Best small towns near San Antonio

6,935 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Martin Cash
aggieSO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are some of the best small towns in south texas to live in within an hour or so of San Antonio?

Towns like hondo, uvalde, floresville, cotulla, Tilden, etc would you want to live in any of these towns?
Red Pear Medina
Sponsor
AG
Are you looking for rural or suburban?

Rural wise- You're in the right area going South/Southwest. Hondo is a great little town. Castroville is between Hondo and SA and also an up and coming suburb-ish. It's easy in-and-out of SA depending on where work is. You could also go north/east to the Seguin area.

Suburban- head up 35. Schertz, New Braunfels, San Marcos, etc.

Happy to help you when you're ready to look for housing - I split my commission with Buyers.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
aggieSO
Rural. I actually already live in San Antonio, just trying to gauge some opinions as I plan to move to a small town in the next few years.

I'm a big fan of Castroville but i don't like how the city has grown to it. I feel like floresville still has more of that small town vibe (maybe cause it's further from the north side), but I also wouldn't mind living further out from the city as opposed to right on the edge.

I like hondo too but worried the growth will continue west on 90
Beckdiesel03
AG
Are school districts important? My guess is no with some of the towns you suggested. That's a huge part of the deciding factor.
Red Pear Medina
Sponsor
AG
Gotcha - Yes, it will continue to expand down 90, but I think there's a good stretch between Castroville and Hondo. It'll be a while before it hits Hondo.

On the opposite side of SA and maybe a little further, there is the Nixon / Smiley area that is small, access to good schools, and not a terrible commute. You'd come in on 87 in La Vernia.

I also would note what Beck said above - if you have kids be sure to look into the districts in some of those small towns below SA. There are several I wouldn't send my kids to.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Treman 92
AG
I prefer a little farther out than most which is why I like the thought of settling down in a town like Mason which is about 35 miles northwest of Fredericksburg…
p_bubel
Bandera, Blanco and Kerrville/Comfort
MookieBlaylock
AG
News Braunsfles is a nice little town
MookieBlaylock
AG
BurnetAggie99
Some been already mentioned but I'd also say La Verina, St. Hedwig, Stockdale, Devine
LCE
AG
Bandera is the answer.
aggieSO
I like mason too. My grandmother was born there and some of our ancestors were judges in that county.
BurnetAggie99
Might as well throw in Johnson City/Stonewall/Blanco since Mason is being mentioned.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Im so sick of you out of towners moving to New Braunfels. Since I got here last year we've really become overrun with you idiots who cant use the roundabout.
The Lurker
AG
aggieSO said:

What are some of the best small towns in south texas to live in within an hour or so of San Antonio?

Towns like hondo, uvalde, floresville, cotulla, Tilden, etc would you want to live in any of these towns?
Every good small town has a Dairy Queen and there ain't no Dairy Queen in Tilden.
aggieSO
Could also be because the town is insanely small. I think the school district is supposed to be good though
TX AG 88
AG
What's your limit on commute time? Tilden and Johnson City are not a quick trip...
TX AG 88
AG
Doh, just re-read the OP.

He said hour (for a minute I thought I read "half hour").

Even so, Tilden and Uvalde are only doable if you're headed to somewhere on the outskirts of SA in that hour. Would help to know your destination in town.
poet0715
AG
p_bubel said:

Bandera, Blanco and Kerrville/Comfort

These would have been my recommendations as well.
beccaboo
Poth. Good people, good schools.
An L of an Ag
AG
We flipped a house in Floresville 2 years ago and kinda liked the town and area around it.
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
+1 for Castroville. I hear it's about to really take off!
Beckdiesel03
AG
You need to keep that place a secret
aggieSO
If I moved to say Tilden or uvalde, I would get a work from home job or find something in a nearby small town. Wouldn't expect to commute to San Antonio.

I could realistically live as far south as the valley, but I know the towns around San Antonio seem to have a better reputation
aggieSO
Poth and falls city seem like great towns
Rattler12
Ecleto, TX for the win

Reload8098
AG
We've only been here two years and while we bought lots in both Vintage Oaks (Bulverde) and Vintage Oaks (New Braunfels), we're thinking about building in Fredericksburg, in a non HOA environment as well as homeschooling our 5 year old. May still wind up in Boerne and sending him to Geneva but really want to live in a small town environment and a slighter cooler climate. Knoxville spoiled us from both a weather standpoint and a cost of living (property taxes are nuts here).
scoodogg
AG
If schools are important, here are the TEA report card grades of the San Antonio area schools. Very tiny schools like Poth, Falls City, McMullen County, D'Hanis, etc will struggle with providing a wide variety of options, but have many benefits. CTE programs tend to be limited, so keep that in mind. If going to college and wanting to pursue a more challenging degree, you might also miss out on more rigorous prep classes that those schools just can't offer.

GT_Aggie2015
AG
Marion?
maxwrohr
AG
Boerne is a great town!
Four Seasons Landscaping
I haven't lived in that area in a while but based on what I remember from 20 years ago, y'all are interchangeably throwing town names around that are insanely different, culturally speaking.

You need to be pretty specific on what you want.

Do you want to live in the oil patch?

Are you more comfortable with predominantly Hispanic, good ol'boy Pollocks, hoity toity white folk, or grumpy old Germans?

Do you prefer too many ****ing mesquite trees, too many ****ing cedar trees, or gigantic oak trees that make the lots unaffordable?
TikkaShooter
Listen to this guy
LCE
AG
Why? Hasn't lived here in 20 years. And actually didn't contribute anything
TikkaShooter
Bc the cultural descriptors he gave haven't changed an iota.
Reload8098
AG
We visited Geneva School in Boerne today. Really impressed with their curriculum. I doubt there are any HOAs around Boerne that would allow me to build my house myself and I don't want to pay "full retail." Delimma
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.