What's going on with the SEALs?

2,478 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol Jock 99
Oryx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is there any reason they seem to be stuck in a lot of controversy lately? I know the whole writing books meme, but was curious what led to the current situation in NSW.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
You only hear about the SEALs because of the media attention, movies, TV shows. Other branches have also done stupid s**t recently, see below examples. To answer your question though. In my opinion it's a bit of Bathsheba Syndrome.

- Two SF just plead guilty to trying to smuggle cocaine from Colombia on a military aircraft.

- Marines are under investigation for murdering a contractor.
PanzerAggie06
AG
I'd add a caveat to your statement that much of that media attention is self-induced. The SEALS have never met a reporter, tv show, newspaper magazine, etc. that they didn't love. Not to be crass but they tend to be attention hoars.
A. Solzhenitsyn
PanzerAggie06 said:

I'd add a caveat to your statement that much of that media attention is self-induced. The SEALS have never met a reporter, tv show, newspaper magazine, etc. that they didn't love. Not to be crass but they tend to be attention hoars.

In fairness to the older SEALs out there, that's a relatively new phenomenon. Marcus Lutrell's massive success with LS triggered it I believe.
Diyala Nick
AG
Do they teach creative writing at BUDs?
expresswrittenconsent
A. Solzhenitsyn said:

PanzerAggie06 said:

In fairness to the older SEALs out there, that's a relatively new phenomenon. Marcus Lutrell's massive success with LS triggered it I believe.

Richard Marcinko is nearly 80.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Diyala Nick said:

Do they teach creative writing at BUDs?

They have since 2014 sir.

https://www.duffelblog.com/2014/05/us-navy-seal-training-writing-course/
Tango_Mike
Bar joke:

Know how to guess if someone is a SEAL?

You don't have to, they'll tell you.
Agvet12
AG
Quality vs Quantity
I Am A Critic
I don't think it's confined to just the SEALs. There are turds in every group. I do think that there are some things that haven't helped matters.

-Publicity seeking from within the branch i.e. Lone Survivor, Act of Valor, etc
-Social media, etc has made too many "celebrities" out of those who've worn Tridents, Ranger tabs, Green Berets, etc in the past.
-Poor leadership and lack of accountability from the top down for being "silent" professionals
-Nearly 18 years of constant war and deployments
Rabid Cougar
AG
Its not a new thing.
Rambo 1982 - Sly Stallone Based upon a book written in 1972
Delta Force - Chuck Norris 1986
SEAL Team - Charlie Sheen -1990
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

Delta Force - Chuck Norris 1986
Two things man.

1) Lee Marvin. Couldn't be bad with Lee Marvin in it.

2) Motorcycle Rockets

10 year old Ol Jock LOVED Delta Force.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.