Pros & Cons of the Boerne/Fair Oaks Area

2,610 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Lurker
XXXVII
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking to buy a home in the Boerne/Fair Oaks area, but I want to make sure I'm doing my due diligence. What are the general pros/cons to living here?

Specifically, I am also wondering about the following:

1. Are there any foundation issues to worry about? What type of soil is it?

2. Any crazy high water bills or other water issues to worry about?

3. Do homes in this area get natural gas service?

Whitetail
AG
1) it is rock, no foundation trouble.
2) if SAWS, yes.
3) of course
XXXVII
I think where I'm looking is SAWS. What's an average water bill like during the summer? Assuming no pool...
Picard
AG
Boerne is full.

Summer SAWS bill can easily be $500+ per month. My parents bill last month was $860.

XXXVII
How much water do they use per month in the summer?
Picard
AG
You have to understand that SAWS (water) and CPS (power) are corrupt organizations run by the Democrats in charge of the City of San Antonio. Those two organizations exist to extract as much money from those they can in order to fund the whims of those in charge of this city.

Providing revenue for the City of San Antonio is their primary purpose. Therefore they have a tiered pricing structure with a steep climb in price as you use more. Anything besides indoor-only water use is going to cost you dearly.
Nom de Plume
AG
We live in FOR on SAWS water. We used between 35-42k gallons and paid $510-624 the last three months. We have a pool and half acre lot but probably irrigate half of it.

CPS bill was even higher those three months (work from home, 76* day / 72* night in energy efficient 4k sf).

Foundation generally shouldn't be an issue. I suppose there are some places in the area that actually have soil and might have some shifting, but generally you're building on rock.

Boerne/FOR are busy now. If you're looking for true hill country experience you'd have to start on the north end of Boerne and look north or west. If you're good with they hybrid city/hill country feel then FOR is a good place to start. Traffic to 1604 is easy and its nice to be near several grocery stores, 20mins to airport, etc.

If you're looking at a SAWS area you likely would have natural gas. But there are plenty of homes in the Boerne/FOR area that use propane.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I don't live in Boerne (because I heard it's full) but you shouldn't expect foundation problems. SAWS bill is what you make of it. More xeriscaping the better since you have a high potential of being eaten out of yard and landscaping by starved deer. If you want a lush green lawn to walk on, you have to put money to it since the soil will be thin and dry out constantly. The tiered pricing can really get up there fast.

This is only anecdotal evidence, but I had a former employee that had a house built in one of the 100s of subdivisions up there and he had roof problems and electrical problems. I'd be careful if buying used and get an inspection done by someone really trustworthy if you are in one of those neighborhoods. If you are going further out and new, no worries then other than having a very good builder.

And I don't trust ANY SAWS employee, they are all commie trash.*

*sort of joking

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
eiggA2002
AG
Picard said:

Boerne is full.

Summer SAWS bill can easily be $500+ per month. My parents bill last month was $860.

This is not even remotely close to normal. I'm on SAWS and water regularly with sprinkler system and have a pool with an autofill and I'm $130 - $250/month. 3,200 SF with a wife and 2 kids. I have 0.75 acres, but not all sprinklered. The parts not covered by the sprinkler system are mostly covered by the septic sprayers.
KLohse 04
AG
XXXVII said:

I'm looking to buy a home in the Boerne/Fair Oaks area, but I want to make sure I'm doing my due diligence. What are the general pros/cons to living here?

Best thing you can do is contact me and let me help you as a local mortgage lender.

All kidding aside, I have several Aggie realtor contacts in the Boerne area. Shoot me a DM and I can get you in touch with them.
rgag12
AG
Picard said:

Boerne is full.

What the heck. Are you running schliterbahn in your backyard?
TikkaShooter
Quote:

You have to understand that SAWS (water) and CPS (power) are corrupt organizations run by the Democrats in charge of the City of San Antonio. Those two organizations exist to extract as much money from those they can in order to fund the whims of those in charge of this city.

Sometimes I think I can't read anything more crazy on the interwebs.

Then I clicked this thread.
bam02
AG
That's exactly what bureaucracies do. This isn't really an opinion.
TikkaShooter
Um, no.

They set rates on usage.

Water and it's deliverability isn't free.

So then you get guys like Pic who apparently use ALLLL the water, have an astronomical bill, then blame "the left".

Lol. It's laughable. "Someone else be responsible for my actions pleaezee". Give me a break.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Typical liberal response, you just can't help yourself can you.
Nom de Plume
AG
I don't understand how/why this entire site has gone to **** with politics.
Bluff Rat
AG
It really has. There was a similar thread about the Spring Branch area and that guy was being an ass.
The Lurker
AG
XXXVII said:

Larger lots, good schools, an area with higher net worth households (and benefits that go along with that). Boerne has a nice small town charm and neat town events. The Rim and La Canterra are close. You live the high life, become a member at Cordillera Ranch then play a round, grab dinner at Silo then buy a Ferrari before heading home for the evening.

Some parts still in Bexar county. I'm told Bexar county has higher insurance costs for auto and home. Not sure on property taxes.

I-10 construction just completed and finishing in Boerne so don't need to worry about future messes. Cons would if you're commuting into San Antonio, one car wreck on I-10 into SA and you're adding 30 minutes to commute. Plus the I-10/1604 interchange construction will be a mess (but all of 1604 on the northside is under construction.

My opinion is you will still see development in the I-10 corridor but probably less of the cookie-cutter neighborhoods like you see in New Braunfels and Bulverde areas that cover the hills and clear-cut trees and pack in an many houses as they can.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.