"Thank you for your service."

10 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 86sq6
Orbital Debris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How do you respond to this? I've caught myself saying Thank you, or more appropriately You're Welcome.

I'll preface this by saying I have a lot of conflicting emotions from my 6 years. 99% of it was the worst six years of my life for various reasons. I'm happy I made it through and gained invaluable life experience, but 20 years later still not sure if I would do it over again.

Sometimes I get this with the same tone as "Have a nice day" from people I feel have no respect for sacrifices, and the surly dysfunctional part of myself has thought about saying "You're not welcome" or GFY. I'm fine with most people that say it sincerely. I don't bring up my service as virtue signalling and I don't expect thanks. I suppose it is better than the attitudes when I grew up.

A lot of times I encounter threads on this board where folks will give an opinion, and when you speak (write) from the position of a veteran, they will say "Oh well, Thanks for your service".

Opinions?
Bodie Broadus
We (friends) talk about this all the time. I always kinda cringe? As though I feel like I just did what everyone else did that's still here with us today, survive.

My response has always been, "My pleasure."
Post removed:
by user
Hey Nav
AG
OP - question. How do they know you're a veteran?

Anyways, most everyone who says "thank you for your service" is well meaning. You can just nod, or say "you bet" or 'thanks" or "you're welcome". At Spec's, I say "thank YOU for the discount".
Bodie Broadus
Right on Nav! Thanks for the cheaper booze!
Orbital Debris
AG
It comes up occasionally. I've got submarine plates, and I belong to a veteran's motorcycle group. Mostly when I use it for a discount. I'm not exactly a gravy train type, but I finally broke down and had them put the mark on my license for it. Recently I went to the county office to straighten out a vehicle registration problem and selected "Veteran Services" at the kiosk where you pull your number. Next number called was mine.

With respect to this board, there was a recent thread on another forum where a non-veteran was outraged at something that he considered disrespectful to veterans. I disagreed.
JABQ04
AG
I just say "Thank you for your support". Personally I hate when someone says this but it's not going to stop so oh well.
CanyonAg77
AG
Just remind yourself it's an over reaction to a time when veterans were not appreciated in many quarters. Maybe accept it in the name of the Vietnam and Korean vets that maybe didn't get to hear it.
Post removed:
by user
F4GIB71
It was my honor.
F4GIB71
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

but I finally broke down and had them put the mark on my license
This is a good idea. It can come in handy with the police sometimes.

Personally, I don't have any stickers on my vehicles (other than A&M things) and I don't wear any clothing that's veteran related. No longer have windshield stickers for entry onto military installations. That can reduce a lot of the "thank you" comments if they make you uncomfortable.

I am very proud of my time in the AF, and am appreciative if someone gives a thumbs up. As I said, it is usually well meaning comments from people who just want to express their appreciation that you served.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG

" It was fun ! " Sarcasm ( non combat )

Outlaw0206
AG
I usually respond "Thanks for paying your taxes, we appreciate it"
HollywoodBQ
AG
Orbital Debris said:

I finally broke down and had them put the mark on my license for it.
Funny thing about that, I haven't had a Military haircut in 15+ years and usually have long blond hair unless I've just done an Alopecia donation (I look like I could be Chelsea Manning's big sister). Point being that I look more like a hippie than a Veteran but, I brought in my DD214s and got "Veteran" stamped on my driver's license.

The only time it has ever been noticed by anybody is:
  • TSA Agent checking my ID at Austin Bergstrom looked at my license and said - "Thank You for Your Service" and I was stunned. I didn't know what to say. A TSA Agent who was doing more than just his job caught me totally off guard.
  • When I got a speeding ticket in South Dakota, the State Trooper saw "Veteran" and thanked me for my service (I was doing 100 mph in a 65 mph zone when he saw me but I was down to 80 mph by the time he clocked me). He also gave me a great steakhouse recommendation for Pierre, SD.
AgBQ-00
AG
As someone who grew up in a family of veterans and was unable to commission myself I know I feel a great deal of regret for not serving. But for those of you who did, I feel a tremendous amount of gratitude and respect. But I never verbalize it to vets except for family because I don't think a simple thank you is enough. But to each of you, sincerely I have nothing but respect and thankfulness that you answered the call to serve our great nation.

I believe most probably feel the same way but it is just awkward because it does not capture the gravity of your service or the gratitude of the one saying it. Just my opinion though.
WBBQ74
AG
The boss and I were finishing up lunch at the local Red Robin a couple of days ago. Waitress brings the tab and says to me, 'Thank you for your service'. I chuckled a bit and asked her, "Does it show that bad?". She said her folks were USAA employees and that she could spot a vet easily after all these years.

I was lucky. Just held the rope for others, never heard a shot fired in anger over my 30 years of wearing a uniform. I just tell folks something along the lines of 'It was an honor to serve my country' and 'thanks'.

A DD214 doesn't make you better than anyone else. Just a little more appreciative of those who did not come home to enjoy what so many take for granted.
F4GIB71
WBBQ74 said:

I was lucky. Just held the rope for others, never heard a shot fired in anger over my 30 years of wearing a uniform. I just tell folks something along the lines of 'It was an honor to serve my country' and 'thanks'.

A DD214 doesn't make you better than anyone else. Just a little more appreciative of those who did not come home to enjoy what so many take for granted.
I went to church with a guy who was in the Corps and served a few years with 82nd. We also had an older gentleman who was on second wave to hit the beaches of Iwo Jima. My friend seemed to think his service was somehow inadequate when compared to Bert's or mine because he never saw combat. His service was (thankfully) between conflicts. I told him that he is in a small group who actually served. That is the key no matter the MOS or AFSC. That separates us from 98% of the population, no matter the duty. Thanks for your service!
F4GIB71
aggiejim70
AG
My friend seemed to think his service was somehow inadequate when compared to Bert's or mine because he never saw combat.

I understand how your friend feels. I'm what they call a Vietnam Era veteran. I spent two long lonely years keeping Oklahoma safe for democracy, bouncing back and forth between being CO and XO of the HQ battery of the OCS battalion. Hard to compare that to my grandfather, my class of '50 dad and my son, who all went to war for this country.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

That separates us from 98% of the population, no matter the duty. Thanks for your service!

While I agree with your sentiment, I was curious about the numbers.

Current US population: 327.2 million

Current active duty: 1.3 million, or 0.4%

Current living veterans: 18 million, or 5.5%

Active + veteran: 19.3 million or 5.9%

So more like separates you from 94% of the population. Sentiment is correct, numbers slightly off.

And, of course, the numbers will trend lower, as WWII and Korean War vets leave us. Even Vietnam Vets aren't spring chickens anymore.
CharlieBrown17
AG
JABQ04 said:

I just say "Thank you for your support". Personally I hate when someone says this but it's not going to stop so oh well.

This.

Or appreciate the support
JohnnieBB
AG
"You Are Worth It!"

After I read all of these I had to post this in which my wife found. https://news.yahoo.com/medal-honor-recipient-kyle-carpenter-131020967.html

I now say this and get many who get emotional.
bufrilla
AG
My response has always been:
"Thank you, it was an honor to serve my country"
That would include an acknowledgment nod of my head or a hand shake if their hand was extended.

Myfather served in AEF in WWI, 3 brothers, a sister and brother in law served in WWII (oldest brother wounded in S Pacific in Guadalcanal Campaign; next brother made D-Day jump with 82nd AB & Op Market Garden, wounded both times; brother-in-law was Company Commander in Patton's 3rd Army and wounded and captured in relief of 101st at Bastogne after Christmas'44, one brother all the way into Germany w/o a scratch.
Three brothers and same brother-in-law served in Korea, one KIA at the Chosin Reservoir Dec 3, 1950. One brother and myself served multiple tours in Vietnam, brother with 11th Air Assault, 1st Air Cav, me with 3rd Marines '68-'69 and flying F4 Phantoms in '71-'73.
Both my sons served as Marine Officers in Bosnia, Liberia, Iraq & Afghanistan, both Aggies, youngest served with 2nd Marines for 6 years and oldest is in 25th year and retires in June. One Grandson current active duty Marine at Camp LeJuene. Enough of my brag.

But one thing I must add. Headed for Vietnam, I was rerouted on Emergency Leave. My Father had a heart attack. I arrived at the hospital well after 10pm, but my Mom took me straight his room, ignoring all the nurses.
As soon as I entered the room, I knew it was serious, that "twinkle in those blue -grey eyes" just was not there.
I sat on the bed holding his hand as we small talked. Then he said "son, I want you to listen to me. I know I've said this before, but I want you to understand,there is no greater honor than serving your country. Whether that's in the military, government service, or just a good, everyday American citizen." " You serve with honor and always remember to take care of the men in your command, as they will take care of you." 'I said I know Dad, you taught me well." He didn't answer my response, just squeezed my hand. I walked out the door that night standing a little taller, but knowing I would never speak to him again. The next time, a day later, he was in a flag draped coffin. The strongest person in the family, MOM, ten years of her life, her sons and daughter serve in combat, with 6 WIA's and 1 KIA.

All Vets, thank you for your service, whether at war or peace.
BaitShack
AG
I was taking with a combat vet grunt the other day in Kroger, after telling him I was POG (0121 no less) I said "You did way more than I ever did". He replied with "Thanks for paving the way."
ShotOver
AG
Hey Nav said:

Anyways, most everyone who says "thank you for your service" is well meaning. You can just nod, or say "you bet" or 'thanks" or "you're welcome". At Spec's, I say "thank YOU for the discount".

There's a vet discount at Specs?
BaitShack
AG
Yes, they give you the case price. It's a decent discount.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I was at a big box store the other day. A guy a few years older than me (yes, they exist) drove up in a pickup with MARINES on every available surface. Huge decal on the back window, license plates, license plate frame, T-shirt, hat, probably had an EGA tattooed on his butt cheek (I didn't look).

It took a lot of self restraint to not ask him if he'd been in the Army.
Post removed:
by user
Bodie Broadus
Hey Nav
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

It took a lot of self restraint to not ask him if he'd been in the Army.
Might have been better if you asked him if he was in the Navy.
Eliminatus
AG
Used to fluster me but now I go with what some of y'all mentioned above.

"It was my honor to serve."

Concise, and true.
CharlieBrown17
AG
BaitShack said:

Yes, they give you the case price. It's a decent discount.

To piggy back, it'll be the price on the bottom left of the tag.

Usually 8-15% depending on the bottle. Usually a really good deal on more expensive items than mid shelf or lower booze.
redline248
AG
Heard someone (a vet) say not only should we thank those of you for your service, but to also say "never forget." I've wondered since what reaction that would get.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
People saying thank you for your service is great, but when it is said ALL the time I think it cheapens it. Businesses bend over backwards for vet/active duty discounts/benefits and pretty much every sporting event is military appreciation.
Eliminatus
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

People saying thank you for your service is great, but when it is said ALL the time I think it cheapens it. Businesses bend over backwards for vet/active duty discounts/benefits and pretty much every sporting event is military appreciation.

It's a matter of scale. A civilian may say it a few times a year. A veteran hears it all the time. It may be cheapened somewhat for us, but it is generally sincere from others, so it shouldn't be a terrible thing to endure IMO.

And it is still preferable to scorn. Something our Vietnam vets sometimes had to go through.

IOW: It's not a big deal.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.