Back of Aircraft Carriers

4,208 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 74OA
coupland boy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

What is that grid structure at the very back. Hull protection?
74OA
AG
Swim platform.
RDCAG
It's called a stern dock. I've seen it used for two reasons. Hooking up a barge to it, so people can get on Ferry boats to go on shore, and my personal favorite, crabbing for some Dungeness crab while in port.
74OA
AG
......so my weak attempt at humor was actually not so far off?
coupland boy
AG
Well, i didn't believe you 74OA but yes i suppose it could be used for that and probably is.

Thanks RDC Ag. I thought it might be some sort of a protective measure if someone had to punch out just before landing but unless the hull is really thin there it would seem there are other far more vulnerable parts of the ship in an event like that.
bigtruckguy3500
Just in case anyone didn't know, the Navy does do open water swims. It is a bit of a pain, as it requires lots of approvals and even requires people to be on guard duty with rifles to shoot sharks, so it is kinda rare when it gets approved.
metrag06
AG
Article in Air & Space on this topic (swim call) - Everyone in the Ocean!
Rabid Cougar
AG
My Corps buddy who commanded General Dynamics Bath Iron Works says they are barge bumpers, as RDCAG described them. (Sorry, just saw your post)
74OA
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.