Military Challenge Coins

4,000 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by strbrst777
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone know of any good locations to find old challenge coins? I have my few from when I was in, but would like to start collecting them. I have been on E-Bay, but it is hard to decipher the real ones that are handed out by command to fakes that are on there.
clarythedrill
Most do not get rid of the coins they have earned. Those you see at most pawn shops or surplus stores are run of the mill over the counter coins. On Ebay, look for those that have the Commander and CSMs name on them, as those will be legit for sure. Even then, with all the units that have deactivated over the last several decades, it will be hard to tell which are real or not.

Edit: those that are numbered on the back are usually real also.
n_touch
That's what I have been looking for. You can easily tell a lot of the fake ones because they are so generic looking. I have only found a few that were numbered and jumped on those pretty quickly.
JABQ04
AG
Like clarythedrill said, surplus stores or online. Maybe find the companies that make them for units and see if they have extra or unwanted ones. I know I won't part with mine. Have some good ones in there.
n_touch
Thanks. I am the same with mine. I have found some good ones so far. I did email a couple companies that make them today and am waiting to here back from them.
Presley OBannons Sword
JABQ04
AG
Just out of curiosity are you collecting just to collect or trying to track down ones from previous units? In all honesty and no offense but I could care less for challenge coins i have zero connection too.
n_touch
I have mine from all of my old units and those are separate. For no real reason other than to collect. I had seen one out at a store and picked it up and just started from there.
wareagle044
Pretty cool idea to to collect. Mine aren't for sale, but I'd like to see some. I've got one from a 2* and one from the CSM of the Army Reserves
APHIS AG
Coins now have become very showy and impressive but my favorite one was the first coin I ever received which was from the Commanding General, V Corps, for coming in runner up for V Corps Soldier of the Quarter in 1978.

The coin itself is bland with no color but it did come from the Commanding General, V Corps.
Rabid Cougar
AG
I have an Assistant Secretary of Defense (4*) and a Chief of Engineers (3*) but my most prized and most significant were handed to me by the Navy Kunar PRT Lt. Commander (also Combat Patched from 26th ID, Mass. National Guard) and my Ol' Lady (1*) 90th Commandant, Navy District of Washington.
Direct Enter Enter
The first time I even heard the phrase "challenge coin" was on TV about five years ago, and I've been out for twenty. Are challenge coins some army thing that recently migrated over to the other branches?
Rabid Cougar
AG
Tailhookin Devilpup said:

The first time I even heard the phrase "challenge coin" was on TV about five years ago, and I've been out for twenty. Are challenge coins some army thing that recently migrated over to the other branches?
Don't know the origin or how long they have been around but yes sir , they are pretty prevalent across all services.

The earliest I became aware of them was when I went to the commissioning ceremony of the U.S.S Cole in the mid 90's. My O'l Lady handed me one. He is a plank holder from that boat.

n_touch
They have been around since WWI, but in a different formats. Over the years they have gotten more extravagant. Most of that probably just due to different technologies in the way they were printed. I would love to find some of the old ones from years ago.
DogCo84
AG
I was Army from 1982 to 1990. I never saw a challenge coin given, received or even displayed? It just wasn't a thing at that time in the Army--at least where I was stationed.

I work as a contractor with the USAF now...and challenge coins are everywhere. They seem to be used as unofficial "attaboys" or thank you tokens? Most units have a coin. Commanders/E9s have them to give out. The MWR rec center/bar on my base also has them--mostly as a souvenir available for purchase?
Noblemen06
AG
We're taught in the Air Force tradition that challenge coins are a part of our legacy dating back to WWI.

From an AF.mil article: "The true history of the challenge coin dates back to World War I, when an American pilot was shot down and captured in Germany.

While escaping from the grasp of the Germans, the pilot made his way to France, where they believed he was a spy and sentenced him to be executed. To prove his identity and save his life, he revealed a bronze medallion with his flying squadron's emblem, confirming that he was an American pilot. The French spared his life and celebrated by giving him a bottle of wine instead.

After this incident, it became a tradition that all members of the squadron carried their medallion, sparking challenge coins to become a trademark for military tradition and pride."

That's the same story I've heard since my ROTC days and perpetuated throughout my time on AD. Who knows how true it is but we all buy into it and love our challenge coins (and the free booze in the name of fellowship).
champagnepapi
clarythedrill said:

Most do not get rid of the coins they have earned. Those you see at most pawn shops or surplus stores are run of the mill over the counter coins. On Ebay, look for those that have the Commander and CSMs name on them, as those will be legit for sure. Even then, with all the units that have deactivated over the last several decades, it will be hard to tell which are real or not.

Edit: those that are numbered on the back are usually real also.

How's 1ABCT? I'm over at Bragg now. Quite the change of pace.
clarythedrill
Papi,

I have left also, up to Great Lakes Ill and 3rd BDE, Cadet Command. I left just a few weeks after Col. D changed command. Lets just say that there was a brigade wide sign of relief when the Colors were passed. The new commander seemed very down to earth and in touch with those in his command. Everything comes in cycles i guess.
strbrst777
I have two challenge coins that were presented to me by those named on the coins:

First was presented by Master Chief Petty Officer (E-9) Vince Patton. Vince was at the time Command Enlisted Advisor of the Atlantic Command, United States Coast Guard. Vince's next and final assignment was Master Chief of the United States Coast Guard (MCPO-CG) . He retired in 2009. While in the USCG, Vince earned a
PhD at American University.

Next was Frank Welch of Houston, Texas. Frank served as Command Enlisted Advisor of the ninth district (Great Lakes). Next he was School Chief of the CPO Academy at Petaluma, CA. Then assigned as officer-in-charge of a cutter (ship) ported at Bodega Bay, CA. That was Then followed by a four-year assignment as Master Chief Petty Officer of the United States Coast Guard. (He succeeded Patton). The challenge coin reads, MCPO-CG on one side and the anchor with three stars is on the other. (One star is Senior chief; two stars is Master Chief; and three stars is MCPO-CG) . Welch retired in 2009 after 26 years in the USCG. I know him well and speak with him often.

Both coins are about the size of a silver dollar.
At Frank's retirement ceremony at D.C., I met the then Sgt. Major of the Army, Sgt. Major of the Marine Corps, MCPO-Navy and the Chief Master Sgt. of the AF. (Should asked for coins, but I didn't.)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.