Question: The Art of War

2,086 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ranch Dressing
Ranch Dressing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm interested in the opinions of those who have served or are currently serving on this board.

Is the Art of War written by Sun Tzu overrated or worth the read? Why?
74OA
AG
Well, it is on US military professional reading lists for the Services, academies and intelligence professionals, which should tell you something. I found it interesting.
CT'97
AG
If you are at the field grade level and studying it then yes. If are are just at home reading for your own pleasure, no.
Texas A&M - 144 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress.
Hey Nav
AG
It's worth the read to understand what the Chinese are reading.

That said, and not really important, is there is plenty of doubt Sun Tzu really existed.

The Art of War could just be a compilation of various writings from different authors. Who knows...
Rabid Cougar
AG
or military history junkie....Just because.
hillcountryag86
AG
As CT '97 says, it is not a pleasure read, although it is a very short book and can be read quickly.

It does apply, however, to more than just military. I read it while serving and again when I bought a business. Valuable teachings in a lot of life.
Naveronski
AG
I enjoyed it.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Many in the military and academia compare it with Clausewitz's "On War." Two different approaches to war.

"On War" is a painful read and very long though.

As already mentioned. If you're a military officer then you've already read them or will have to read them later on.
AggieFlyboy
AG
The Art of War falls in the category of bumper sticker strategy. It get's it's street cred from the fact it is the oldest known strategy book. It's use today is more inspirational than prescriptive.

It is worth reading however.
txaggie_06
AG
it was interesting and a good read to take up part of an evening. If you are military, just read it and get it out of the way. Flyboy hit it when its more of a broad stroke on things. Don't attack with the sun in your eye. make sure you have the high ground. don't outrun your supply line.
Fly Army 97
Sometimes the simple stuff can be clearly overlooked. It's just another tool in the toolbox, but it's nothing to dismiss either. We get the simple stuff wrong more often than we should.

For the OP - Jomini, Clausewitz, Thucydides, Sun Tzu all have their place...especially if you ever start to work beyond a tactical level of war.
Ranch Dressing
AG
My opinion after reading the AOW: There is much value to be gained from reading g this book. I have found it useful for business, strategy, and paradigm shifts.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.