Green V-22s

2,031 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CanyonAg77
StrykerAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are there green V-22s besides the ones for the President? Heard a noise in the skies above my house the other day that I did not recognize so I took a peek. It was a lone green Osprey. I have no idea why it would be flying in my town.
bigtruckguy3500
Where do you live? I don't think any of the Marine or navy ones are green. The new bell valor might be though
GAC06
AG
The only green ones I've heard of are VMX-1. AF ones are dark grey, normal Marine ones are light grey, and the Navy ones are two tone white/grey like the C-2's
Rabid Cougar
AG
StrykerAg said:

Are there green V-22s besides the ones for the President? Heard a noise in the skies above my house the other day that I did not recognize so I took a peek. It was a lone green Osprey. I have no idea why it would be flying in my town.
Bet you its the new 280 flying around.
metrag06
AG
I'd guess VMX-1 also - they use them to ferry staff/media around for Presidential visits. Was there an event in your area recently for Pres/VP?
Naveronski
AG
Are you sure it was green?

V280 is black.
CanyonAg77
AG
You do recall that this is a National message board, and not everyone knows everyone?

Telling us where you are would help, a lot.

For instance, if you're in the Ft. Worth area, the new V-280 is a definite possibility. They are currently test flying in that area.

If you're in a spot where the President or other big shot is, then it might be a V-22. As I understand, the V-22 is in the Presidential fleet, but not yet cleared to fly the President. Hence, it is painted dark green all over. Presidential helicopters are dark green with a white top.

For those of us who have seen Ospreys in flight, it would be easy to tell the difference in the V-22 and the V-280. But I forget that they are a rare bird, not commonly seen by those of you who are not in the shadow of the Bell Helicopter assembly plant in Amarillo.

V-22 has an H tail, the 280 has a V tail (V - Valor)
CanyonAg77
AG
Old V-280 thread:

https://texags.com/forums/63/topics/2917639/replies

V-280:

Photo essay on HMX-1 V-22s

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/30-fascinating-photos-of-hmx-1s-ospreys-working-for-the-1711110955

V-22s

AllTheFishes
AG
If it was the OKC area could have been them recovering and returning air craft from the Tulsa rally.
StrykerAg
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

You do recall that this is a National message board, and not everyone knows everyone?

Telling us where you are would help, a lot.

For instance, if you're in the Ft. Worth area, the new V-280 is a definite possibility. They are currently test flying in that area.

If you're in a spot where the President or other big shot is, then it might be a V-22. As I understand, the V-22 is in the Presidential fleet, but not yet cleared to fly the President. Hence, it is painted dark green all over. Presidential helicopters are dark green with a white top.

I merely asked if there were green Ospreys besides the ones I normally see alongside Marine One since I thought it was strange for one to be all alone, especially in my area. I wasn't expecting the board to play detective. But in any case, it definitely was a V-22 and it was shiny green. This was in the Pottstown, PA area. If I recall, POTUS was in the SW visiting the border wall.
Naveronski
AG
McGuire AFB is less than 75mi from there, so it's possible.
StrykerAg
AG
Yeah there are Blackhawks and Chinooks flying over the area all the time. Some even land at one of the 2 small airports nearby. Although I have seen Marine V-22s multiple times before, they've always been at a distance where I couldn't or just barely hear them. This one pretty much flew right over the house and made me say "what the hell is THAT sound?"
CanyonAg77
AG
This is weird, I thought I posted a reply, but it disappeared.

In any case, no need to be defensive. As mentioned above, where you saw it has a bearing on what it might have been. And not everyone is an airplane nut, thus the discussion about whether it was a V-22 or a V-280.

But since you did post an approximate location, Google tells me there is a V-22 update facility, less than 40 air miles away from you, in Philadelphia. Since every V-22 will likely be cycled through there at some point, it's not surprising that an HMX-1 bird might have been worked on there, then flight tested near you.

It's the same reason I see Navy COD V-22s, and Japanese Air Self Defense Force V-22s (Rising Sun markings and all), since I'm close to the V-22 final assembly plant.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.