Moving to SA

3,948 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 12law
Jason C.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where'd you end up, OP?

Just came in for a third vote for Alamo Heights, Olmos Park, or Terrell Hills if you're still looking. All three are independent municipalities with their own police and fire, and all served by AHISD, which doesn't affect you with no kids but it's as good as government schools in a big city can be. That means generally better neighbors. I wouldn't live anywhere else in SA except for maybe the south end of Broadway near the Pearl if I were in the single/no kids phase and actually enjoyed hike/bike/downtown stuff. I do, but I wouldn't live there if I didn't. King William and environs are also great but I'd never recommend some internet rando new to town live there unless I knew them well.

Don't do Med Center unless you're just in love with walking to work or something.

Bienvenidos!
12law
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jason C. said:

Where'd you end up, OP?

Just came in for a third vote for Alamo Heights, Olmos Park, or Terrell Hills if you're still looking. All three are independent municipalities with their own police and fire, and all served by AHISD, which doesn't affect you with no kids but it's as good as government schools in a big city can be. That means generally better neighbors. I wouldn't live anywhere else in SA except for maybe the south end of Broadway near the Pearl if I were in the single/no kids phase and actually enjoyed hike/bike/downtown stuff. I do, but I wouldn't live there if I didn't. King William and environs are also great but I'd never recommend some internet rando new to town live there unless I knew them well.

Don't do Med Center unless you're just in love with walking to work or something.

Bienvenidos!

I initially was going to rent a house in the Apple Creek neighborhood of the medical district. It was a normal house in a normal neighborhood. I wanted a 13 month lease so we could move out in Spring Break 2022 (wife is a teacher) and the owner said no. He would only do a 12 month lease. I politely told him to kiss off in response. I would recommend the neighborhood, just not the owner or the rental company he used.

Time then became of the essence so I grabbed an apartment. It's at the Colonnade, which is right behind the Omni Hotel off I-10. It's nice, has a lot of younger people, is affordable, and a lot people here have pets too. I like the area and would recommend as well.

I appreciate all the input. Alamo Heights and such was really nice, but it was further and I don't want to be house poor. The idea now is to save as much as I can.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.