lamented the unfunded mandate of Hazlewood Act but was silent on illegal aliens getting in state tuition.

Kind of very different issues.

Fly Army 97
To summarize -
1 - Need to live in TX
2 - Need to be done with military service
3 - Must use GI bill first
3 - May not be able to pass to children per the website but looks like some have recently. Maybe something to follow up on?

Did I get that right ... thanks for all the info.
CT'97
AG
F4GIB71 said:

Two different A&M Presidents, Bowin Loften and all the other major university presidents at the time, argued against the unfunded mandate. It was Micheal Young who was supportive of illegal immigrants receiving in state tuition.
Texas A&M - 144 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress.
CT'97
AG
Fly Army 97 said:

To summarize -
1 - Need to live in TX
3 - May not be able to pass to children per the website but looks like some have recently. Maybe something to follow up on?

You can pass it on to your dependents through the LEGACY act but only the original 150 hours. They can be split between multiple children but only one child can use the benefit at a time.

The dependents of KIA/MIA or 100% disabled on unemployable veterans each receive the 150 hour benefit themselves. It's worded weirdly because the two benefits came to be under different legislation.
F4GIB71
My point was that Loftin complained about Hazlewood being an unfunded mandate but was silent on in-state tuition for illegal aliens, which they were getting at the time. How is that not an unfunded mandate as well?
Fly Army 97
CT97 Thanks. I'm no expert on my GI Bill, so I need to do some reading. Sounds like I'd need to use it all up first...which is a challenge? I'd basically end up using all the GI Bill on kid #1 and HA on kid #2? Is there a rule of thumb here before I do any actual research?

"Have no federal Veteran's education benefits, or have no federal Veterans education benefits dedicated to the payment of tuition and fees only (such as Chapter 33 or 31; for term or semester enrolled that do not exceed the value of Hazlewood benefits"

A Child (Legacy Act) must:
  • Be classified by the institution as a Texas resident; (40 TAC 461.70)
  • Be the biological child, stepchild, adopted child, or claimed as a dependent in the current or previous tax year;
  • Be 25 years old or younger on the first day of the semester or term for which the exemption is claimed (unless granted an extension due to a qualifying illness or debilitating condition); and
  • Have no federal Veteran's education benefits, or have no federal Veterans education benefits dedicated to the payment of tuition and fees only (such as Chapter 33 or 31; for term or semester enrolled that do not exceed the value of Hazlewood benefits; (40 TAC 461.70) & (40 TAC 461.90)
  • Not be in default on a student loan made or guaranteed by the State of Texas;
  • Enroll in classes for which the college receives tax support (i.e., a course that does not depend solely on student tuition and fees to cover its cost), unless the college's governing board has ruled to let Veterans receive the benefit while taking non-funded courses; and
  • Meet the GPA requirement of the institution's satisfactory academic progress policy in a degree or certificate program as determined by the institution's financial aid policy and, as an undergraduate student, not be considered to have attempted an excessive amount of credit hours.
Legacy recipients will receive an exemption for the number of degree certified hours reported by the institution for that term or semester. Maximum degree certified hours awarded to the Legacy recipient will be dependent upon the degree or certificate program in which the student is enrolled for that term or semester and shall be consistent with the program length as defined within the school catalog as approved by the regional accreditation commission. (40 TAC 461.30)
*If a child to whom hours have been delegated fails to use all of the assigned hours, a Veteran may re-assign the unused hours that are available to another child. Only one child will use Hazlewood Legacy benefits at a time.
Wabs
AG
Fly Army 97 said:

To summarize -
1 - Need to live in TX

Don't think this is true, or at least it wasn't a year or two ago. I used all of my Hazlewood hours for my oldest daughter. I have 100% of my GI Bill to use for my next kid.
CT'97
AG
The rule of thumb is call the veterans office at which ever university they are attending and talk through it with them. It's that confusing, my kids haven't made it that far, but aren't far off so we are just starting to sort it out.
Hey Nav
AG
Apologies for my confusing link. I totally omitted the Legacy portion.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Is this funding for college just for people who enlisted in the Army in Texas? Or can Officers utilize the Hazelwood Act as well?

Example: I commissioned out of A&M via ROTC and 4-Year Army Scholarship.

I am following up with Veteran Services at my future grad school as well.
While it is well meaning do not take information you read on an internet board.

Go directly to the source.

https://www.tvc.texas.gov/education/hazlewood/#khEbPEga

It has been around for a long time but there were some great changes made to the program a few years ago. On the Texas Veterans Commission website you will find phone numbers or email addresses that you can find the answers that you need.

The Texas Veterans Commission will also help you work on your disability claim. It is a great benefit to Texas veterans.

Southlake
Saved me 150 hours on my kids tuition.

You have to have come on active duty from Texas and off active dude from Texas.
The Dog Lord
AG
F4GIB71 said:

My point was that Loftin complained about Hazlewood being an unfunded mandate but was silent on in-state tuition for illegal aliens, which they were getting at the time. How is that not an unfunded mandate as well?

You could argue it is in a way, but those students are still paying in-state tuition whereas Hazlewood means the university is getting nothing. Most support the benefit for vets and their families, but it essentially punishes the schools like A&M, UTSA, etc. that serve a high number of vets and their families. The state's favorite thing when it comes to education is requiring things and having others pay for it.
cavscout96
AG
Kind of not.

sek92
AG
We have 2 kids at aggieland, 1 uses 9/11, the other uses Hazlewood.
nortex97
AG
The confusing thing is you have to get, basically, a denial of veterans benefits letter (GI or otherwise) thru the federal folks (have to apply) for your kid and then they will be able to access the program/benefits at the state level. The state (Hazlewood) exemption applies only if they're ineligible otherwise for federal benefits, in short.

Great program for vets discharged/entered service in Texas. I haven't heard that only one kid at a time can use it. It's 150 hours net (unless some other qualification, I'm not disabled/dead to my knowledge.)
Agvet12
AG
Reading through, have kiddo 1 on the way - so a ways away but saving a bit for their tuition.

I know the HA is a route, but confused on the must use up all the GI bill benifits first.

I have my entire GI bill, was a short timer in service and did my 4 and got out (in and out through Texas). As I read it I have to try and ask the VA to shift my GI bill to kiddo (get denied) then apply for the HA benefits to switch it to my kid?
nortex97
AG
Basically, your kid has to get a denial letter from the federal VA stating they get none of your GI benefits, before the state benefits under HA kick in. It's a little odd to request a denial, but at some point (I think Vietnam era) some of those GI benefits could be used by beneficiaries I guess. Can't get the denial (or, can't use it) until it's the academic year he/she is going to go to school.
Trinity Ag
S
nortex97 said:

Basically, your kid has to get a denial letter from the federal VA stating they get none of your GI benefits, before the state benefits under HA kick in. It's a little odd to request a denial, but at some point (I think Vietnam era) some of those GI benefits could be used by beneficiaries I guess. Can't get the denial (or, can't use it) until it's the academic year he/she is going to go to school.
This is right. I transferred all of my Post 9/11 GI Bill to my daughter (Aggie Class of 2017). My son (Aggie Class of 2019) got a letter showing my benefits were exhausted, and is eligible for my Hazlewood, which he is now using for UT Law School - which is a crap ton more expensive than undergrad tuition!
wildmen09
AG
Hoping to see if anyone has had this experience. I entered Active Duty in Texas and I am currently a Texas Resident through my home of record. My wife and I are considering retiring from Active Duty out of state. Could I own another home in Texas and then use the Hazlewood Act since I would have a legal residence in Texas?

I think the hurdle I would actually need to overcome is the out of state tuition because I believe a child has to have lived in Texas for 12 months prior to attending A&M to be considered in-state.

Thoughts?
Aggie Therapist
AG
Will you be active duty when they start going to school? If they can start at A&M while you are still active, they can start building residency. Take a deep dive on that website.

An active-duty member of the United States Armed Services whose Home of Record with the military is Texas is presumed to be a Texas resident, as are his or her spouse and dependent children. A member whose Home of Record is not Texas but who provides the institution Leave and Earnings Statements that show the member has claimed Texas as his or her place of residence for the 12 consecutive months prior to enrollment is presumed to be a Texas resident, as are his or her spouse and dependent children.

If you did not select Texas as your Home of Record when you entered the service, and you have not taken steps to change your permanent residence with the military to Texas, you may still qualify for a waiver under Texas statutes.

Veterans (Retirees and prior service members) must meet requirements for Independent Individuals even if their home of record was Texas. Spouses and dependents of veterans must also meet requirements for either independent or dependent individuals.

https://aggie.tamu.edu/billing-and-payments/residency-for-in-state-tuition/establishing-residency
You’re not alone—the Veterans Crisis Line is here for you. You don’t have to be enrolled in VA benefits or health care to call.

Dial 988 Press 1
wildmen09
AG
I will not be, no.

My main question is this: can I own a home in Texas and somewhere else and claim the Texas residence as my primary residence. What makes it the primary residence? Claiming it as such on my federal taxes?
cavscout96
AG
wildmen09 said:

I will not be, no.

My main question is this: can I own a home in Texas and somewhere else and claim the Texas residence as my primary residence. What makes it the primary residence? Claiming it as such on my federal taxes?

actually living in it more than 50% of the year
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.