Post 911 GI Bill

1,247 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by hdrydor
wildmen09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If I retire outside the great state of Texas and my kids go to A&M using the GI Bill will the tuition be in-state or out of state?
clarythedrill
A quick google search came back with an article from 2014 stating: Until they establish residency, they face out-of-state tuition and fees that their GI Bill benefits won't cover, often costing them thousands of dollars. ... Public colleges and universities set lower in-state tuition rates because most states subsidize education costs for their residents.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiU5Z3As4HeAhUMuVMKHcKDAN4QFjAJegQICRAZ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.stripes.com%2Fnews%2Fveterans%2Funderstanding-new-in-state-tuition-ceiling-on-gi-bill-1.301424&usg=AOvVaw0DKysq1aFE0j-l3-KecjEY

This rule may have changed since then.

Edit: I think that as long as your kids are residents of Texas, that is all that matters. I gave may GI Bill to my daughter, and she went to college in both Vermont and Texas when I was stationed in those states. We did not have to pay any additional fees/tuition either time. But, I was also labelled a "Gold Star" level (or something like that) and that gave my daughter additional benefits over a regular GI Bill user. During that time both my daughter and I claimed Texas residency. I would think that if your kids were Texas residents when applying, then In-State would be the tuition rate.
sek92
AG
We are stationed in north Carolina (home of record texas). we use the g I bill for our daughter who goes to a&m. She has a scholarship so she qualifies for in state tuition. If she didn't have that, we were going to try the yellow ribbon program. On her tuition bill, says out of state tuition charge, then scholarship waiver, then goes to in state cost, then has gi bill payment.
sek92
AG
The veterans office at aggieland is extremely helpful.
AgLaw02
AG
I called the A&M veterans office to ask a similar question. I lived in Texas until I began active duty service that took me out of state. Texas remains my home of record. The guy on the phone assured me that if I'm still on active duty when my kids go to A&M they will be considered in-state students based on Texas being my home of record, even if my kids live out of State due to my military service.
sek92
AG
Also check because rules might be different for retirees and active duty
GMaster0
Most schools with a good veterans department can give you an immediate answer. I would venture it shouldn't be an issue. We are paying no fees or tuition for my wife to attend PA school in a out of state school. Her program exceeds $70k in costs over two years, but WA state covers the full cost for 9-11 bill users.
hdrydor
AG
I entered the Air Force as a Texas resident. I retired from the Air Force and got a job where I was last stationed (Nebraska). So, unfortunately, I'm a Nebraska resident. My oldest son is a sophomore at A&M now and is using my G. I. Bill. He gets in state tuition. No need for yellow ribbon program. A&M Veterans center is very helpful and sent us a form my son had to sign in order to get the in state tuition. VERY good deal!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.