Female mascot corporal

9,771 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Rabid Cougar
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well that didn't take long. Integrated end of last year, female handler next year.

http://www.thebatt.com/news/mia-miller-named-first-female-mascot-corporal/article_3a43d8ce-3f5c-11e8-bd82-2b1ca61cdbb7.html
Montgomery Burns
AG
I'm curious what the selection process is like these days. I have no doubt a female could earn this position, but honestly...I could see it as a political move too.
Naveronski
AG
Sure, why not?

As long as the same standards were upheld for all applicants, regardless of gender.

Including PT tests.
Scruffy
AG
As a non-reg, how hard is it to walk a dog?
What training is needed?

This isn't the good old days when mascots got kidnapped.
Ol Jock 99
AG
So is she in the first integrated fish class.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Jesus.
WestTexAg12
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Jesus.

Way to go Champ... your old unit failed
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
WestTexAg12
AG
Montgomery Burns said:

I'm curious what the selection process is like these days. I have no doubt a female could earn this position, but honestly...I could see it as a political move too.

It most definitely is a political move. If it's still Gen Ramirez, I guarantee he forced this ****
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
CharlieBrown17
AG
I was suspicious at first but her PT scores are really good. They would be good scores for a male so she's definitely solid on that front.
Law Ag 10
AG
Wow. End of an era. Or maybe it ended a long time ago? Suddenly my old E-2 stuff doesn't seem worth much anymore. And I definitely won't be paying out of state tuition to send my kid, who would be a 4th gen. Aggie, to A&M. But, sadly, I've been saying that for awhile in response to other more important issues. The university has made it apparent that they don't need money from folks like me. So I'll go back to yelling at clouds ...
ValleyRatAg
AG
Damn. I knew it was a matter of time but damn. Should've been in L1.
ValleyRatAg
AG
This SJW bs has to stop.
CanyonAg77
AG
What needs to stop is recruiting to outfits so E2 has 200 members and other units have 10.
rebel06
AG
What needs to stop is the commandant forcing integration/his PC agenda on outfits like E-2 and others that have historically been all male. Within one year, E-2 had a CO from another outfit, a female 1SGT, and the outfit integrated.
Montgomery Burns
AG
I also heard the female they made E2's first sergeant ended up punching. Great move by commandants staff there.
t_J_e_C_x
AG
Montgomery Burns said:

I also heard the female they made E2's first sergeant ended up punching. Great move by commandants staff there.

She did.

This has got to be political. Officially dead.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I knew TexAgs would deliver on this topic.

So... next question for those on the BG Ramirez political agenda conspiracy train, other than say integration of E-1 Jocks, what gender barriers remain to be broken in the TAMU Corps of Cadets? What's next? I don't think we've had a female head drum major yet.

I would pop popcorn and wait for the responses but, I had to go to the dentist this morning so popcorn is off the menu for now.

A question for CharlieBrown17, how did you find out the PT scores for the new Reveille handler? Grapevine hearsay or is there some place where they publish cadet PT scores?

Law Ag 10 - As I found out the hard way, Texas A&M isn't the only game in town when it comes to 7-day a week Corps of Cadets programs. I will say that I was devastated when my kid didn't get into A&M due to a paperwork problem but, these days, I'm quite happy paying $50K+/yr in tuition to the State of Virginia. You're going to be hard pressed to find a Corps program that is still old-school salty towards females due to the numbers required to compete in NCAA athletics. In fact, Texas A&M and Virginia Tech are probably the only programs where the athletes aren't also members of the Cadet Corps. One funny aside I learned from a VMI buddy I went to the Armor School with - they hate athletes because they always sham their way out of any Corps games to go do some athletic activity. We didn't have this problem at A&M because having NCAA athletes in the Corps was extremely rare.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Anyone in the corps can still look up PT scored for anyone else, I was talking to one of my under class men about it and they looked it up and informed me.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Yeah, we had a guy that was on the football team a couple of years before me, and from what I heard he was a ghost as far as being involved in the corps went, but who cares. Anyone willing to make the time commitments to do both the corps and try to play football deserves some slack.
Pro Sandy
AG
battlecreek1
This mascot corporal will sadly never have any respect...whether she deserves it, or not. She will always be viewed as the puppet GRAM put in place the year after he integrated E2, I was in E2 and don't recall dozens of people showing up to the "pass down" event, much less The Batt showing up. This was a planning publicity stunt and sadly everyone loses.

I hope she is deserving of this position (I know I was not.) I can appreciate women knowing they can do a lot of things in this world and make an impact. Can they do everything? No.

As a man, can I have a baby? No. Can I join a sorority, no. Can I join Junior League, no. But, do I feel "disenfranchised", NO!

It is time for us to all realize that bad things happened in the past, bad things happen now. None of this means we can't have organizations that help girls become women, and boys become men. This is good for society.

We will all wake up one day and ask "What happened?" For me and mine...Joshua 24:15.
Pro Sandy
AG
TAMU1990
AG
I think it's normal to question the motives when just last year the brass transferred out an elite sophomore cadet to pave the way for the female 1st sergeant who quit last fall. The honor is supposed to go to the best cadet. If she was the best cadet then I have no problem.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Pro Sandy said:

Because women?

Why are women being in outfits bad? The military has integrated just about everything. Even submarines have women on board now.

The corps isn't the military. The university has made it very clear that it is a student led leadership organization. It actually lost the last Commandant over this change. Half the students in it don't go into the military after. If students in it feel that they benefit more from an all male experience, all female experience, or a mix, then they should be able to.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Out of curiosity, would someone please explain how the female First Sergeant thing went down. Why did they transfer out the male and why did she quit?

Stand by for a female mandate in a future 5 For Yell.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Champ Bailey said:

Pro Sandy said:

Because women?

Why are women being in outfits bad? The military has integrated just about everything. Even submarines have women on board now.

The corps isn't the military. The university has made it very clear that it is a student led leadership organization. It actually lost the last Commandant over this change. Half the students in it don't go into the military after. If students in it feel that they benefit more from an all male experience, all female experience, or a mix, then they should be able to.

rebel06
AG
I was told from a reliable source that E-2's female 1SGT was dating a male Corps member and he told her to choose him or the Corps.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Another first, Rose Marshall '19 B-1 assumes command of the PMC.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
ABATTBQ87 said:

PMC died a long time ago due to politics.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Politics is also the only reason PMC is still alive at all.
I-Haul
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

I knew TexAgs would deliver on this topic.

So... next question for those on the BG Ramirez political agenda conspiracy train, other than say integration of E-1 Jocks, what gender barriers remain to be broken in the TAMU Corps of Cadets? What's next?

E1 has already been integrated once. He can't have that record. Monica Strye class of 99 was a Jock. There may have been others. I don't remember.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

E1 has already been integrated once. He can't have that record. Monica Strye class of 99 was a Jock. There may have been others. I don't remember.
Monica was 99
We had 3 in 00 (started with 4)
1 in 01 (think we started with a few more)
None in 02 made it long

I had a write up about it on here a while back. I'll see if I can find it.
Ol Jock 99
AG
From Feb 2017: https://texags.com/forums/63/topics/2833635/replies/48528573

E-1--A Story of a Failed Integration (a non-definitive history)

Disclaimer: I have zero doubt that I'm going to miss some points. I'll try to get a few of the guys on here to double check me and I'll correct. It's been 20 years.

Spring 1995: E1 has grown so large, that the decision is made to split it in 2 and reactivate D1. They do a fair job of keeping the future leaders evenly spread.

Fall 95/Spring 96: Enter the class of 99 (whoop), which, unknown to us at the time, will be the last non-integrated class for a while. Great CO, Good 1SG, who doesn't make grades (important). Typical all-male hijinks. Some growing pains from losing 1/2 the outfit, but a good time had by all.

Spring 96 Leadership selections: 1SG doesn't make grades and isn't up for CO. The guy who was assumed to be next in line, super hard-core Army contract, was tapped to start a new outfit (A2). Several good options left, but the Trigon went with a guy we'll call Joe. Joe was a kinder, gentler CT. In fact, the Trigon had asked him to write the book on how to be a good pisshead...by playing nice. Joe was also terribly overweight and out of shape. He couldn't lead the JOCKS on outfit runs. As you can imagine, Joe was not a popular choice. Several of the best zips-to-be went staff rather than stay under Joe.

Spring 96 Integration Time: The Trigon is on an integration push, and who better to lead it in one of the biggest (and best ) companies than Joe. So E1 is slated for integration. To help, a top-notch female c/o 99 is transferred in at the very end of our fish year. We'll call her W99 (she wore "wag" as a badge of honor). W99 is a great cadet. She was actually c/o 98, went non-reg her true fish year, and then joined as a Corps fish her 2nd year. She tried very hard, sometimes too hard, to be one of the guys. For our part, while we weren't excited, we accepted her and decided to make the best of it.

Fall 96/Spring 97: We are assigned 4 female fish. We hadn't recruited them; they were trigon assignments (which makes sense given the timing). 1 doesn't last FOW. The other 3 are committed to stick it out. 2 of them are perfectly average cadets, fine members of any company, but not "game-changers". 1 is a weirdo who I'm still shocked didn't punch. But she didn't. They follow W99's leadership well. However, the tone of the outfit has changed. A big part of this is having a CO we don't respect. But the typical all-male hijinks are gone, making things a lot more "all-business".

Spring 97 Leadership selections: This was where the integration failed in my opinion. The new c/o 98 CO is a good dude. The c/o 99 1SG is too, as are the other leadership positions. So why the failure? Because W99 went to Corps Staff (so did I for full disclosure). None of the W00s were strong enough to drive the integration agenda. (Note...this isn't a slight to them at all. That's a lot to ask of any Soph.)

Fall 97/Spring 98: Memory is a bit fuzzier here as I'm a staff rat, but our female census is 1 Jr staff rat, 3 PH, and 1 fish. There might have been another who punched; I don't recall. W01 is like the 2 W00s, nice enough and an average cadet, but not a needle mover. The 3rd W00 gets weirder, which doesn't do the integration movement any favors.

Fall 98/Spring 99: W99 becomes a Battalion CO, so is still away from the outfit. The 3 butt W00s are still there, as is the 1 pisshead W01, but there are no female fish that made it past 1st semester. There wasn't a move to keep them out, it just kind of happened. E1 had won the Jouine (best grades) award, and had been assigned a ton of fish who had little business being there ("well, sir, I'm worried about sonny/daughter making grades..." "no problem, we'll put them in E1"). The fish class was a bit of a mess due to this, so we had poor retention all around. It just included all of the females.

One note here: when the female fish punched out, it was a HUGE headache for outfit leadership. Much more so than when the guys punched. While I never saw this attitude expressed from my buddies, there had to be a "is this worth it" thought process, especially with recruiting.

Fall 99/Spring 00: The class of 99, including W99, are dead and gone. Things finally come to a head with the weird W00 and she transfers to a different outfit. Left are the 2 zip W00s and 1 butt W01. No female pissheads or fish.

2 years later: All male once again.

There is no real moral to this story other than I agree with the needing a critical mass of females to make it work. Doing it on a shoestring is tough, especially when the leader decides to go staff.

I'll also argue from a personal point-of-view that the idea "you have to be integrated to function in military/society" is complete and utter horse crap. The Corps isn't the military. It isn't the business world. It is a leadership lab in a setting where young folks are learning and growing up. You want every outfit integrated? Fine. But don't get caught thinking it is an imperative. It isn't.
CT'97
AG
Montgomery Burns said:

I'm curious when has the selection of the mascot corporal not been political?
CT'97
AG
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

PMC died a long time ago due to politics.
PMC changed because they couldn't stop breaking laws.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.