"Thank you for your service."

13 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 86sq6
Federale01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

Heard someone (a vet) say not only should we thank those of you for your service, but to also say "never forget." I've wondered since what reaction that would get.
I am a little different I guess. I don't think a veteran should ever demand thanks or even expect it. I also don't like when people say it, to be honest. I can't stop it, but I am not a fan. I didn't do it for anyone's thanks. I served because I felt the call to serve. It scratched my own itch. Plus, not all service is the same. Go thank a guy who lost a leg, not me.

redline248
AG
What about hearing "never forget?"
Federale01
AG
I feel that is a bit self-serving in an odd way. Like you want to make sure I know you're concerned. I won't forget who I lost. Who won't you forget? If you just mean in general terms, then it rings hollow to me.

But I think we all have different reactions to these type of things, so just go with your gut if you feel the need to say something. A veteran recommended you say that, another may not be comfortable with it.

45-70Ag
AG
I've always Said my pleasure or something close to that as I've never really have known what to say when someone says this. For whatever reason it's kind of awkward for me.

I don't ever reveal i deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan but a friend tagged me on a pic on Facebook and people i work with saw it before i did. So i learned to change my Facebook settings.
74OA
AG
I appreciate the sentiment, but it mostly feels perfunctory and PC.

My brother, who also served, and I have a (admittedly very weak) gag routine when we meet:

Me: "Thank you for my service."

Him: "Oh no, thank you for my service."
Federale01
AG
Related to this. I saw a commercial today from a company that was just a montage of different people saying "thank you for your service" is various ways. It ended with the company saying they support our troops and thanking vets for their service. Can't help but feel that company was just trying to sound good to customers, especially veterans and families since my market is loaded with them. Again, a bit self-serving.
Eliminatus
AG
Damn, how cynical can we Americans be.

"Thank you for your service."

"What do you want from me?"
Federale01
AG
Don't know why I am cynical.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2015/11/4/9670302/nfl-paid-patriotism-troops-mcain-flake-report-million

terata
AG
It's just lip service, smile and move on.
trouble
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

JABQ04 said:

I just say "Thank you for your support". Personally I hate when someone says this but it's not going to stop so oh well.

This.

Or appreciate the support

Unless it's your mother and your smart ass answers "you're welcome for my service"
Bodie Broadus
CBattBQ87
AG
It usually catches me off guard and I just say, "Thank you".
Aggie1
AG
I too am often caught off guard...
My response typically is that during the years we had a draft those of us whose number came up didn't have much of a choice...

But to follow, the service was very good to me and my family. I chose to make it a career when the AF continued to send me back to A&M for additional classwork several times to continue and complete my education.
D206
AG
Thank you for paying taxes!
Lee72
AG
Or Coast Guard!!!
Lee72
AG
My usual response is "You're quite welcome" and sometimes I add, "I did it for the [or your] children"
86sq6
That's pretty much my response - 'Thanks for paying your taxes'. Usually get a chuckle, but it's a true statement.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.