BQ Question

3,723 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
aggiejim70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Idle curiosity on my part. When did the FTAB unit designations change from White and Maroon Bands to Artillery and Infantry, and what was the reason for the change. I suppose I could look this up in copies of the Aggieland at Aggie Park, but I'm just to lazy to do so.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
CanyonAg77
AG
aggiejim70 said:

Idle curiosity on my part. When did the FTAB unit designations change from White and Maroon Bands to Artillery and Infantry, and what was the reason for the change. I suppose I could look this up in copies of the Aggieland at Aggie Park, but I'm just to lazy to do so.
Back in 1893, it was just "The Band." At some point when ROTC began (I'm guessing late teens to 1920s) and cadets had to pick a branch, it became INF and ART Bands, probably because it was too big to administer under one unit.

I believe it was when AFROTC was split off in the 1950s, the branch designations also went away. So the names were changed to Maroon and White (ART and INF, respectively) Our guidons still used variations of the crossed rifles and crossed cannon, and we considered ourselves INF or ART.

By the time I was a BQ, the band was at over 300 (male) cadets, at a time when many CT units were 30 cadets or so it was hurting the Band for things like General Moore Award, because for the size of the Band, we had very few commanders, and very few high cadet ranks, thus very few RVs or other positions that counted for awards.

Not to mention, having only 2-4 RVs per class meant that lots of qualified people were not getting RV, when they would have if they were CO or XO of a 30 man CT unit.

Finally, it was just hard to administer that big of a unit, and lots of good people were not getting positions. Splitting into smaller units changed that. It also allowed us to have battalion level commanders. Basically, the Combined Band CO went from 2 diamonds to 3, added the 2 Batt level commanders with 2 diamonds, and now there were four 1 diamond unit commanders where there used to be two.

The change was made at Final Review 1976, for the 1976-77 school year. We went to four units, A and B Company Infantry Band, and A and B Battery Artillery Band. All the personnel were jumbled, so that the folks who were in either Maroon or White were now split evenly among the four units. There was quite a bit of Maroon vs. White rivalry, so it has hoped that fruit basket turnover would lessen rivalries.
Warrior 66
I was a fish in Maroon Band in 1975-76, and became a pisshead in B Company, Infantry Band in 1976-77. I stayed in B Company until I commanded that outfit my senior year, 1978-79.

At the time I never knew exactly why they made the change, but it worked for us, and has worked well ever since. I think Canyon Ag, who was one of my upperclassmen during that time, described the change and the reasons behind it very well.

Beat the Hell Outta K-State!
ABATTBQ87
AG
1935-36:

ABATTBQ87
AG
1939-40 Infantry and Artillery

ABATTBQ87
AG
1947-48 Maroon & White Band

BQ78
AG
The change did not effect the rivalry between the two bands as expected and the B Co. guys still thought/think they were the cat's meow (sorry, general!).
Then there was the Pink Band that has survived the change from color to branch. But that is another story!
CanyonAg77
AG
BQ78 said:

The change did not effect the rivalry between the two bands as expected and the B Co. guys still thought/think they were the cat's meow (sorry, general!).
Well, B CO was certainly the top outfit in my day. In spite of Otto.

aggiejim70
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

BQ78 said:

Well, B CO was certainly the top outfit in my day. In spite of Otto.

Whoa big fellow.........No matter the year, what happened in Happy Happy Herrington needs to stay there. No need to name names, I'm pretty sure his older brother was my classmate.

By the way thanks for the info Army. General, I almost threw a Maroon Band comment your way, but I'm going to let it go.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
CanyonAg77
AG
Otto is still a friend. Which is why I can give him heck. I've never met any of his siblings.
HollywoodBQ
AG
BQ78 said:

We still do

Sure enjoyed catching up with everybody at our B-Co 40th reunion back in late October. Even enjoyed visiting with a couple of A-Co guys who tried to roach in on our party.
Wildman15
AG
When C-Batt and C-Co reappeared at the end of my sophomore year, there was rumor that they would actually be A-troop and B-troop. Would have been interesting to see that dynamic of 3 minor units in one major unit.
The Kraken
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

1935-36:

I'd love to see BQ's with white Sam Browne belts again.
aggiejim70
AG
New World Ag said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

1935-36:

I'd love to see BQ's with white Sam Browne belts again.
White Sam Brown Belts were for blowers, we beaters didn't have to wear one. Exception was the Aggieland photo when you had to borrow one from a bud in the other band. I'm going to hedge my bet, lost in the mists of time, I'm not sure if bass horn blowers wore them during drills.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
93Spur
Look in Powell's book for an authoritative answer.
As I recall (could be wrong) Band was just "Band" through 1939.
1939-1940 is first appearance of Infantry and Artillery Bands.
ROTC started by 1919. Through 1930, the Band existed, but the individuals therein were also in another unit. For example, E.V. Adams was in the Band and in Co C. Infantry.
Yearbooks are available online in searchable form.
http://bookreader.library.tamu.edu/book.php?id=yb1938&getbook=Go#page/n211/mode/2up/search/band
ABATTBQ87
AG
93Spur said:

Look in Powell's book for an authoritative answer.
As I recall (could be wrong) Band was just "Band" through 1939.
1939-1940 is first appearance of Infantry and Artillery Bands.
ROTC started by 1919. Through 1930, the Band existed, but the individuals therein were also in another unit. For example, E.V. Adams was in the Band and in Co C. Infantry.
Yearbooks are available online in searchable form.
http://bookreader.library.tamu.edu/book.php?id=yb1938&getbook=Go#page/n211/mode/2up/search/band
Images I posted are from the yearbooks
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.