Props A, B & C

6,644 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jgh85Ag
MookieBlaylock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also the reduce taxes line of crap

This prop smells bad
Pruchop01
AG
I am an Aggie and in the SAFD. Look at who is against the props. Big money. Everyone who already gets contracts from the city council. Everyone who has already spent the money to buy votes. These prop A puts the power back to the tax payer. That is why they are so scared. Should a city manager make more than the governor and president of the United stated combined. If you don't think so vote for prop B. The city has been sueing us for 5 years over the last contract. All we want in prop C is a neutral third party the city doesn't control. Please vote for prop C. How often does the democratic and republican parties agree. Both parties support all the props. That should tell you some thing. We don't have the money the other side does. We can't get the info out. Vote yes to all.
Pruchop01
AG
https://empowertexans.com/central-texas/san-antonio-voters-to-decide-three-ballot-propositions/

For a non biased opinion. Read this. If you think the media is non biased in San Antonio, than you are mistaken. Ask Trump About media.
Burdizzo
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

Got a flyer in the mail today saying that "the Republican Party" supports all three. I'm smelling BS.

And I got on too yesterday.
valtosca
AG
Prop A - Yes. Aligns us with other Home Rule cities and state statute on petitions for General Law cities. Our bond rating should not be affected with it's passing (see my post on pg 1) and we can at least vote on some future stupid City Council decisions (i.e. sick pay ordinance) more easily going forward.

Prop B - p_bubel got me to "no". Good reasoning sir!

Prop C - "no". Sorry Pruchop01 but y'all already have a union and y'all need to negotiate your terms with the city. Heck, it seems like y'all won the last negotiation by getting a 10 year evergreen. It's a shame the city is wasting money with a law suit because what incentive does the Fire Union have to show up to the negotiating table until 10 years from the end of the last contract? (please educate me if I have misunderstood this... I have only watched enough to come to that opinion) I do feel y'all should fight to keep the good health insurance. Your line of work warrants great health care because nearly every call puts your day to day health at risk. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR CITY.

Everyone: I have appreciated this thread because I feel there was some meaningful discussion. It encouraged me to educate myself on the Props and help educate others. Gig'em!
Pruchop01
AG
An answer for prop c is an easy yes. Every public safety union has an evergreen clause. That is standard practice. That is why the Texas Supreme Court did not even hear the city's case. Scullys contract even has an evergreen clause. It is illegal for a public safety union to strike. That is the purpose of an evergreen clause. What is not said is that when we are in evergreen we do not get raises or any additional benefit. So the city is actually not concerned with a new contract. The purpose of prop c is to try to level the playing field with the city. Right now they can lie and hide money during negotiations which they do. If an impass is reached we are asking for a third party to come in and find common ground. It would be illegal for the city to lie during arbitration. So all their cards have to be on the table. Then the three arbitrators will make a binding decition. Don't believe what the fake media is reporting. Do more research. And yes the Republican Party backs the props. I would think that being from a concervative background y'all would realize these props are about smaller government with more oversight. That is what trump is all about. At is what the Republicans are all about. I guess to many of y'all are believers in all the Democrats running city hall and what the Democrat media is reporting. And yes the Bexar county Democrats support them to, but the media won't report that. So I really don't care if you vote for the first two, but please support prop c.
Pruchop01
AG
Yes we have good insurance. That is because we have given up so much in the past negotiations. The city denies most of our workman's comp claims and denied all cancer claims. We have buried 4 fire fighters in the past three years. From job related cancers. One was Lt. Max Weltens in July,class of 95' I believe. A good Aggie. These are young guys with young kids. A dozen more are battling now or are survivors. The facts are there we are (in certain cancers) firefighters are some times twice as likely to get these cancers. Legislation has been written they should be covered by workman's comp but that is denied by the city. Long story short. Prop C will help us go to a third party to help make decisions when the city has in no way negotiated in good faith. Please support prop c.
Pruchop01
AG
Also what is not reported is during negotiations we offered to run our own health insurance. Take it out of the city's hands therefore only negotiate wages. We would be paying premiums to our own benefits keeping the city out. They immediately said no. Their reason was what if it fails than y'all would have nothing. Our response was than we will go under the same insurance as all the other city employees if ours fails. They wanted nothing to do with that. They want us to pay them the premiums because most firefighters are young and in great shape and don't use their insurance. If you think one side is shady always look at the side with the trained politicians. Vote yes has nothing to hide.
Pruchop01
AG
The only prop that directly effects firefighters is C. That is the only one that we wanted. We took the lead in helping all the other groups like street car, statue being taken down, Hays street bridge, Alamo plaza and the list goes on. Everyone is tired of being lied to by the city manager and the council she controls. Everyone just wants a chance to have a say and vote on issues. The city has run a great smear campaign against steel. Smear works as you can see on the national level.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
The truth lies somewhere in the middle between the union and the city
rgag12
AG
The "No" campaign is going to win this pretty easily. All the top democratic city leaders are parroting "No" and have pumped a lot of money into advertising. That's all the low-information Hispanic and young people need.
mccjames
AG
Workers comp is purchased and controlled by the insurance company. Unless the city is self funding workers comp, they have no control over denying or approving claims.
Burdizzo
AG
San Antonio may self-insure. Does that have an impact on workers comp?
Pruchop01
AG
The city is self insured and controls workman's comp claims.
valtosca
AG
With 84% reporting , it "YES" on all three leads. It looks like A and B are a solid "YES" but there's only a 2K vote difference on C. I'm honestly surprised because "NO" was well organized.
jgh85Ag
AG
No
Yes
Maybe
CoolaidWade
AG
It's amazing how prop "C" was so close. Half the city voted against their firefighters.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
CoolaidWade said:

It's amazing how prop "C" was so close. Half the city voted against their firefighters.

Because citizens didn't want to see the fire union twist the city's arm into arbitration over little things the union would deem as "unfair" to them.
valtosca
AG
Final:
A - No
B - Yes
C - Yes
http://home.bexar.org/el45a.htm
CoolaidWade
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

CoolaidWade said:

Because citizens didn't want to see the fire union twist the city's arm into arbitration over little things the union would deem as "unfair" to them.

Ok, got it. I assumed the "little things" were just a actual contract which they haven't got in five years.
Pruchop01
AG
Thanks to all that supported us.
Burdizzo
AG
The fire union doesn't want a new contract because they know a new one will cut back on their benefits. They are happy to continue under the evergreen provision and still make the city look like the unfaithful partner in this deal.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Burdizzo said:

The fire union doesn't want a new contract because they know a new one will cut back on their benefits. They are happy to continue under the evergreen provision and still make the city look like the unfaithful partner in this deal.

This. The fire union also thinks that having zero healthcare premiums for self and family is a right because they have always had it. The city manager is right in saying that is unsustainable. The general public / taxpayers see this as throwing a temper tantrum. All the union needs to do is agree to a % pay increase and begin to pay premiums for the healthcare . It's not that hard.
CoolaidWade
AG
Burdizzo said:

If you completely reverse that then you would be right. The FD wants a new contract before evergreen expires. After five years of no faith by the city of SA it now benefits the city to let it run out where the FD has no leg to stand on with no contract. They are essentially starving the FD out at this point.

At least now, with a whopping 51% of the vote by the citizens maybe the two can finally go to the table and make a fair contract for both sides. Five years now.
Burdizzo
AG
The union can get a contract any time they want, but they know it won't be nearly as good as what they have now. They know sticking with the evergreen is far better (fatter) than any contract deal the city will propose. The union is starving themselves rather than face economic reality that the city can't afford their and the police union's demands.

Taxpayers pay the fire and police salaries and benefits. I think Sculley is overpaid, but I support her stance on this contract issue.
Pruchop01
AG
We have wanted a contract for five years. Negotiations are supposed to be done in "good faith". How is it possible to negotiate a contract with your employer when they are suing you over the last contract. It was easy. Drop the lawsuit that everyone in both sides knew would never win and get back to the table to negotiate. City never dropped the lawsuit. Never came to negotiate "in good faith". Every contract is worth so much money. We either get that in raises or insurance. We have always given up raises for insurance. We offered to take over our own insurance to take it out of negotiations but the city actually makes money off of it and they do not want to give it up. If the city won't negotiate in good faith what is the next option. Binding arbitration. Why do you think the city was opposed to it? Because the arbitrators will see what the city is doing and agree with us. All they had to do is drop the lawsuit.
Burdizzo
AG
The city doesn't "make money" off of insurance when they self-insure. They save the taxpayers money by self-insuring all city workers under the same umbrella. Splitting it up to let the FD go buy it on the open market is going to cost the city and taxpayers more money.

Again, the FD Union has a sweetheart deal to stick with the evergreen clause as long as possible because they know they will never get that good of a deal again. Arbitration just means they still have a chance to keep it in force. It is really the only choice they have other than come to the table. But the union won't do that because the evergreen clause is too good.
Pruchop01
AG
Agree to disagree but thanks for telling me what is going on in a union I am an active member and talk to the reps every day.
Burdizzo
AG
Pruchop01 said:

Agree to disagree but thanks for telling me what is going on in a union I am an active member and talk to the reps every day.

I don't expect union members to talk any differently that what you have been doing. Don't take that as an insult. It is just the expectation I have being 50-years-old and watching union tactics for decades.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Best thread on this board since the revolution
Pruchop01
AG
You can tell us. This is a trust tree. Are you Scully or Ron?
p_bubel
****in lunatics

Quote:

Regarding Prop B, the measure will not affect Sculley; her contract is not retroactive under Prop B. While Brockhouse admitted she has performed well in the position, he believes she should step down.

"I do believe that it's time to turn the page on the city manager," said Brockhouse. "I also called today for the city council to give serious consideration to begin a nationwide search after we 'right-size' that job description."

"I think she should resign," he added.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Why should she resign her job again?

Clearly prob b was nothing more than more political bs
jgh85Ag
AG
City's credit rating took a hit because of #3. That will cost the city and tax payers a lot of money.
SanAntoneAg
AG
True that.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.