Private School

3,213 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MookieBlaylock
JR2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seeking recommendations for private schools in San Antonio, ideally Christian schools but open to any good recommendations. Oldest child is still a couple years from going to kindergarten and want plenty of time to do my due diligence. Live near and work in the med center. Thanks in advance.
MookieBlaylock
AG
St George
JR2007
AG
What do you like about St George's? I've never heard anything about it and assuming I checked out the correct website, I'm a little turned off by all the pictures of masked children.
A New Hope
My daughter went to Concordia from 1-7 grade then to SACS from 8-10. Unfortunately we found that the 'Christian' label did not translate to the kids attending nor to the admin of the schools. My daughter was bullied terribly at both schools by clique of girls without anything done at Concordia (a lot of church members there) and minimal at SACS.

We moved her to ISA for 11-12 grade and she's done SO much better. The kids are much more diverse (culturally and socioeconomically) and despite few Christians attending, the kids and teachers are very welcoming and accepting. I only wish we'd moved her sooner.

utah, get me two
i hear the episcopal schools are pretty elitist
dg77ag
AG
One of my daughters works and lives near the medical center and sends her daughter to St. Matthews on Wurzbach. She has been very happy with the school.
A New Hope
utah, get me two said:

i hear the episcopal schools are pretty elitist
I know a several people who have their kids at st George and st Luke's and st Mary's hall. I'm sure it's just my sample but not a single one of them is a practicing Christian. Those schools listed are for people who want their kid to go to the 'it school'. That's my opinion.

utah, get me two
No that's pretty much what I've heard as well, the Catholic private schools definitely have an emphasis on religion
Hullabaque
AG
Christian School at Castle Hill's. It's heavier on the Christ-centered education focus than a lot of Christian schools in the area. I'd suggest attending an open house. The superintendent, Michael Pinkston, is an incredible Christian leader and educator.
DavisGary88
I would go with Great Hearts academy of could do it again. My 3 youngest went to cornerstone until 6th.
MookieBlaylock
AG
JR2007 said:

What do you like about St George's? I've never heard anything about it and assuming I checked out the correct website, I'm a little turned off by all the pictures of masked children.

Didnt see any masks today
Pros excellent educatuon and superior to St Matthews
Small campus that is very friendly

STL_aTm
AG
We are about to start his journey as well. Geneva in Boerne is at the top of our list right now. Anyone with experience there?
loveaTm
AG
STL_aTm said:

We are about to start his journey as well. Geneva in Boerne is at the top of our list right now. Anyone with experience there?

FWIW, I don't have any direct experience except every kid I know at Geneva is great and their parents love the school. My kids went to public school (and turned out great but that was a few years ago) but if I'd had the means to put them in private school, it would have been Geneva.
msaggie98
AG
STL_aTm said:

Boerne Geneva is on the list of schools that we were told not to go to, due to the elitist attitude. We ended up living in New Braunfels and our kids go to New Braunfels Christian Academy.
msaggie98
AG
Hullabaque said:

Christian School at Castle Hill's. It's heavier on the Christ-centered education focus than a lot of Christian schools in the area. I'd suggest attending an open house. The superintendent, Michael Pinkston, is an incredible Christian leader and educator.

Our kids go to New Braunfels Christian Academy and we play Castle Hills in sports. They seem like a great school and good kids. I've heard only positive things!
RJT98
Check out CHUMS (Colonial Hills United Methodist) for kinder. Christian School at Castle Hills is great. And Great Hearts, although not private, is a good option. My kids have gone to all three.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

JR2007 said:

We took our youngest daughter out of St Matthew's and moved her to St George. Much harder curriculum. I consider myself to have some knowledge in this area. We lived in every major city in TX because of my work in the oilfield. Three girls all in private school. All Catholic until St George. Oldest graduated from Antonian and just brought home a 4.0 In her freshman year at CO School of Mines.

The bottom line is you get what you pay for in private schools. You call call the expensive ones elite if you want but at the end of the day the school will have better resources. St George is about $1,250 per month for 10 months a year. STM was half that and it showed. A lot of s***head kids and they built a 3MM gym on campus when they already had one. Hosting CYO was more important than the family of skunks that lived under the portable buildings next to the parking lot.
petroleo y agua
Alamo Heights Christian School

Www.ahchristianschool.com
JR2007
AG
A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

MookieBlaylock said:

JR2007 said:

We took our youngest daughter out of St Matthew's and moved her to St George. Much harder curriculum. I consider myself to have some knowledge in this area. We lived in every major city in TX because of my work in the oilfield. Three girls all in private school. All Catholic until St George. Oldest graduated from Antonian and just brought home a 4.0 In her freshman year at CO School of Mines.

The bottom line is you get what you pay for in private schools. You call call the expensive ones elite if you want but at the end of the day the school will have better resources. St George is about $1,250 per month for 10 months a year. STM was half that and it showed. A lot of s***head kids and they built a 3MM gym on campus when they already had one. Hosting CYO was more important than the family of skunks that lived under the portable buildings next to the parking lot.

Is there a faith based component to the curriculum? Where do kids typically go to high school after St George?
russaggie
AG
JR2007 said:

A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

MookieBlaylock said:

JR2007 said:

Is there a faith based component to the curriculum? Where do kids typically go to high school after St George?
Most of the kids from St. George either end up going to TMI if they want to stay in the Episcopal system or they go to Antonian since it's right down the street.
Whens lunch
AG
russaggie said:

JR2007 said:

A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

MookieBlaylock said:

JR2007 said:

Most of the kids from St. George either end up going to TMI if they want to stay in the Episcopal system or they go to Antonian since it's right down the street.

We live in Northside, so our daughter went to Clark, then the North East School of the Arts. Our son, on the other hand left St George after 6th grade and went Hobby and the Science and Engineering Academy at Jay.

Most classmates went to Antonian. A few went to TMI

This was quite awhile ago. Kids are now 30 and 32.
MookieBlaylock
AG
My son goes to Central and my daughter hasnt decided as she is a swimmer and will choose based on that
TMI St Marys Hall and Antonian are most common as is Central
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.