Officer vs. Enlisted

10,523 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by insulator_king
SeanLucas2020
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll try and be as brief as possible with this post.

Graduated last semester from A&M with a Maritime Administration degree. I've been applying for commissions for roughly 1.5 - 2 years now (3 denials from CG and 1 pending from Navy). If I get denied by this board, I've heavily considered enlisting. What I'm looking to get out of the military? Service, fulfillment, experience (technical skills I can transition out with) and experiences. As for what I'm considering enlisting in (Rate/MOS) intel, or cyber (branch) AF/Navy. I understand the differences between officer and enlisted (responsibility, liberties, advancement, pay, QoL, etc.), but at this point I really want to do something instead of sitting around and waiting for the POTENTIAL at going to OCS. I want to hear anyone and everyone's perspective, especially those who have been in a similar position.

TL;DR: Been trying to commission for 1.5 years (4 times now), want to go and do something with my life instead of waiting, I want to hear everyone's insight/experiences.

Thanks and Gig 'Em!
clarythedrill
I retired this year after 30 years of service, all enlisted. If I could go back in time I would not change a thing. Only thing I ever envied about the officer world was pay, but really not much at that. I knew what I was making everytime I re-enlisted, and it was more than enough for me.

More cool schools are available for enlisted than officer, and you can always apply for OCS or WOC as enlisted, so that door is not closed going the enlisted route. If you love being around Soldiers, you want to be enlisted, as we never leave the line per say, but officers disappear for years on end after certain jobs.

You cant go wrong with the enlisted side, but if being an officer right off the bat is what you really want, stick it out and hope for the best with your current plan. Good luck.
SeanLucas2020
Thank you, sir. It seems officers get pigeon-holed pretty hard and I've heard of so many cooler things that enlisted get to do. I appreciate the insight and happy veterans day!
Fly Army 97
Clary offers more contribution to this forum and most, so I say this with nothing but respect for him. Almost everyone you talk to will say their chosen path was great...some officers will mention they might have enlisted first and then commissioned. That said, I disagree with this point below.

"If you love being around Soldiers, you want to be enlisted, as we never leave the line per say, but officers disappear for years on end after certain jobs."

Really, it should read "If you like being around the "young" Soldiers who make up the preponderance of the force, go enlisted." Officers do not 'disappear for years', but they certainly (and to his point), are taken off the line to learn how to better lead a staff and command at a higher echelon. I never stopped training with Soldiers, training a staff, or organization/command in 20 years in the Army (minus schools). After year 21, things changed, but that's another story...

The services all handle their jobs, promotion, and experience just slightly different than the next. Marine Corps and Army are not that different if you look at it objectively, but the number of people you lead as an Air Force/Navy officer vs USMC/Army is very different. The scope of the mission is different too.

When it comes down to making your decision, make sure you know enough about the organizational culture you are about to enter too.
CharlieBrown17
AG
If you're just looking for 4 years for the experience and some skills, enlisted Air Force cyber probably makes the most sense of your options. The tech school is on the coast in Mississippi and you should be able to get a few certs along the way.

I'm not Intel but one of my best friends is an Intel officer, from talking to him I don't see a ton of transferable that his guys are doing unless you just want to become a contractor after.

Overarching thought, if technical skills are your goal then enlisted is the way to go. Most officer career fields might have some of the skills but that isn't the point of the position, you're there to make sure the job is getting done and has direction not to do the heavy lifting. Unless you're flying or I guess in your case boat driving?

Last thought, had another good friend get his degree and start a grad degree only to decide to enlist instead. He's happy where he's at now but absolutely hated the teaching to the lowest common denominator he experienced at the beginning of his career. There's tons of smart enlisted but there's also tons of guys/gals that barely made it through high school and the military was their only choice. I'm assuming you're a 23 or so year old that's been managing yourself away from parents a few years, you're going to be dealing with rules/punishments/etc designed to deal with the previously mentioned not you.
SeanLucas2020
That's a fair point, most people don't like to think the path they took was the wrong one; that being said, I have talked to many of my friends on the E and O sides who say that they regretted their choice and wished they had went the other.

The point you made about culture is spot on. From what I've heard, CG and AF treat their E side a lot better than the MC or Army (just what I've heard from asking around). But, a question for you. Do you think the Rate/MOS of an enlisted heavily influences how they're treated (i.e. Intel vs. Yeoman)? Or, do you think that in the grand scheme of things, their job doesn't really impact much?

Thanks for your response!
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Four months before I graduated from high school in June 2006, I enlisted in the Army because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I served as a military intelligence analyst from 2006 to 2011 and deployed twice to Iraq; December 2007 to February 2009 and June 2010 to May 2011. I also went to Fort Irwin, California for a National Training Center (NTC) rotation four months before my second deployment. I was promoted to sergeant on December 1, 2010 in Iraq and went on terminal leave in August 2011.
Fly Army 97
Fly Army 97
SeanLucas2020 said:

That's a fair point, most people don't like to think the path they took was the wrong one; that being said, I have talked to many of my friends on the E and O sides who say that they regretted their choice and wished they had went the other.

The point you made about culture is spot on. From what I've heard, CG and AF treat their E side a lot better than the MC or Army (just what I've heard from asking around). But, a question for you. Do you think the Rate/MOS of an enlisted heavily influences how they're treated (i.e. Intel vs. Yeoman)? Or, do you think that in the grand scheme of things, their job doesn't really impact much?

Yes, some would take another path, no doubt, and it sounds like people you talk to have a different point of view...I'd offer that across a spectrum of experiences and years, "MOST" like the path they chose, but that is my experience asking people since I've been in the Army. They are all different, apples and oranges.

If how you are treated is a measuring stick or screening criteria, a different definition of 'treatment' exists depending on who you ask. In the Army, our enlisted have a hard life, but (my opinion) they are treated with respect (there are obvious exceptions online). Ask your sources how enlisted are 'treated' in the places you are looking. Measure that against the job experience you are looking for. If you think being an Air Force enlisted mechanic or intel is the better path than an infantry rifleman or tanker, you will have a lot of other attributes to consider.

Either way, you will enjoy what you do and have plenty of opportunities to do something after you get out...either through resume or through experience.
clarythedrill
Fly Army 97 said:

Clary offers more contribution to this forum and most, so I say this with nothing but respect for him. Almost everyone you talk to will say their chosen path was great...some officers will mention they might have enlisted first and then commissioned. That said, I disagree with this point below.

"If you love being around Soldiers, you want to be enlisted, as we never leave the line per say, but officers disappear for years on end after certain jobs."

Really, it should read "If you like being around the "young" Soldiers who make up the preponderance of the force, go enlisted." Officers do not 'disappear for years', but they certainly (and to his point), are taken off the line to learn how to better lead a staff and command at a higher echelon. I never stopped training with Soldiers, training a staff, or organization/command in 20 years in the Army (minus schools). After year 21, things changed, but that's another story...

The services all handle their jobs, promotion, and experience just slightly different than the next. Marine Corps and Army are not that different if you look at it objectively, but the number of people you lead as an Air Force/Navy officer vs USMC/Army is very different. The scope of the mission is different too.

When it comes down to making your decision, make sure you know enough about the organizational culture you are about to enter too.
Fly, thank you for the comments. Also, I want to say that the comment about officers disappearing was not meant to be disparaging, so apologies if taken that way. Yes, officers are at schools teaching them upper leadership and other things, but they are gone from the Soldiers for years at a time.

While it does not apply to all officers, those in the Armor and Infantry world are really in leadership positions for about 18 months as a PL, hopefully 18-24 months in company/troop/battery command, 24 months BN if lucky enough to get one, and 24 months in BDE command if lucky enough to get one. Again, this is the Armor and Infantry world and does not apply to all since come CPTs will get a second command in an HHC or the like. So, in a 20 year career, they are in a real leadership position for 4 years at most unless they get lucky enough to get selected for a BN or BDE command (or equivalent).

Yes officers are around those in the staff section or whatever, but those are not leadership positions unless you are the staff primary, and really even then that is not considered a leadership position, and rarely do the staff officers go to the motorpool, ranges, etc....with the junior enlisted like the NCOs do. I know you are aviation, so your experiences are likely to be much different than the combat arms branches.

I am not trying to start an officer/enlisted argument, so please don't take it that way, but NCOs are with their Soldiers day in day out for mostly their entire career. I am just glad we do not have a time like officers do when in the rank of Major, you guys get run ragged in the S3 or XO positions. I CERTAINLY do not envy yall in those positions.
bigtruckguy3500
I don't know how advancement works in all the services and rates/MOSs, but I've seen some older individuals that joined late fly up the ranks and in advancement. One of the best PO1s I worked with joined in his early 30's and attained E6 in 6 years. An "ok" E5 I worked with joined in his late 20's and is an E5 14 years later. Another individual I know, has a BS in physics, decided to enlist, was about to advance to Cpl, now is a PFC due to an alcohol related incident.

I think the enlisted side will definitely get you more technical skills, or at least more specialized technical skills. Officers that get sent to technical schools usually are sent to learn a little about a lot, not a lot about a very focused skillset. At least from what I've seen.

At the end of the day, it'll be what you make of it. So long as you go in with realistic expectations of what life will be like, and know exactly what you want to get out of it, and understand that the needs of the military come before the needs of the individual (read: they can very easily change your job and have you doing something you never wanted), four years will go by quick. And you'll get great discounts on veteran's day for the rest of your life (don't forget the GI bill either)
clarythedrill
SeanLucas2020 said:

If you are a good Soldier and are pulling your own weight and added value to your organization, regardless of size, you will be treated well as an enlisted Soldier in the Army. If you are a turd or one of those types that your supervisor is spending WAY too much time having to fix, you are not going to be treated well, in fact you will be treated quiet harshly in the combat arms MOSs.

As for quality of life, well, that really depends of where you are stationed and the type of unit you are in. Some units have a great culture and unit history as some have said above, and some are just there to get by. A lot depends of the leadership of that organization, and it can and will change with new senior leadership at all levels. Most all cavalry units have great cultures with their stetson's and spurs, and airborne also have a great culture. I think the best culture I have been in was 2-4 Infantry, a leg battalion in 10th Mountain, so leadership does matter. Noli Me Tangere!!!

Posting affects this too. People really try to get to Europe, Ft Lewis, Alaska, and Ft Carson, and try to avoid Ft Drum and Ft Polk like the plague. You just have to get out and find things to do and occupy your time when you are in the less desirable areas.

I would think that everything said above applies to all branches and MOS's within those branches. Just ask the Marines about 29 Palms, the Air Force about anywhere in the Dakotas, and the Navy about Great Mistakes. Everyone had places that will make them want to get out, and places that would make you want to make it a career. Just choose the branch that has the jobs you are interested in and the culture you are looking for. If you want a please and thank you culture, the Army and Marines needs to be struck from your list right now.

Jock 07
AG
Lots of future cyber opportunities within USSF. CTIO is working through details of CSOs vision of being the first digital force
InfantryAg
AG
Been on both sides of the fence. Some of my buds from OCS (2003) had a few years in the army and spent their last 6-8 years on the Officer side (company level) to get their 20. Probably the best plan.

Technical skills are good for a follow on career. Probably the smartest move is Air Force Reserve Air Traffic Controller and Fed job with the FAA.

Combat MOS's, you get more soft skills such as leading and managing people and making decisions under pressure.

Officer side more of those soft skills and general management skills, still more in Combat Arms. There's some good opportunities on the officer side, such as Foreign Area Officer.

What you want to do long term plays in. I wouldn't trade being an infantry platoon leader in combat for any other experience I had. It hasn't helped me get a job, but it made me a better leader and manager. Being infantry (both officer and NCO) helped me to be driven to accomplish tasks. Infantry didn't get me any technical skills for outside the army and that wasn't a factor for me, but I already had a successful career before 9/11.

Are the services not in need of officers now? Seems like you may be doing something wrong, not to be competitive on that end...

Army has boats and divers, BTW.
AggieEP
Search for my thread on this board about military linguists.

BLUF of that thread is that it's an awesome career that gets you in the door to a ton of opportunities and no one is ever going to treat you like you're a stupid enlisted grunt. I would recommend AF or Navy still just because quality of life provided is usually better.

At the 4 year mark I had multiple job offers to 3 letter agencies. Not necessarily a guarantee your experience would be the same, but if you work hard and stand out you will have great opportunities. I'm currently deployed as a cultural expert working high level issues between the US and our Middle Eastern partners. My office is a captain, 2 majors and a Lt Col plus me and my 2 interpreters. Nothing gets done without me and my guys facilitating communication in the local languages. It's not everyone's cup of tea but it's been endless opportunities for me to grow my skill set.
InfantryAg
AG
Brings up another great point, Federal service. Had I known 20 years earlier. Federal benefits and retirement oftentimes without alot of the BS (although it's still there).

OP may want to consider transition into fed service, or fed service and a reserve component. Plenty of maritime opportunities in the fed govt, including positions that will likely enhance your chances of commissioning.
Rabid Cougar
AG
There are transferable skills as an officer.

I am civilian but work for the DOD (U.S Army Corps of Engineers). Lots of our officers (O-5 thru 7s) retire and either show back up as civilians working for us in Federal service in management positions (Engineering/Project Management) or as project managers for engineering firms that contracted with us. We are talking full retirement and a 6 figure salary.

Corps Outfit buddy went Navy officer route as an Engineer and went into ship building. Became Supervisor of Shipbuilding at Bath Iron Works overseeing construction at 3 other ship yards in California, Wisconsin and Washington. Retired as a Captain after 27 years and now runs Ingalls Shipbuilding in Pascagoula, MS.

Ingalls Shipbuilding

UTExan
clarythedrill said:

I retired this year after 30 years of service, all enlisted. If I could go back in time I would not change a thing. Only thing I ever envied about the officer world was pay, but really not much at that. I knew what I was making everytime I re-enlisted, and it was more than enough for me.

More cool schools are available for enlisted than officer, and you can always apply for OCS or WOC as enlisted, so that door is not closed going the enlisted route. If you love being around Soldiers, you want to be enlisted, as we never leave the line per say, but officers disappear for years on end after certain jobs.

You cant go wrong with the enlisted side, but if being an officer right off the bat is what you really want, stick it out and hope for the best with your current plan. Good luck.
I don't regret the officer route, but I found myself wanting to do things that EM/WOs could do technically that I could not do. Administration was a bit of a drag, but necessary. I put in 3 years active and transferred to the reserves, but eventually found satisfaction in a civilian career. I also did not like being at officer's calls and hearing other officers speak disparagingly or condescendingly of their troops; it was a bit too much like the old British social tradition for me with "officers and other ranks" social casting.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Fly Army 97
clarythedrill said:

Fly, thank you for the comments. Also, I want to say that the comment about officers disappearing was not meant to be disparaging, so apologies if taken that way. Yes, officers are at schools teaching them upper leadership and other things, but they are gone from the Soldiers for years at a time.

While it does not apply to all officers, those in the Armor and Infantry world are really in leadership positions for about 18 months as a PL, hopefully 18-24 months in company/troop/battery command, 24 months BN if lucky enough to get one, and 24 months in BDE command if lucky enough to get one. Again, this is the Armor and Infantry world and does not apply to all since come CPTs will get a second command in an HHC or the like. So, in a 20 year career, they are in a real leadership position for 4 years at most unless they get lucky enough to get selected for a BN or BDE command (or equivalent).

Yes officers are around those in the staff section or whatever, but those are not leadership positions unless you are the staff primary, and really even then that is not considered a leadership position, and rarely do the staff officers go to the motorpool, ranges, etc....with the junior enlisted like the NCOs do. I know you are aviation, so your experiences are likely to be much different than the combat arms branches.

I am not trying to start an officer/enlisted argument, so please don't take it that way, but NCOs are with their Soldiers day in day out for mostly their entire career. I am just glad we do not have a time like officers do when in the rank of Major, you guys get run ragged in the S3 or XO positions. I CERTAINLY do not envy yall in those positions.
Fair points...and I don't take the comments disparaging. I guess I disagree on the bottom line or premise that officers are in 'real' leadership positions only four years. I certainly led, the staff as an XO, and my S3s certainly lead the operation and sweat that goes into it. There is no doubt more direct leadership interaction for NCOs once they get there. I'd argue outside the IN/AR MOSs, that direct leadership opportunity is more on par with other branches, to include the O ranks.

I'm also not trying to start an O/E argument, but the compare and contrasting is difficult because the two career paths serve two purposes. The variety of things you can do as an O is huge, but it's for a purpose. Anyone, making such a decision should take that into consideration. Either path takes commitment to last. But I'm not certain the OP knows what he wants out of this experience.
ArmyTanker
Sean what is your GPA?
SeanLucas2020
GPA is a 3.71, if you'd like any other info, I am happy to oblige!
ArmyTanker
SeanLucas2020 said:

GPA is a 3.71, if you'd like any other info, I am happy to oblige!
I apologize about the belated response.

That is a very competitive GPA and I applaud your accomplishment. I will give you 5 courses of actions:

1. Talk to the various branches of service to see if you qualify for OCS.
2. Look into going Active Guard Reserve (AGR).
3. Remain a civilian.
4. Apply to become a federal civilian employee.
5. Enlist and apply for OCS. You know the risk of not being picked up for OCS. I can't vouch for the accuracy, but I heard that the Army approves 60% of the OCS packets. I think the feather in your cap is your very robust GPA. If you enlist in the army it would behoove of you to kick ass on the Physical Training tests and portray yourself as a model and mature soldier. Essentially give them every reason to send you to OCS.

Here is some unsolicited advice. Lay down on a couch and brainstorm why you want to become a US Military Officer. Keep it simple. This will make others perceive your endeavor with more validity (for the lack of a better term) and it will assist you in talking points. Expounding on your desire to become a US Military Officer is crucial to garner letters or recommendation for your OCS packet.

The US Army OCS packet requires a one page essay on why I want to be an Army Officer. That is why I tell soldiers to brainstorm, and as I alluded to earlier, soldiers will sound more convincing if they prepare themselves. You will go before a local Army OCS board once your packet is completed. The board will not ask you tactical questions like what are the various formations for maneuver. This will give an advantage to those who have tactical experiences. They will ask broad questions like what did you like about your first job or did you have a boss that you did not like and how did you handle the situation.

I would like you to think about why you want to become a US Military Officer and provide 3 bullets that you can expound on.

I hope that I painted the picture for you to the degree that it facilitates your endeavor. I don't have all the answers, but I will be here should you have questions.
SeanLucas2020
That's an excellent suggestion and a route I've definitely considered. Who knows, I may even end up applying if I don't get picked up from this packet. I appreciate your input.
SeanLucas2020
I'll clarify what I'm seeking from either commissioning, or enlisting.

1. Structure and discipline

2. The opportunity to grow and develop as a person

3. Transferable skills (technical, leadership, experience in general, etc.)

4. Fulfillment (serving the country and feeling like my role is meaningful)

5. Benefits (Post 9/11, Montgomery, TA, etc.)

As you can see, these goals aren't restricted to any particular MOS/Rate, Branch, O/E, etc.

SeanLucas2020
I appreciate your input. Hopefully, if I commission, I won't have to experience that kind of talk; but I'm sure it's, due to the nature of the position, it's inevitable. I'm very firm about the military being my first professional career move and I don't think that will change.
SeanLucas2020
Thank you for your input! I've heard from my talk with E/O, that enlisted is very technical and job-oriented, whereas O is more-so a management position (obviously alongside your job). At the end of the day, my goals are service, growth, technical training and the benefits that come post-service. I think either side will be able to provide those opportunities.
SeanLucas2020
Thank you very much, sir!

Those are excellent suggestions. There is the concern of this seemingly floppy commitment to any one particular branch (I've gone from applying for CG to Navy and maybe eventually another branch), will reflect poorly on me.

Thank you for your offer, please expect me to contact you, asking about your experiences.
ArmyTanker
SeanLucas2020 said:

I'll clarify what I'm seeking from either commissioning, or enlisting.

1. Structure and discipline

2. The opportunity to grow and develop as a person

3. Transferable skills (technical, leadership, experience in general, etc.)

4. Fulfillment (serving the country and feeling like my role is meaningful)

5. Benefits (Post 9/11, Montgomery, TA, etc.)

As you can see, these goals aren't restricted to any particular MOS/Rate, Branch, O/E, etc.

I am not the end all or be all. I might focus on Leadership, Mission of the Army, maybe living by the army values and inculcating it into your units:

• Loyalty. Bear true faith and allegiance to the U.S. Constitution, the Army, your unit and other Soldiers. ...
  • Duty. Fulfill your obligations. ...
  • Respect. Treat people as they should be treated. ...
  • Selfless Service. ...
  • Honor. ...
  • Integrity. ...
  • Personal Courage.

Do not discuss benefits.
Lee72
AG
Well, first off, let me say that my answer is based on experience that is dated (1976-2008) within the Navy from both sides of the fence.
If you're set on a commission, keep trying. If you can't make the cut on active duty side, try the reserves. Once you're commissioned in the reserves and serve a couple years, apply for transfer into active side.
If you can't get commission initially, enlist in reserves and shoot for Intel Specialist. Do a couple years that way to "prove" yourself to the Officer cadre who will be sitting on your board, Volunteer for and be successful at the more difficult assignments, keep up with current events, take advantage of as many schools as you can get into and perform as much active duty as you can get. THEN, apply for the Direct Commission Intel Officer Program.
One last thought, with your Maritime Administration degree, have you thought of applying for a commission in the US Merchant Marine? Serve some time and apply for transfer to USN.
Good luck...I did 8 years enlisted, then DIRCOMM'd Intel and retired as Captain. Granted, it was mostly reserve time but in last 15 years, I put over 3000 days on active duty because I could. That allowed for good FITREP's signed by significant folks and rapid promotions...not to mention lots of points toward retirement computation. I retired with right at 48% base pay (equal to 20 real years active duty).
Gig em,
Lee72 CAPT USN (Ret)

P.S. - if you're married or plan to be, make sure she's totally onboard as navy tends to be gone a lot which is hard on families. And as a Chaplain (yes, a Chaplain) told me in front of my wife "if the Navy had wanted [me] to have a wife, it would have issued [me] one."
Pirate04
AG
Flight school starts every two weeks!

But for real, look at the Army's Warrant Officer Flight program. We always need good people in the WO cohort. And a sincere good luck to whatever course of action you choose!
SeanLucas2020
I had never considered the Reserve route, thank you for bringing this to my attention! Intel has always been an interest for me, so that sounds like an appealing back-up plan. As it stands, I'm looking to do my 4 and get out, but, if I enjoy it, 20 is certainly an option.

I've discussed it with my girlfriend many times and laid everything out for her. She says she's onboard with it, but only time will tell.

Thank you very much again!
SeanLucas2020
I've certainly considered WOFT and I'd be open to discussing it more, if you'd be willing to. Thank you for your well wishes!
Pirate04
AG
Well, just reading your previous post. The new commitment for WOFT is 10 years. And that starts on the day you graduate flight school.
ArmyTanker
SeanLucas2020 said:

I had never considered the Reserve route, thank you for bringing this to my attention! Intel has always been an interest for me, so that sounds like an appealing back-up plan. As it stands, I'm looking to do my 4 and get out, but, if I enjoy it, 20 is certainly an option.

I've discussed it with my girlfriend many times and laid everything out for her. She says she's onboard with it, but only time will tell.

Thank you very much again!

I want to paint the picture for you.

Our footprint in Iraq and Afghanistan have gotten SIGNIFICANTLY smaller. This DRAMATICALLY reduces chances of deploying. Deployments for units is training intensive as units invest several months to prepare and train for deployments. After Combined General Staff College in 2013 all of us MAJs in that class had follow on orders to Iraq or Afghanistan. It is different now. I was active army for 20 years and I moved the family 9 times. This puts a lot of stress on children.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.