Bar and Restaurant close down by Mayor and Guvnah.

2,924 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgCWby90CS
rwtxag83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I say it's BS. I think they could have stayed open with voluntary safety protocol. This is going to hurt a bunch of people. Most of the restaurants were already very dead in terms of customers dining inside. The ones I saw were already putting at least one table between diners and wiping everything down after they leave before seating new ones.

I understand why, I just think if they had some public appeal to everyone to do the right thing if they allow them to stay open, I believe the dining/drinking public and management would have risen to the occasion.

What say you, SAy town board?
Greater love hath no man than this....
Burdizzo
AG
Jim Hasslocher (owner of Jim's restaurants) was on KTSA this morning. I wish I could find the audio. He was pretty calm, but you could tell he was pretty pissed off at the mayor. He said the local restaurant group met with him on Monday, and mayor indicated restaurants could stay open. Then without telling anyone he ordered all restaurant dining rooms closed on Wednesday.
LCE
AG
Shut em down.
Obi Wan Ginobili
rwtxag83 said:

I say it's BS. I think they could have stayed open with voluntary safety protocol. This is going to hurt a bunch of people. Most of the restaurants were already very dead in terms of customers dining inside. The ones I saw were already putting at least one table between diners and wiping everything down after they leave before seating new ones.

I understand why, I just think if they had some public appeal to everyone to do the right thing if they allow them to stay open, I believe the dining/drinking public and management would have risen to the occasion.

It all goes back to slowing the spread of this disease. The government can't force individual people to avoid each other and keep clean, but they can discourage groups of people from congregating inside of a building.

Less people being near each other means less people get sick simultaneously which means less strain on our medical system.

If you disagree with these kinds of measures, you're either not taking this serious enough or you're not looking at the bigger picture.
AgCWby90CS
AG
rwtxag83 said:

Just look at the beach on spring break and you can see the total lack of common sense in this world. Yeah that's millenials (sp? ) and they are being affected more than most, but they live in our neighborhoods. Public appeal hasn't worked so unfortunately (I don't like it) but enforcement has to step in.
CWby '90
Burdizzo
AG
We ate at BBQ Station for our last meal out Tuesday not knowing this was coming. There was only one other couple in the restaurant so we had one of their two dining rooms all to ourselves. People are already staying home in droves.

Hasslocher went through the protocols they were using at his restaurants. The maintain separation, use and change gloves, sanitize furniture and accoutrements between patrons all in compliance with CDC. He went on to add, "they don't do that at HEB."

I stopped at my local HEB at lunch. I touched several tomatoes in the produce aisle trying to find a fresh one. I saw another lady looking through avocadoes. Neither of us were wearing gloves. It was as busy as any church or school. I guess all those laid off wait staff can go apply for jobs there.

I know Abbott made a statewide mandate, but I think this is a little unfair to the restaurant industry.
88planoAg
AG
Burdizzo said:

We ate at BBQ Station for our last meal out Tuesday not knowing this was coming. There was only one other couple in the restaurant so we had one of their two dining rooms all to ourselves. People are already staying home in droves.

Hasslocher went through the protocols they were using at his restaurants. The maintain separation, use and change gloves, sanitize furniture and accoutrements between patrons all in compliance with CDC. He went on to add, "they don't do that at HEB."

I stopped at my local HEB at lunch. I touched several tomatoes in the produce aisle trying to find a fresh one. I saw another lady looking through avocadoes. Neither of us were wearing gloves. It was as busy as any church or school. I guess all those laid off wait staff can go apply for jobs there.

I know Abbott made a statewide mandate, but I think this is a little unfair to the restaurant industry.
It is not absorbed through skin, so touching surfaces won't get you sick unless you touch your face. Wash hands.
Burdizzo
AG
88planoAg said:

Burdizzo said:

It is not absorbed through skin, so touching surfaces won't get you sick unless you touch your face. Wash hands.

So why don't the same protocols apply to the grocery store where people may or may not be touching their faces and the products and the store isn't cleaning the surfaces of the dry goods? I handled several containers of bathroom cleaner until I found what I wanted. I have no idea who handles it before or after me, and there was no one there to clean it between patrons. There is also no separation distance being observed in the grocery store.

What I am getting at is the level of care was higher on the restaurant and they had fewer patrons. The grocery store is just the opposite, yet the government is closing the ones with lower risk.
88planoAg
AG
They cannot close down grocery stores and have people not have access to food. Restaurants can close inside dining. That I think is the thought process anyway. Close what can be closed.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Burdizzo said:

88planoAg said:

Burdizzo said:

So why don't the same protocols apply to the grocery store where people may or may not be touching their faces and the products and the store isn't cleaning the surfaces of the dry goods? I handled several containers of bathroom cleaner until I found what I wanted. I have no idea who handles it before or after me, and there was no one there to clean it between patrons. There is also no separation distance being observed in the grocery store.

What I am getting at is the level of care was higher on the restaurant and they had fewer patrons. The grocery store is just the opposite, yet the government is closing the ones with lower risk.
You can't compare the two at all.

Grocery stores are essential. You deal with the risk because humans MUST eat to survive.

Dining rooms at restaurants and bars are completely non-essential. Take-out/delivery only is the best option and the right move.
Burdizzo
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Burdizzo said:

88planoAg said:

Burdizzo said:

Grocery stores are essential. You deal with the risk because humans MUST eat to survive.

Dining rooms at restaurants and bars are completely non-essential. Take-out/delivery only is the best option and the right move.

Why aren't we forcing grocery stores to deliver at no additional cost?

And why are Target and WalMart open in entirety instead of only the food sections being open?
rwtxag83
AG
What about restaurants in a truck stop? You don't see how truckers need to actually get out of the truck and rest and eat a meal? I don't see restaurants as completely non essential because there are people who truly rely on them. It doesn't mean that they are going to starve without the restaurant, but for some people in many situations it's not practical for them to go to a grocery store. When you completely shut down all restaurants, you shut out all these people, even if the restaurant owner was running it in a completely responsible way.

I understand the potential effects of disease being spread, but if the need for disease control is truly that severe, why aren't they just shutting every single business down?

Why not just have grocery stores work by order fulfillment with curbside pickup so we avoid all people interacting with each other?
Greater love hath no man than this....
88planoAg
AG
rwtxag83 said:

What about restaurants in a truck stop? You don't see how truckers need to actually get out of the truck and rest and eat a meal? I don't see restaurants as completely non essential because there are people who truly rely on them. It doesn't mean that they are going to starve without the restaurant, but for some people in many situations it's not practical for them to go to a grocery store. When you completely shut down all restaurants, you shut out all these people, even if the restaurant owner was running it in a completely responsible way.

I understand the potential effects of disease being spread, but if the need for disease control is truly that severe, why aren't they just shutting every single business down?

Why not just have grocery stores work by order fulfillment with curbside pickup so we avoid all people interacting with each other?

But they aren't shut down. They can do to go.
texan12
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Burdizzo said:

88planoAg said:

Burdizzo said:

So Lowe's and Home Depot are also essential? Customer interaction is even higher in these places than a restaurant. You may as well deliver rice and beans to everyone and close down HEB if you want to be fair or be consistent.
88planoAg
AG
texan12 said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Burdizzo said:

88planoAg said:

Burdizzo said:

So Lowe's and Home Depot are also essential? Customer interaction is even higher in these places than a restaurant. You may as well deliver rice and beans to everyone and close down HEB if you want to be fair or be consistent.

Just went to home Depot today for garden stuff. No problem staying away from other customers. One interaction with one sales clerk who was in a little booth. Easy to maintain distance there too. Much different than a restaurant.
texan12
Great. Sounds like they should only keep the garden center open rather than the inside where everyone is getting paint and pvc pipe.
LawHall88
AG
AgCWby90CS
AG
texan12 said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Burdizzo said:

88planoAg said:

Burdizzo said:

Lowe's and Home Depot provide materials and supplies to an essential business (construction) and therefore are essential and can remain open. Howbeit, they are on limited labor force as I went by last night to get 2x4's and cedar pickets to finish the last section of yard fence this coming weekend.
CWby '90
p_bubel
They've shortened hours as well. I think they're closing at 8.
p_bubel
LawHall88 said:

Honestly, seems the same out here today on the roads as it did on Friday.
LawHall88
AG
p_bubel said:

LawHall88 said:

Honestly, seems the same out here today on the roads as it did on Friday.
Doesn't go into effect until midnight. If anything, I expected a little surge today for people running to businesses that will be closed starting tomorrow, and maybe the person who has been working at home making a quick run to the office to make sure they have everything they need to work at home another 2-3 weeks.
p_bubel
Ok. Thought it was last night.
AgCWby90CS
AG
Since I'm in commercial construction, we'll continue to operate but we will be locking our front door to traffic and then only by appointment so we can filter.
CWby '90
texan12
AgCWby90CS said:

texan12 said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Burdizzo said:

88planoAg said:

Burdizzo said:

Lowe's and Home Depot provide materials and supplies to an essential business (construction) and therefore are essential and can remain open. Howbeit, they are on limited labor force as I went by last night to get 2x4's and cedar pickets to finish the last section of yard fence this coming weekend.

I get that contractors need to work, I'm just saying if this is serious then the general public shouldn't be allowed to shop there.
LCE
AG
Son working part time at Lowe's Bandera &1604. Sent a text saying it was packed.
AgCWby90CS
AG
I agree with you on general public, just explaining why they were still open.

This article is spot on with this silly shelter in place imposed on us.
"Shelter in Place" Orders Are Stupid & Cannot Possibly Work
[url=https://www.uspoliticsandnews.com/author/ngnadmin/]https://www.uspoliticsandnews.com/shelter-in-place-orders-are-stupid-cannot-possibly-work/[/url]
Last updated Mar 24, 2020

The morning after California's governor Nancy Pelosi's nephew issued a "Shelter in Place" executive order for all of the state's 40 million residents, nearly every single person in California rushed out to the grocery stores at the same time. The only thing that these possibly unconstitutional orders are accomplishing is scaring people and spreading the Chinese coronavirus to more people.
If you happen to live in a state that has not yet issued one of these dumb and pointless Shelter in Place orders, you'll want to get in touch with your state lawmakers and urge them to keep your state's economy open. This is really, really dumb.
At my first attempt at getting into a grocery store that first morning, the line stretched around the side of the building and then across the street, more than a block away. They initially allowed about fifty people into the store and were letting five customers at a time in after that. When five customers left, five more got to go in. The line was crawling at a snail's pace and it was 36 degrees outside.
I went to a second store where they were just letting everyone in. Eventually, as I was shopping in those thick crowds, they had to call security to prevent more people from getting into the store because it had become a fire hazard.
I was finally a "one percenter" at something in life part of the one percent of shoppers who were actually considerate enough to wear a mask to protect others. No one could "socially distance" themselves from others because we were all packed into the store like sardines, wondering if this is the last time we'll be allowed to shop for groceries for our families for the next several weeks.
Every grocery store in California, New York and other places becomes a giant Chinese virus petri dish the morning after these idiotic "Shelter in Place" orders are issued. Has it occurred to anyone that we're going about this coronavirus plan totally bass-ackwards?

Other than "essential" businesses like grocery stores and gas stations, all other businesses are being shut down to deal with a virus that isn't even as dangerous as the seasonal flu. Millions of people were thrown out of work overnight in states and counties where these dumb orders have been issued. People seem to think that an economy is like a light switch that can be turned on and off at a whim. It can't.
The fallout from this stupidity is going to be catastrophic. Governor Cuomo in New York deemed that hedge funds are "essential businesses" and allowed them to stay open. But if you're a waiter, a hairdresser or a clothing retailer whose name isn't "Walmart," well, tough.
We're taking extraordinary measures that are harmful to the entire population in order to protect the elderly and people with secondary infections who are at most risk from the Chinese virus. Couldn't we have approached this problem from the other direction, rather than destroying millions of lives and businesses? We can't tell who has the virus and we don't have sufficient testing available because the CDC lied to the Trump administration multiple times at the start of this outbreak. But we do know who our elderly and sick people are.
America could have easily mobilized its people to protect those at-risk people while keeping the rest of our economy safe. We could have done that at a cost of about 1% of what we're going to spend bailing out airlines, hotels and other industries that we have crippled to protect people over the age of 70. We could have called for brigades of proven-healthy-through-testing volunteers to deliver food and other essentials to the elderly and the sick while wearing hazmat suits, while keeping everyday Americans who face a nearly zero percent chance of dying from coronavirus at work.
The fatality rate for people under 40, worldwide, is about 0.03% according to the latest numbers. No one under the age of 30 has died from the virus in Italy. For 40- to 60-year-olds, the mortality rate is around 4%. Another 10% are in the 60-70 age range. The remaining 85% of fatalities are over the age of 70. Worldwide, only one person under the age of 20 has died from it (in Wuhan).
One final note: The conservative CPAC conference ended more than three weeks ago. The "Patient Zero" at that event shook hands with hundreds of attendees, including US Senators and Congressmen. Those people potentially shook hands with additional thousands upon thousands of people and then went home to their families. How many have died as a result of that? Oh, right. Zero.
Food for thought as you're sitting at home and being prevented from working over a virus that just doesn't seem to be hurting very many people in America.
CWby '90
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.