Just took a job in San Antonio.....

2,446 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cancia
gomerschlep
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags,

I currently live in Fort Worth but just accepted a job in San Antonio at University Medical Center. I'll be working 2 24 hours shifts a week, preferably stacked 24 on, 24 off, 24 on. My son is in a good school in Fort Worth and we bought a house last year in a neighborhood that we love, so I'm thinking about commuting down to work my hitch for 3 days then go spend my 6 days off back in Fort Worth.

My initial plan was to get an RV and keep it just north of town in an RV park to stay in on my 24 hours off in between shifts... but I would also consider a studio apartment or renting a room from someone if that was a cheaper option. I'd like to be within an hour of the hospital, but I'm not super familiar with the area?

Any thoughts or recommendations from locals? If you were in this situation how would you approach it? We have talked about possibly relocating permanently in the next year or so depending on how it goes (my wife travels so she simply needs to be within an hour of a major airport).
Obi Wan Ginobili
Wouldn't it make the most sense to just AirBNB/VRBO the cheapest room you can find for 1-2 days a week? Sounds like your day off in between would be mostly for sleeping right?
Obi Wan Ginobili
I was curious and just looked at AirBNB for a few minutes, and you can rent a single room in someones house within 15-20 minutes of UMC for less than $50 per night.

If that's not your cup of tea, I don't blame you, as it's kind of unusual, but it's way easier to rent a room for a couple nights and be on your way than to go through the trouble of buying an RV just for this.
AggieRob93
AG
Concerning the AirBNB route, OP might be able to work with an owner and set up a long term rental to match the needs for staying in San Antonio, allowing both the owner some flexibility and OP some potential savings. Block off the days of need for the OP, and the owner can rent around those dates.

Just a thought.
gomerschlep
AG
I had considered the Airbbnb option, but I think the wife and I like the RV idea simply because we can also use it in our off time... How bad would the commute be from say, Blanco into San Antonio? Keeping in mind it's 24 hours shifts so I really only need to come into town two times per week in a hitch.... If we don't go that route, what's the area around UMC like? If it's no good, what ares should I look into renting? Are detached garage apartments a thing in SA like they are in Fort Worth?
sklipes
If you go the RV route I have a concrete slab in my backyard with gate access that I don't mind letting you use. I am just east of downtown with no HOA restrictions so RV would be no issue. I am maybe 20 mins from Med Center.

There are no hookups but if you make it a longer term solution then can be added.
Obi Wan Ginobili
gomerschlep said:

I had considered the Airbbnb option, but I think the wife and I like the RV idea simply because we can also use it in our off time... How bad would the commute be from say, Blanco into San Antonio? Keeping in mind it's 24 hours shifts so I really only need to come into town two times per week in a hitch.... If we don't go that route, what's the area around UMC like? If it's no good, what ares should I look into renting? Are detached garage apartments a thing in SA like they are in Fort Worth?

The drive from Blanco to UMC is going to be a hike. I guess twice a week wouldn't be terrible, but it's a lot of traffic, winding road, and San Antonio is notorious for slow drivers.

I would avoid the area around UMC.

Detached garages aren't a big thing down here, but there are definitely scattered neighborhoods with them.
LCE
AG
Blanco to MC is within an hour. Places near MC is fine. Anything below 410 is a no go.
MookieBlaylock
AG
My sister has a 1 bed bath tiny house in the backyard that they rwnt out

may suit your needs

She lives at 281 and 1604
NastyNate
You'd be wise to stay away from the Medical center and UTSA. Lots of crime. There are plenty of places north of 1604 off I-10. With the money you're talking about spending on an RV, you could get a 1-bedroom apt or any number of places to stay in when you are in town.

If/when you relocate permanently, there are plenty of options in that same area off I-10 north of 1604. Getting to the medical center exit will take 10-15 minutes depending on how far out you go.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

My sister has a 1 bed bath tiny house in the backyard that they rwnt out

may suit your needs

She lives at 281 and 1604
This sounds like a solid option. Blanco area would be a haul, nice drive until you hit the area north of 1604. The Timberwood park to Stone Oak is just a complete ass whip for me the few times I have to travel it.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Ironically, if you are at 1604 and 281 it is faster to get to the med center by driving 281s to 410 and then taking 410 west to the Fredericksburg or Babcock exit. 1604 to I-10E takes longer. HTH

Edited, fat fingers sorry
cancia
I was in the same situation 4 years ago. We moved from the Fort Worth area. We ended moving because of the traffic on IH35, at times it would take me 6-7 hours to get home. We settled at Alamo Ranch area. I would recommend you move, the traffic in this town Is very heavy, you and your family will like it here if you like FTW. We really like it, there are some good schools. Feel free to DM.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.