San Antonio to get Triple-AAA baseball team...

2,300 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Burdizzo
Danther37
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

In completely irrelevant news, SA to get a AAA team. I know what it means in baseball terms but as far as overall contribution to a city who couldn't care less about baseball, I just don't see the point if I'm the Elmore Group or city management.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/missions/article/Double-A-Missions-to-leave-San-Antonio-after-2018-11236500.php?ipid=brkbar
fido00
AG
I wish they would put a field up 35. Minor league baseball would be fun, but there is no way in hell I'm driving all the way over to Wolff.
AgCat93
AG
We'd get to see them here in Nashville when they play the Sounds. Nashville is in the Pacific Coast League too.
Twelfthman99
AG
The rumor I heard was that SARA was going to revitalize San Pedro Creek from the 35/10 interchange to El Mercado and part of the plan included putting a stadium where the football field is located currently. If that is true, the outfield view will be the skyline of downtown. If they are smart, they'll build a 20K seat capacity stadium with ability to expand to 40+ if we can ever steal a MLB team. Whatever they do, a new stadium is a must for AAA. Wolff started showing its age 20 years ago and is a POS.
agdoc2001
AG
If they do $2 for 2 tacos and a Tecate like in EL Paso, I'm in.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
fido00
AG
now THAT is a promotion I could get behind, too.
Producers_96
AG
fido00 said:

now THAT is a promotion I could get coming out of my behind, too.
FIFY...
Burdizzo
AG
Twelfthman99 said:

The rumor I heard was that SARA was going to revitalize San Pedro Creek from the 35/10 interchange to El Mercado and part of the plan included putting a stadium where the football field is located currently. If that is true, the outfield view will be the skyline of downtown. If they are smart, they'll build a 20K seat capacity stadium with ability to expand to 40+ if we can ever steal a MLB team. Whatever they do, a new stadium is a must for AAA. Wolff started showing its age 20 years ago and is a POS.

I agree with you about Judge Wolff.
Burdizzo
AG
Twelfthman99 said:

That is a new one on me. I always thought the city/county wanted to build it by Hays Street Bridge.
p_bubel
They've looked at several different places.
aggie_fan13
AG
as long as they keep the dollar beer nights im game
aggie_fan13
AG
Most likely i bet will be downtown if not somewhere on the NE side by Toyota Field. I wish they would put it over at alamo stadium that would be great
treetop flyer
SA leadership will **** up the location. A first class stadium in proximity to downtown with expansion capability makes too much sense.
AggieAtty
AG
aggie_fan13
AG
also can we scrap the new missions uniforms and logos, look like hell. bring back the black and gold
O'Doyle Rules
AG
City council and leadership will indeed screw up the location. Just like the at&t center. However, what is lost in all this is that AAA ball is not really a step up IMO. AAA is where careers go to die and players rehab. The future stars are in AA. SA should have gone for an mlb team or keep AA ball.
Producers_96
AG
This will probably be as successful as replacing the Iguanas (lower minor league, wildly popular) with the Rampage (hockey equivalent of AAA ball, but nobody goes to the games).
Burdizzo
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

City council and leadership will indeed screw up the location. Just like the at&t center. However, what is lost in all this is that AAA ball is not really a step up IMO. AAA is where careers go to die and players rehab. The future stars are in AA. SA should have gone for an mlb team or keep AA ball.

If you saw Nelson Wolff on KSAT last night you could tell he was a little pissed off. 1) He really wants to be able to take credit for MLB or NFL coming to San Antonio. 2) The AAA team still won be affiliated with the Rangers or Astros, 3) He was caught off guard because he wasn't notified of the team swap.. 4) He suspects (an he is probably right) the new team is going to expect local government to pay for upgrading the existing stadium or paying for a new stadium.

I am no fan of Wolff an his personal dream of a baseball team with his mark on it and government subsidies for sports venues, so seeing him pissed off is fine with me
superunknown
AG
Hearing today the AAA club will be a rangers affiliate, with houston moving their aaa affiliation to Round Rock, leaving Fresno for the Brewers.

Also, part of this was Elmore losing lots of money in C. Springs and nobody wanting their AAA affiliation at that altitude (6500 feet) so he's moving some random Montana summer rookie league team there.

Elmore took advantage of a new park in Amarillo and shuffled teams to get one of his there.
p_bubel
superunknown said:

Hearing today the AAA club will be a rangers affiliate, with houston moving their aaa affiliation to Round Rock, leaving Fresno for the Brewers.

Also, part of this was Elmore losing lots of money in C. Springs and nobody wanting their AAA affiliation at that altitude (6500 feet) so he's moving some random Montana summer rookie league team there.

Elmore took advantage of a new park in Amarillo and shuffled teams to get one of his there.
Yeah. Amarillo is building a $45,000,000 stadium for the team downtown, which will keep the Missions name.

Quote:

The Elmore Sports Group will move its San Antonio franchise to Amarillo and into a $45.5 million downtown stadium for the 2019 season.
Link

Quote:

Amarillo won over an effort from Wichita, Kan., with a population of 400,000 and a proposed $60 million stadium along the Arkansas River, Elmore said. To a lesser extent, Lubbock was also considered.
bam02
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

This. Triple A vs Double A means nothing to me as a spectator. And screw that fatcat Wolff.
aggie_fan13
AG
damn wolff and damn SA, we need an mlb team
aggie_fan13
AG
I keep hearing that they might be considering having them play in the Alamodome
SanAntoneAg
AG
No way San Antonio can support a MLB team. Or NFL.

Edit: no way San Antonio will support a MLB team. Or NFL.
babie_kreauxda
AG

Twelfthman99, FYI - San Pedro Creek is under construction now. Check it out:

http://spcproject.org/

MookieBlaylock
AG
as could easily support both
Piss off Yankee
PLUM LOCO
AG
SA would have absolutely no problem supporting an NFL franchise.

With the correct facility I can see an MLB franchise being viable.
aggie_fan13
AG
i believe the lack of corporate money in SA and the lack of upper income demographic is what is holding back a major league franchise from either sport. Those box suites are where the teams make a good chunk of cash
PLUM LOCO
AG
Azul you are correct about the corporate $ holding SA back.

The population would willing throw down the money to attend the games.
aggie_fan13
AG
im still amazed how buffalo has a team, green bay i can understand because of the histroy and the devotion, not sure about buffalo though. but yes the lack of corporate money is the main reason. USAA, Valero, HEB , Tesoro, and maybe i heart media can not sustain season after season of buying out those suites
PLUM LOCO
AG
Jacksonville?

The team that I feel SA was stiffed on.
p_bubel
Jerry Jones will never allow an NFL team in the city.

I wouldn't be surprised if a new baseball stadium is proposed for the Institute of Texan Cultures site.
aggie_fan13
AG
jones has stated he would support one, then again he could just be saying that. And that would be a good location for a stadium, i think the new hemisfair park is already planned for that area
superunknown
AG
azulAg said:

im still amazed how buffalo has a team, green bay i can understand because of the histroy and the devotion, not sure about buffalo though. but yes the lack of corporate money is the main reason. USAA, Valero, HEB , Tesoro, and maybe i heart media can not sustain season after season of buying out those suites

Iheart cant even support the debt service on their $20B in debt.
aggie_fan13
AG
How they haven't gone bankrupt yet is wow
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.