Moving to SA

3,980 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 12law
12law
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm moving to San Antonio. I've never lived there. Work will be near I 10 and 410 on the northwest side. I'll be renting a spot. Any tips on what areas not to live in? And what are the good parts of town.
p_bubel
What kind of neighborhood are you looking for?
12law
AG
p_bubel said:

What kind of neighborhood are you looking for?

Somewhere affordable and safe.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Downtown
Hice89
AG
The huge Medical Center us not all that far away from the IH-10/Loop 410 intersection, so finding an apartment will be easy. It all comes down to inspecting the properties.
12law
AG
Hice89 said:

The huge Medical Center us not all that far away from the IH-10/Loop 410 intersection, so finding an apartment will be easy. It all comes down to inspecting the properties.

Thanks!
Hendrix
AG
Are you single?
NastyNate
Affordable...yes. Safe? Not so much. I'd stay away from Medical Center. It's not the ghetto but there are better places to live that are affordable and safe. Stay away from UTSA area but north of 1604 off I10 is really nice and has a ton of supply so you could probably find a good deal. It's an easy drive down I10 to 10/410.
12law
AG
Hendrix said:

Are you single?
No, but we don't have any children, either. Just a couple dogs.
p_bubel
12law said:

Hendrix said:

Are you single?

Do you still enjoy going out to bars and restaurants or do y'all stay in?
sklipes
Have a house in Dignowity that might be available for rent depending on my work situation in April. Just putting that out there.

Less than a mile from Pearl, Riverwalk, & downtown breweries/restaurants. Love the area & feel safe enough to walk or ride my bike nearly everywhere but certain spots can be intimidating. Great for commute to work area too.
magscientist14
AG
All depends on your price range and interests. The different parts of town have gems and also scary areas, do your research. Whenever I have moved to a new city I usually look at the crime and types of crime in the area before looking at rentals, then after checking the rental out I will drive by the place a couple times to see how the neighborhood is in daylight and nighttime. Sometimes if a neighbor is out I'll ask about their experience too.
gigemags-99
AG
Whatever you do, don't move to Boerne. It is terrible
azul_rain
i hear marbach is nice this time of year
End Of Message
AG
I have a rental property in Terrell Hills available.
12law
AG
p_bubel said:

12law said:

Hendrix said:

Are you single?

Do you still enjoy going out to bars and restaurants or do y'all stay in?

Not too much. We mostly stay in.
12law
AG
Pinche Abogado said:

I have a rental property in Terrell Hills available.

Let me know the address and cost. I'm interested as long as the area is safe. I live in El Paso and I've only visited the Medical Center and near Eilan/the Rim area.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
We live in Alamo Heights and are very happy and thankful for the school district-although it is not the cheapest it is worth it for safety, access, and community.

You might also check out the Shavano Park area although with traffic your commute would be about the same. I work in the medical center and my commute is about 25 minutes from Alamo Heights unless there is a wreck.
Halconblack
AG
Paul,
Stop falling down on the job! This is an old one but a great starting point.
https://texags.com/forums/62/topics/2006777/1

My wife works for Phyllis Browning (shameless plug) if you need someone to get you into see any options send her a note:
btorrez@phyllisbrowning.com

v/r
End Of Message
AG
Emotional Support Statue said:

We live in Alamo Heights and are very happy and thankful for the school district-although it is not the cheapest it is worth it for safety, access, and community.

You might also check out the Shavano Park area although with traffic your commute would be about the same. I work in the medical center and my commute is about 25 minutes from Alamo Heights unless there is a wreck.

We live in Terrell Hills and second this post. It is worth it to live in the '09 bubble.
GCRanger
AG
We are in Northwood and love it. The bubble is legit.
Bluff Rat
AG
I think you should move to the Bulverde area. There was that one post in which the guy was happy everyone was moving out there. What's one more?
12law
AG
Bluff Rat said:

I think you should move to the Bulverde area. There was that one post in which the guy was happy everyone was moving out there. What's one more?

That's right. People like that need to get over themselves.
The Dog Lord
AG

Wife and I live just south of Shavano Park. We love this spot. We have access to I-10, 1604, 410, and Wurzbach parkway, so there are options for getting around easily. Quick access to airport, decent amount of things nearby at Alon and Huebner Oaks, and easy to get to the Rim and other areas. Most neighborhoods in the area are pretty nice, and there is a limited amount of new construction that can occur, so not overly concerned about traffic getting a lot worse.
Rattler12
12law said:

Bluff Rat said:

We probably would.....if the people moving out here from "the city" wouldn't try to change things from the way they are into what they left in "the city" . I was on the board of our HOA and you'd be surprised at what newcomers ask for....street lights, side walks, speed bumps, bicycle lanes, manicured lawns, no outside burning, regular drive by's by the sheriff's dept, park facilities, getting rid of the deer populations because they ate their landscape, getting rid of the raccoon population because they ate their cat's food, getting rid of the skunk population because they stunk up the place .....
Sports-Ag
AG
Stay away from the east side.
bam02
AG
Rattler12 said:

12law said:

Bluff Rat said:

We probably would.....if the people moving out here from "the city" wouldn't try to change things from the way they are into what they left in "the city" . I was on the board of our HOA and you'd be surprised at what newcomers ask for....street lights, side walks, speed bumps, bicycle lanes, manicured lawns, no outside burning, regular drive by's by the sheriff's dept, park facilities, getting rid of the deer populations because they ate their landscape, getting rid of the raccoon population because they ate their cat's food, getting rid of the skunk population because they stunk up the place .....

You live in a neighborhood with an HOA and you're worried about city folk moving in???
Rattler12
bam02 said:

Rattler12 said:

12law said:

Bluff Rat said:

You live in a neighborhood with an HOA and you're worried about city folk moving in???
It's a HOA in name only...... pretty lax an lenient group
MookieBlaylock
AG

so it takes you 15 minutes to get out of Alamo Heights and onto 410
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
10 minutes to 410 from house
7-ish to fredericksburg
7-ish to workplace
p_bubel
Halconblack said:

Paul,
Stop falling down on the job! This is an old one but a great starting point.
https://texags.com/forums/62/topics/2006777/1

My wife works for Phyllis Browning (shameless plug) if you need someone to get you into see any options send her a note:
btorrez@phyllisbrowning.com

It's been a ****ty week, my heart just wasn't in it.
TxTarpon
Look around the Leon Creek Greenway trailheads.
Lots of dog walking green space there.
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
Agswinning
I would suggest something off northwest military/wurzbach or off blanco/bitters intersection. Short drive to I10/410 and nice safe areas. Close to many good restaurants and HEB's. Certainly not as prestigious as living in the 78209 but a good place to get started until you learn the city. Now if rents are the same, opt for Alamo heights. But I doubt they are as that's a very desirable school district.
Reload8098
AG
We are renting a house in Alamo Ranch while we build our house in Bulverde. The section we are in has .3 to .5 acre lots and homes are between 2,800 ~ 3,800 sq. ft. Most of the sub-sections if not all are gated. I think homes range from the mid $250k on the lower end on up to around $550k. There are a LOT of retired military here. All of our neighbors have been really welcoming and we have quite a few social get togethers.
aggiejim70
AG
Pinche Abogado said:

We live in Terrell Hills and second this post. It is worth it to live in the '09 bubble.
Let's hear for the mighty MULES/

AHHS '66
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.