Causal Fridays? C&T's to class?

10,261 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BoozerRed78
TnAg23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jock 07 said:

TnAg23 said:

We are wearing ACU bottoms and combat boots with our outfit cotton shirts on Fridays before gamedays, (Wednesday this week) to class. They look better than y'all are expecting.
So, just curious here, was this a bottom up decision from cadets or directed by the Trigon?
We still individually wear ACUs to labs but that has to get approved by the chain of command.
TnAg23
AG
We do have to change into Bravos to go to the MSC, under no circumstances, including rain or variation of Uniform Of the Day, can we go into the MSC without Bravos or higher.

edit: at least that's what my upperclassmen told me. I am still a fish and shouldn't speak for the whole corps.
Prince_Ahmed
9/11 happened when I was a butt, and I remember a discussion regarding the corps standing with the rest of the students by wearing Cs and Ts with the red, white, or blue t-shirt over BDU bottoms (depending on deck). It was decided that we could better show our patriotism by wearing our summer A's, looking as sharp as possible.

I think that was a good decision then, and I'm sorry to see a different sentiment under the current administration when it comes to maroon out.

bigtruckguy3500
TnAg23 said:

Jock 07 said:

TnAg23 said:

We are wearing ACU bottoms and combat boots with our outfit cotton shirts on Fridays before gamedays, (Wednesday this week) to class. They look better than y'all are expecting.
So, just curious here, was this a bottom up decision from cadets or directed by the Trigon?
We still individually wear ACUs to labs but that has to get approved by the chain of command. The Cs and Ts on Fridays were the Commandant's decision.
First of all, how were you allowed on Texags during FOW? We didn't have access to our cell phones, or even our watches for that matter.

But regardless, how do you (as a fish) know it was the commandant's decision? Did he tell y'all directly? When I was a fish, there was no way we would've known who made what decisions. Of course we always made up rumors anyways, and everything was usually Corps Staff's and the Commandant's fault.

Back in the day, the cadets used to make decisions and the commandant's staff only advised and stepped in if it was a stupid decision. If the commandant really made this decision, it only confirms rumors that this is no longer a cadet run corps. If the Corps Commander didn't at least protest this, then that's sad.

Also, I feel like this is almost an annual thing. Just one thing after another gets changed in some radical fashion, the commandant comes on here after the fact, says something to appease everyone, and then we see it or something similar appear in a more low key, tolerable, fashion at a later time.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Quote:

edit: at least that's what my E1 upperclassmen told me. I am still a fish and shouldn't speak for the whole corps.
FIFY

I appreciate your enthusiasm but... If I were a fish with 1 week of experience in the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets, I'd probably do one of two things:
A - Follow the Stephen Covey habit - "Seek first to understand and then to be understood" (you've got about 9 more months of "understanding")
B - Use the Army leadership tool - "Let the situation develop" (a lot of these things will magically work themselves out without having to commit your resources to the fight)

A kid your age will probably live another 80 years so you'll have plenty of time to get on the TexAgs and tell us what's what from how it was back in the 20s when Old Army was still hard core before A&M had a non-reg show band and cheerleaders.

There are lots of grumpy old men here who need to vent about Old Army going to hell. Please allow us to do so.

Good Luck with your 4 years in the Corps and if you don't want to quit almost every day of your fish year, seek out more challenges that are available to you in the Corps - FDT, Rudder's Rangers, Ranger Challenge, etc. Don't forget to study. That's what gets most folks.

Oh and another friendly piece of advice... I certainly wouldn't tell anybody what outfit I'm in until I had at least earned my Corps Brass. Of course, my class earned our Band Lyres in New Jersey before school started so, my point of view might not be the best on the topic of Corps Brass.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Holy hell, I missed that. Yeah fish Jock, start pushing now and don't stop until I'm tired.
Aggie Infantry
AG
Anyone notice who has NOT chimed in on this topic????
When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
TXAggieMom11
Oh 99Jock, this little fish won't be a Jock until earning Jock brass. Until then he is just an E-1 fish.
chickencoupe16
AG
It always goes like that. Any time an incorrect rumor gets posted, he replies within the day. If the rumor is correct and the board disagrees, you won't see him.
Ol Jock 99
AG
TXAggieMom11 said:

Oh 99Jock, this little fish won't be a Jock until earning Jock brass. Until then he is just an E-1 fish.

Interesting. I don't recall this distinction, but then again, I was a very dumb fish and do not remember ma'am.
bigtruckguy3500
chickencoupe16 said:

It always goes like that. Any time an incorrect rumor gets posted, he replies within the day. If the rumor is correct and the board disagrees, you won't see him.
Until after the fact. If you notice, this thread was started on the 12th. The thread asking how many fish joined the Corps was started on the 15th. He posted on that one within an hour, but this one got skipped over for some reason.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Jock 07 said:

Also, can they not get subdued diamonds and moons for the ACUs?
Many moons ago, fish Jock was walking across campus, and crossed paths with a gent wearing BDUs (what we called them back them). I looked and looked and couldn't see any insignia. Finally, when he was about 3 feet from me, I saw a single "subdued" bar...a newly minted 2nd Lieu.

I snapped a salute, but that wasn't good enough for Mr Lieuey. He had me stand at attention and dressed me down for my lack of proper military etiquette. Was a great look for the Corps for all the nonregs walking by.
Had a Lt. Commander dress me and fish buddies down off the quad one day. We were heading to class and she was walking the opposite direction amongst several civilians. We couldn't see were jacket sleeves because she was only about 5' tall. She said "Howdy Admiral" in a loud voice and gave us the death stare. Of course we immediately spazzed out. She dressed us down right then and there. Our only answers were "Yes ma'am" and "No ma'am" except for one of the fish buddies slipped and let out a "Sir" several times.....not good.
Outlaw0206
AG
TnAg23 said:

Oh please NO, OUTFIT SHIRTS!? Just stick with the maroon shirt if you are going do it to "maroon out" campus on Fridays. Some outfit shirts are terrible, not to mention the stupid "nick names" on the back of them.
Warrior 66
Despite the fact that there are those that think I'm a regular "visitor" to TexAgs, I am not. I rarely check TexAgs and usually never come on to post unless I am told by a co-worker or friend that there is a dumpster fire on the Military page that I might want to check out and comment on to help keep guys from jumping off the ledge. I seriously doubt that many previous Commandants ever posted on TexAgs, and despite being advised that I shouldn't ever post on TexAgs, I only do so to provide straight information - NOT to engage in debates or ad hominem personal attacks with anyone on this site.

I personally don't see this thread as a major issue, but after getting a message today that folks were apparently asking where I stood on this matter, I agreed that I'd be happy to check out the thread and if necessary, provide the "real story," and then let the "fur fly" afterward.

To be clear however, I have also put my office number and e-mail on this site numerous times, and have asked that if you truly have a deep concern or question about anything Corps related, to either e-mail me or call me. I am happy to discuss ANY matter with you, as long as it doesn't violate FERPA or any other federal or state laws, and as long as you're willing to do so in a mature, professional manner. Just as in social media, I won't get into e-mail or phone call name calling or shouting matches with anyone. I will be happy to have an adult, professional discussion with anyone - even if in the end we agree to disagree - something people just can't seem to do anymore.

Given that, here are the facts concerning the issue behind this thread:

First, its not "casual Friday," or "Maroon Out," as some have asserted on here. Its called "Spirit Friday," and this is the second year its been observed. The intent behind it is to encourage all students, staff, faculty, and administration to wear maroon the Friday before a home football game. Yes, even the Commandant and his staff wear civvies and maroon shirts on "Spirit Fridays."

The decision for cadets to participate is purely a cadet decision - despite that fact that a fish with exactly 2 weeks in the Corps is convinced that it was the Commandant's decision (that one was worth a good laugh!). It was NOT my decision - it was the cadets. Last year the cadet leadership opted not to observe Spirit Fridays, and we supported that decision. This year the cadet leadership decided to observe Spirit Fridays, and again, we supported that decision. Cadets will wear Cs and Ts (I won't go into detail what that it is, since others have already provided a description), for this Thursday and every Friday before a home football game - exactly 7 days out of the entire year. The Corps will still wear Class B or higher uniform for every game day.

A couple of "rules" associated with the Corps participation in Spirit Fridays: First, the uniform must be clean - including the t-shirt worn. No nick names are allowed on the back of the shirt worn on Spirit Fridays. Second, Cs and Ts are still NOT allowed to be worn in the MSC or Rudder Tower complex. And once again, cadets will be in Class B or higher uniform for game day.

So thats it, in a nutshell. You now have the "real story." As I've said in the past when I have posted, you now have the TRUTH - not rumor, second hand info, innuendo, or BOGINT. While you may not agree with it, I will not engage in any kind of debate with anyone on social media about it. The cadets have opted to observe Spirit Fridays this year - all of 7 total days this Fall - and we support that decision.

I hope this answers any questions you may have had concerning this matter. Again, I've provided the accurate information, and will not engage in any debates or fur flying that occurs as a result. We always know that certain things elicit negative responses from the OCGs - "Old Corps Guys" - and that as Hollywood BQ described on this thread, they use this site to "vent"about it. Understood and accepted. We are Aggies, and we all have a deep passion for our school and the organization that had such a profound impact on all of us while we were at A&M. That is certainly worth a few good "rants" or "vents," on TexAgs and other sites.

Thanks for your love and support of our Corps! Beat the Hell Outta Texas State!
jramirez@corps.tamu.edu
(979)845-2811
JABQ04
AG
Ha ha. Since he was anonymous, just smoke all the E1 fish for this, hell smoke all the fish on the Corps and remind them spreading bull **** on TexAgs isn't a fish privilege.
Jock 07
AG
Glad to hear it was a cadet decision and while I have mixed feelings about it glad the corps is opting to unite with the non-regs. Corps involvement off the quad is a good thing. Just glad it's not to the game.

Also, it didn't even cross my mind that 23 was a class year and they're fish this year. Pretty sure I didn't even discover this site til my junior year.
Quad Dog
AG
Great post by the Commandant. He said he would not address questions and complaining, and that's fair. So maybe this is maybe more of a higher level question for the group.
I'm glad the cadets are involved in this decision, and I probably would have thought it was pretty cool as a cadet to wear a T shirt and baggy pants to class on Fridays. However, with some age and perspective I realize the meaning, importance, and history of wearing a uniform properly. I don't feel like I had that perspective until mid way through my senior year, and some cadets never got that perspective. So the question is: I know the Corps should be cadet run, but what role should Bulls and Old Complaining Corps Guys be in supplying perspective?
93Spur
Quad Dog said:

Great post by the Commandant. He said he would not address questions and complaining, and that's fair. So maybe this is maybe more of a higher level question for the group.
I'm glad the cadets are involved in this decision, and I probably would have thought it was pretty cool as a cadet to wear a T shirt and baggy pants to class on Fridays. However, with some age and perspective I realize the meaning, importance, and history of wearing a uniform properly. I don't feel like I had that perspective until mid way through my senior year, and some cadets never got that perspective. So the question is: I know the Corps should be cadet run, but what role should Bulls and Old Complaining Corps Guys be in supplying perspective?
The Bulls have a role to play with regard to ROTC, recruiting and general operation of the Corps. The latter includes some counseling on actions contemplated by Corps Staff, who make such decisions for the Corps, and to ensure Corps Staff is making well-considered (check with your major unit commanders and outfit commanders) decisions.
Old Ags could have a role to play, if the Bulls want, where several Old Ags are invited to speak to the Corps in a regular program about what he or she took forward from the Corps and what, in hind sight, was not well-considered. This is particularly true in an age when digital media permits rapid and extensive sharing of conduct and choices which will generate negative feedback (sweatshirts to game)
It would likewise be very important concept for the Corps to provide a communication channel to the Old Ags (i.,e Prospective and Actual Donors) where the Corps keeps Old Ags aware of what the needs are for the current members of the Corps and what annual changes have been made, which would avoid the third hand gossip.
74OA
AG
I read plenty of adult perspective in the Commandant's post: It only happens 7 days a year, none of which are gameday, and it gives the Corps a visible role in a campus-wide student spirit event. Within that context, it's acceptable and commendable, imho.
hbc07
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

TnAg23 said:

Jock 07 said:

TnAg23 said:

We still individually wear ACUs to labs but that has to get approved by the chain of command. The Cs and Ts on Fridays were the Commandant's decision.
First of all, how were you allowed on Texags during FOW? We didn't have access to our cell phones, or even our watches for that matter.

But regardless, how do you (as a fish) know it was the commandant's decision? Did he tell y'all directly? When I was a fish, there was no way we would've known who made what decisions. Of course we always made up rumors anyways, and everything was usually Corps Staff's and the Commandant's fault.

Back in the day, the cadets used to make decisions and the commandant's staff only advised and stepped in if it was a stupid decision. If the commandant really made this decision, it only confirms rumors that this is no longer a cadet run corps. If the Corps Commander didn't at least protest this, then that's sad.

Also, I feel like this is almost an annual thing. Just one thing after another gets changed in some radical fashion, the commandant comes on here after the fact, says something to appease everyone, and then we see it or something similar appear in a more low key, tolerable, fashion at a later time.
I remember being on a massive list as a fish around corps brass time and being told "This was approved by Corps Staff and the Commandant, but don't talk to anyone about it."
Federale01
AG
Respectfully disagree. It still looks like crap. Of course the whole idea of spirit Friday seems equally silly to me. Maroon out campus the day before the game? What purpose does that serve? But, it's not my campus any more, so have at it.
74OA
AG
I wasn't commenting on whether it was a good idea or not, but on Quad's comment that the bulls hadn't applied adult perspective to the decision.
BoozerRed78
AG
I've got a solution - bring back Class D's and let everyone wear THEM on Fridays.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.