Security Clearances

1,848 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DogCo84
Joe Schillaci 48
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I do not want to get political here but I have a question.

In my time in the military I was given a Top Secret security clearance with various accesses. This was back in the 1970's. I recall that I when I was discharged I signed several documents stating the punishments that I could be issued and my final days in the military I was denied access to my workplace because I no longer had a need to know.

If someone no longer has a need to know, is the process different today? Why would someone be allowed to have access?

Again, I am not getting political. I am just curious.
74OA
AG
Assuming you're referring to Brennan and other former senior officials, the answer is simply that such people are allowed to maintain their clearances because traditionally the government has continued to seek their advice and use them for special assignments after they retire/leave. Their lifetime of knowledge and experience wouldn't be of much use if they didn't have current clearances to allow access to classified information/projects on a need-to-know basis as authorized by the government of the day.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Thanks for the response. I assumed that once your job was completed you no longer had access to information.

Did not know that you could continue to have that access. If I remember correctly a background investigation was done every 5 years for a Top Secret, 10 years for a Secret.

My DD 214 has my clearance and date of award.

Probably old data.
AggieEP
There is a difference between access and clearance. My Clearance is active right now but I don't have access because I'm working a mission that doesn't require me to access any classified information.

In order to access classified information you need to

1- Hold an active (or provisional in some cases) clearance at the appropriate level of the material for which you are accessing. For OPM to investigate and award a clearance this usually means an Agency/DoD entity is sponsoring an individual (i.e. paying the investigation cost) for a clearance.

2- Be determined to have a need to know for the specific information you are trying to access. For example, just because I have a TS/SCI doesn't mean that all TS/SCI information in the US Government is at my fingertips.

As for Brennan, it's a weird situation because he's acted a bit uncharacteristic for a formal high level government employee, but revoking the clearance is an odd step. If I was Trump I would just say that Mr. Brennan the private citizen no longer has the need to know and thus remove his access to classified while leaving the clearance itself in place since it doesn't mean much by itself.
Federale01
AG
Exactly. It's not like Brennan was walking into the CIA everyday and going through files. Any access to classified material he would have currently would be extremely specific and finite. As stated, he may be asked to come in and discuss events he has specific knowledge of or consult old files prior to testifying before Congress. But that's about it.

It's also quite possible that the people who were fired for cause like McCabe and Strozk may have already lost it.

Many former clearance holders maintain their clearance for a different job after they leave, like a contract employee at agency that requires one. But at that point, the new employer sponsors the clearance.
Jock 07
AG
I'm just glad the SF86 is all online and they keep track of all your old entries. Now I don't have to go track down my neighbors info from two assignments ago
Federale01
AG
China loves it too.
Jock 07
AG
Meh they've had all my info for years, I'm sure the OPM breach wasn't the first time they got it
MarineAggie95
AG
My DD-214 has the same and mine is long past being active. When I left active duty I was read out and signed my life away with threats that if I revealed or anything here were the penalties.

have a friend who is now an author and because of his clearances he has to have DOD sign off on all his books even though he is writing fiction.

My wife has her clearance for work and it is every 5 years for TS.
aalan94
AG
Revoking the clearance is an unusual step, but really meaningless.

As was noted, just having a clearance doesn't give you access unless you're in a job that allows you to get access. A clearance is not the keys to the kingdom. If you are not employed in a job that gives you access, you're not effectively using the clearance.

What it does give you is lets you start on day one when you're hired in a new job, and can be a discriminator in hiring if you don't have it. That being said, if you've been in a high position like this guy and a new administration comes in and wants to hire you, they can give you a new interim clearance and get you in on day one. What Trump has done could be undone very easily. And since there's no job in the Trump administration that this guy's going to get anyway, his lack of a clearance isn't really an issue until there's a new president, so revoking it now does nothing but remove a resume bullet from him.
DogCo84
AG
I think the post-govt service employment limitations caused by loss of clearance are the slap here. No clearance is definitely a hiring discriminator at times with DoD contractors. When I was doing contract work in Southwest Asia, many locations required at least a Secret level clearance to even be considered for assignment.

In 2014, the location I was at dropped the formal Secret clearance requirement and my employer rightly inactivated my clearance. I will say that I was not informed that this had happened. I didn't find out that my clearance had been inactivated until two years later when I was trying to go back over. It wasn't just a matter of "turning the clearance back on". Since two years had passed since my clearance was last active, it was going to take a whole new "re-look" investigation to get my Secret active again. Maybe things are moving faster these days, but when I did my original DISCO clearance in 2011, it was taking several months to process a clearance if you didn't get an Interim.

Granted, these folks are at a whole different level and "special rules" may apply--but many employers will simply move on to the next person if the clearance process becomes even a slight hassle?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.