Syria - Why Tomahawks not Bombs?

3,599 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Msgt USAF Ret
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Obviously I don't need to know anything classified. And I'm not interested in discussing whether the missile strikes were legitimate/good/effective.

I'm just curious why we used missiles that cost $1M to $1.6M each (So $60M to $96M) to drop 1000lbs of explosives each.

Google tells me that a precision guided iron bomb costs anywhere from $20K to $40k. So 2.5% to 4% of the cost of the Tomahawks.

Of course, the loss of a single F-16 would be several million. Apparently they were $20M each when first built, the cost today would be much higher, I'm sure.

Do the Syrians have good (Russian) air defenses? I thought we were pretty good at avoiding/suppressing AAA.

Any thoughts?
bigtruckguy3500
My thoughts would be exactly what you're thinking. Costs aside, the fallout from an F16/15/18 going down would be pretty bad. Dealing with a rescue mission for the pilot and, or worse he could be captured, or even worse killed. I think Russian defenses could absolutely take down any of our non-stealth air craft with ease. And I'm sure they've invested a lot in R&D trying to figure out how to take down our stealth air craft.

Of course there is the cynical view that we haven't ordered cruise missiles in a while and we've got to keep the military industrial complex churning.
JABQ04
AG
Yep. We lose a plane or pilot then everyone would lose their ***** Cruise missiles not so much.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Quote:

Of course there is the cynical view that we haven't ordered cruise missiles in a while and we've got to keep the military industrial complex churning.
Essentially what I was thinking.

But... it probably also sends a nice little reminder to countries near the South China Sea and near the Sea of Japan without calling them out by name. You know - Trump 4D Chess and all.
Hey Nav
AG
Strike package would include taking out their radars, which would have Russians sitting there. So, we'd be targeting Russians.
Naveronski
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

My shop does work for Raytheon, who makes the tomahawks.

$$$

Bomb baby, bomb.
74OA
AG
Enough damage done to make our point clear to Assad......
Say Chowdah
AG
Never fly over an area where your exit strategy is questionable.

Lose a cruise missile and no one cares. Lose a pilot and you've got 'splanin to do.
Pro Sandy
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Navy said bombing Libya with cruise missiles actually saved us money because they needed to dispose of those cruise missiles anyway...
Rock1982
AG
There is an S-400 at Latakia.
EMY92
AG
Also, we wouldn't have used dumb bombs.

Either we would use the laser guided which would up the cost to about the same as the Tomahawk or GPS guided, which are a comparative value.
Noblemen06
AG
A Tomahawk is substantially more expensive than our "smart bombs." Our newest platforms for smart bombs aren't close to $1m a pop.

You have to keep in mind the strength and precision of the US' air power has been on display for several years in Syria and Iraq. The Navy, on the other hand, hasn't had as much to say in Operation Inherent Resolve, even though the Navy is the US' most impactful power-projection capability.

Therefore, I'd say the Tomahawk option probably had more to do with:
1. Reemphasis of US Naval power to the world
2. Expending aging weapons instead of demilitarizing and
3. Less risk than flying over a hostile air base with Russian fighters nearby
74OA
AG
........the correct answer is #3. There was no upside in risking having the chastisement of Syria turn into a physical confrontation with Russia. Cruise missiles were simply the best tool for that particular job.
Noblemen06
AG
No doubt that would be the most important reason but I am positive they chose the option with the most advantageous effects (across the DIME spectrum) beyond simply destroying a target.
BoozerRed78
AG
Because a bombing request would take 6 months to get through Air Force bureaucracy for final approval. And that's with "presidential priority".
easttexasaggie04
AG

"My shop does work for Raytheon, who makes the tomahawks.

$$$

Bomb baby, bomb."

Well my shop makes fuze components for precision guided bombs. So I say, use real bombs!
Rabid Cougar
AG
Rock1982 said:

Which apparently doesn't work against cruise missiles.
Brewskis
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Rock1982 said:

Not necessarily. Why would the Russians waste 59+ very expensive missiles to take out something that wasn't targeting any of their people. We did give them a heads up prior to the strike.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Brewskis said:

Rabid Cougar said:

Rock1982 said:

Not necessarily. Why would the Russians waste 59+ very expensive missiles to take out something that wasn't targeting any of their people. We did give them a heads up prior to the strike.
True.
Get Off My Lawn
There's also an "I'm staying out of this" factor that gets blurred when you insert your people into the battlespace (which includes the sky above). Maintaining that perceived distance is well worth the expense - which will be virtually unnoticed to the Navy, let alone the DoD.
farmer95
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

"My shop does work for Raytheon, who makes the tomahawks.

$$$

Bomb baby, bomb."

Well my shop makes fuze components for precision guided bombs. So I say, use real bombs!
My name is farmer95, I work for Raytheon and I approve this message. (We actually make both)
farmer95
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

FYI the Navy buys cruise misses every single year and they will continue to do so if they (or Congress) want to keep the production line active
easttexasaggie04
AG
Awesome. Our fuze parts go to General Dynamics - OTS.
Msgt USAF Ret
Also you don't have to squawk on IFF/SIF to penetrate their ADIZ with a Tomahawk
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.